mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling a Roland MKS-20 piano patch"

Posted on: January 13, 2010 @ 10:40 AM
alejandro
Total Posts:  162
Joined  09-26-2006

Hi there!

I’m planning to sample a piano patch note-by-note from an old Roland module (MKS-20) exclusively with my Motif ES (no more software tools for me now, please...). I know the intern procedure inside the Motif ES, but I’m still wondering some questions:

1. Number of layers. It’s an old module (1986), but the piano patch sound has great dynamics. So, should I sample more than one layer? If so, how many? Two, three or four? If I had a Motif XS, could I sample up to eight layers, couldn’t I?

2. Velocity range. My master midi keyboard to sample the roland module is going to be the Motif as well. But pressing the keys could result different veolcities for each note . So my idea is to fix the velocity value(in Utility menu) in order to get an uniform sound for each layer. But, which is the best velocity value for the note to start sampling? I mean, if I’m just sampling 1 layer, I have a large range from velocity 1 to 127, so should I press for example the note with a velocity of 64 to get an intermediate velicty or what? I don’t really know

And, what if I’m trying to sample 2-layers? Which is the best velocity value for sampling notes in each of the layers. One layer could cover from 1 to 60 and another from 61 to 127, right? So the right velocity note for each layer could be 30 and 90 respectively,

3. Note duration. Which should be the right time for each note? I know there is a “loop option” in Motif (never been used, by the way), so this could be my first time using it… Any advice?

4. Saving voices. Once sampled, can’t I save only my sampled voice? Do I have to save “All voice”? Is there another way to save only my sampled voice?

That’s all for now.
I hope you can give me some nice advice. ;-)

Best regards,
Alex.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2010 @ 12:02 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Some answers:

I’d try playing the MKS with some fixed velocities and figure out which ones give you the response you want.

Saving as All Voice is OK because you can reload single voices from any All Voice or All file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2010 @ 12:20 PM
alejandro
Total Posts:  162
Joined  09-26-2006

Thanks. I’ll try it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 22, 2010 @ 10:25 PM
crcraft
Total Posts:  62
Joined  03-20-2009

How’s the MKS-20 sampling coming along? I’m looking for MKS-20 Piano samples to layer with some DX stuff I came up with using the motif XS wave rom. Can’t find any good samples on the internet. I’m trying to find an MKS-20 or P-330 for a half decent price. There becoming quite popular again.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading samples?
Next Topic:

A Little Clarity on USER WAVES/ SAMPLES ››