mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha driver duplicated"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 13, 2012 @ 11:58 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2036
Joined  01-29-2004

I just updated the software on my CC121 and the update included a new driver.  I checked in Devices (Windows 7 64bit) and see that I now have two identical (V.3.1.2) Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (WDM) listed.

Do I uninstall one of them, or do I just leave it as it is and not worry about it?

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2012 @ 03:18 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5334
Joined  12-23-2002

Peter, the 3.1.2 driver was part of the new Tools download for the CC121...correct? Did you have that driver already installed previously? Do both instances look identical...i.e. same date, both working etc.? Not sure how that could have occurred, but the problem with uninstalling one driver is that perhaps it will be the wrong one or remove some files. IF you decide to uninstall then reinstall, what might be better is to remove BOTH instances then reinstall. I always hesitate to recommend uninstall/reinstall, but with a driver you should be safe. In any case, I suggest that you look at both entries carefully and see if you can find any hints as to what has happened. I assume that the device is working properly now?...........frank

PS: if you do decide to uninstall, make sure you follow the uninstall instructions in the Installation Guide that came with your Tools file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2012 @ 10:57 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

Hi Frank, yes, the driver was part of the new Tools CC121 update.  I am actually not sure if I had that actual rev level previously installed.

Certainly all recording seems to be working fine.  Anyway, I’ll check more closely and see if there are any differences.

cheers, Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2012 @ 02:02 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

I checked the driver details and they are both the same date and rev level ; 01/11/2011 V 3.1.2.0

However, looking closer at Properties I see that the location for each is different :

Port_#0001.Hub_#0004 and Port_#0002.Hub_#0005

By the way, I do not use a Hub. Do you think there are two separate drivers because I have two Yamaha devices - the CC121 and the ES?

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2012 @ 10:33 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Well we’re getting into a question here that Yamaha should really answer, but I haven’t seen that on a PC previously. One driver should cover both. And I also don’t understand that bit about the hubs since you don’t have a USB hub in place. Maybe “port” is the operative word?? As you know I’m on a Mac, so can’t compare, but personally I find it odd when I consider what you are seeing. Maybe someone from Yamaha could comment or you could ask the question on the CC121 forum, and determine if others see the same thing? I definitely know what I’d do :) but in this case, best that I leave comments on this driver situation to Yamaha reps here. Cheers............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2012 @ 11:53 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

OK Frank, thanks. It probably makes sense to uninstall them both and reinstall one. However, I’ll leave it a couple of days and maybe someone from Yamaha (Phil?) will come in with some advice.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2012 @ 12:44 PM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Peter,
Any answers to your questions yet? I would have thought that by now someone from Yamaha or Steinberg would have responded. In any case, if you require additional assistance re. this situation, just send me a PM and we’ll see what we can do privately. :) Cheers.............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 01:16 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

No, no responses Frank.  I guess the problem is not recognised. PM sent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 05:53 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

I do not see an issue here. Is something not working?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 10:44 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

No Phil, it’s working fine as far as I can see, but of course two versions of the same driver being loaded is unusual.

My main concern was that there may have been problems in the update and, most importantly, perhaps two installations of the same driver may cause a future problem under some circumstances.

In any event, on the assumption that this duplicated driver is peculiar to my own system and not a symptom of a problem with the CC121 update, I guess the obvious course of action is to uninstall both drivers and reinstall a single version, would you agree?

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2012 @ 03:41 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Pedrhaps one of the versions is not 64-bit ?

I’d also check - as mine reports Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (WDM) 3.1.2.1 (not 3.1.2.0 as you reported)

I’d uninstall them - get the latest from http://www.steinberg.net
1) when you install this see if it does not report 3.1.2.1 when you go to CONTROL PANELS > PROGRAMS and look for the version. This will work with both the CC121 and the Motif (at least I have no issues).

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 10:03 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

Thanks, and I have figured it out.  It’s actually my understanding of Windows!  (By the way, I did only download the 64bit version).

As I noted above, if I look in Device Manager I see two instances of the Yamaha Driver, both routed differently.  Also noted above, I wondered if there were two instances because I had two Yamaha devices. So I did some experimentation, and whilst observing the Devices page I switched off the ES. One of the drivers disappeared. I switched off the CC121 and the other disappeared. I switched both devices on again and the driver notices reappeared.  As a point of interest, both retained their routing/mapping indications of port and hub.  (By the way, I still don’t understand the Hub reference as I don’t use one, both devices are directly connected to the computer). To be sure that I understood what was going on, I thought I would check elsewhere, and looked in Control Panel. In fact, in there, only one Yamaha USB Driver is noted.

B_M, as yours reports V3.2.1.1, 1 decided anyway to update the driver.  I downloaded the latest from Yamahsynth.com (I could not find a driver only download on the Steinberg site) and updated the driver. I checked the version and it is still V3.1.2.0.  I did the same with the download from Yamaha Pro Audio with the same result - V3.1.2.0.  So it seems I cannot find V3.1.2.1. Perhaps you could comment.

So, in conclusion, if you have more than one Yamaha device connected and powered, the Device Manager in Windows shows more than one instance of the driver, with its attendant routing.  The Control Panel will show one driver irrespective of the number of connections. So I guess the latter shows the driver, the former shows its current use.

So, sorry, it’s me being dumb as far as Windows is concerned, but I would still be interested in the question of the driver version number.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 10:50 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Ah-ha! What I suspect might be happening then is your ONE driver is simply creating virtual ports for the devices using it. Nothing to do with using a hardware hub or having two separate drivers. Creating ports is probably how the driver is able to handle more than one device at a time. Switching the devices on and off seems to verify that.
I could not understand why you had ended up with two “drivers”, so am pleased your mystery is solved. :) As far as the version of the driver, I doubt the difference between what you have and what Bad Mister has is major, but perhaps he can advise you re. where you can obtain the version that is more recent than the one currently in use. Cheerio..................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 02:27 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  2344
Joined  01-25-2005

Windows installs drivers to what USB port it sees it on. If you plug the same device in a second time but to a different USB port, it prompts for a driver! I think it creates a virtual hub and then treats each USB jack on the machine as a different port. Make sure you use the same USB jack every time you plug in the CC121.

Macs don’t do this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2012 @ 03:14 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-29-2004

OK thanks, but I did indeed replug the ES and the CC121 into the same inputs as before the update. I always use the same plugs into the same connections as a matter of practice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 29, 2012 @ 10:16 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi Peter,
The latest issue of the driver that I know of is from Dec. 1, 2011 and, for example, can be obtained here:
http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/index.html
I think it’s the same release as is on the Steinberg site, but I also didn’t check yet.
Perhaps Bad Mister has a version that has not yet been posted officially?

In any case, yes, with your devices it’s always a good idea to stick with the same ports, as you are doing, especially when running multiple devices, but then again for some devices the rule isn’t written in stone. In any case, that really has little to do with what you were seeing here. Interesting too to note that some people are reporting on the Steinberg forum that when they are running two devices which utilize the same USB-MIDI driver, one of the devices won’t allow the other one to connect. Fortunately neither you or I are experiencing that...thank goodness! :) Cheerio...............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Upgrade to AI 6 from AI 4?
Next Topic:

burning a audio cd ››