mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editor error OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard"

Posted on: November 12, 2009 @ 01:41 PM
Vaucluse84
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-12-2009

After switching from PC to Mac I downloaded and installed the USB-MIDI Driver for Mac OS X (10.4.11 - 10.6) V1.2.1 , Studio Manager V2.3.1 for Mac OS X, the MOTIF-RACK Multi Part Editor V2.1.6 for Mac OS X and the MOTIF-RACK Voice Editor V2.1.6 for Mac OS X on my Mac Pro. The installation process never showed anything unnormal compared to other installations i.e. it always asked for my administrator password, license acception and installing location.
Now when I start Studio Manager and want to add the editor modules in the workspace I get the following error: Following component(s) could not be loaded. Please ensure that you have installed required component(s) correctly.
On the PC there was always a Yamaha-folder including an .exe-file to run the editors in a stand-alone version. But on my Mac I don’t find anything to prove the installation worked properly. Am I missing something?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2009 @ 03:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It’s a Mac… anything that made you feel comfortable on a PC is going to missing on a Mac (lol)

Yamaha just released a Snow Leopard compatibility schedule, which can be found via a link on the main page at the official Yamaha synthesizer website: http://www.yamahasynth.com

Missing from the list (entirely) are the original Motif (2001), the original Motif Rack (2002), and the original S90 (2002) - I don’t know what that means, but I will try and get verification. It may be just too far back to update to Snow Leopard. As soon as I get word I’ll let you know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2009 @ 04:26 PM
Vaucluse84
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-12-2009

Hey BM,

thanks for your answer. in fact there was nothing that made me feel comfortable on the windows pc and trying out vista to get a 64-bit os was mere a catastrophe. so I switched to the mac platform and its a lot better now. no 100 % disc activity any more when there’s no program running, no stupid questions, no bluescreen....

back to the yamaha issue: I killed the studio manager already because it caused Cubase to crash when trying to use my EWQL plugins. I will have to wait if there will be a version running with EWQL so now I’ll try to fiddle around with MIDI Quest. but I’ll keep an eye on yamahas new software releases; maybe there will be something in the future for old faithful motif rack, who knows.

a late thank you for your efforts ;)

V84

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2010 @ 01:14 PM
phentalmyst
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-16-2010

just wondering if there’s any update on this. i bought an imac over the weekend and im having the same issues that the OP had.

if there isnt any way to use the editors for the classic rack, is there at least a way to transfer my saved voices and multis from the classic to an ES or XS? do they even have the same sounds to begin with?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2010 @ 09:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Motif Rack (2002) “VOICE” data can be opened by the Motif ES (2003), and Motif-Rack ES (2004). They both have a “look up table” that will find the appropriate waveform data for any Motif-Rack VOICE.

So any Motif-Rack VOICE EDITOR file .w6e can be opened by the Motif ES or Motif-Rack ES Editors.

Not the MULTIs - just the VOICE data

The Motif XS (2008) cannot open the original Motif-Rack VOICE data directly… so much has changed… however, it can open Motif ES and/or Motif-Rack ES file data. But the effect processors have changed radically through the generations, so you would wind up redoing the Voices anyway.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2010 @ 07:11 AM
SugarKeys
Joined  03-02-2010

...back to the OP’s issue, just wanted to add that I’m having the same problem, running OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel Mac and SM 2.3.2. I know it’s been brought up elsewhere but those threads seem to be dead.

I have a MO6 and a Motif Rack (2002) both hooked up via USB and being recognized no sweat. Both show up and work correctly in my Nuendo sessions, in both OS X and when I boot to my Windows XP 32-bit partition.

For both XP and OS X, I installed the current versions of:

-Yamaha USB-MIDI driver
-Studio Manager
-Voice and Multi editors for Motif-Rack
-Voice and Multi editors for MO6

Set it all up on Windows, everything works fine, Studio Manager is happy with the editors for both MO and MRack and everything works. In OS X, MO all good, but MRack gives the same “could not be loaded” message as Vaucluse. And my firmwares are all up to date.

Makes me think you’re right about the compatibility schedule thing. Also, the editors for the MRack are April 2006, the ones for the MO are July 2007, and the current SM is December 2009, which might explain a thing or two.

Please let me know if there’s any workarounds for this (older versions of SM for mac, perhaps?)

And FWIW let me voice my disappointment that new OS support isn’t being prioritized for the older Motifs. They’re not obsolete. At all. You see them on stages all the time. The original rack unit especially benefits from strong editor support. I guess I’ll be fine doing it all in Windows. But isn’t this audioland? Yamaha needs to show the apple some love…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 06, 2010 @ 03:25 PM
lapgpiano
Joined  02-25-2010

I have the same problem with my macbook and the motif rack. The software SM2(new version) no read the voice editor and the multi editor.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2010 @ 04:54 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

You have to open Studio Manager in Rosetta (apparently the Motif-Rack Editors were created for the Power PC, and not Universal Binary)

To open them:

Go to your APPLICATIONS folder
Open it, and find the YAMAHA folder
Open the STUDIO MANAGER folder
Highlight the “SM2” icon and click COMMAND + I to view SM2 Info.
Check “Open with Rosetta”
Open SM2
Add Motif-Rack (Multi) and Motif-Rack (Voice)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 04, 2010 @ 07:55 PM
SugarKeys
Joined  03-02-2010

Thank you sir! Works like a charm. Good to learn about Rosetta, very useful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2010 @ 06:48 PM
lapgpiano
Joined  02-25-2010

Thanks man, you are the best!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2011 @ 08:33 PM
phentalmyst
Joined  02-16-2010

nevermind!!! i got it! :D

thanks!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2011 @ 03:28 PM
ajscorpio
Total Posts:  8
Joined  06-05-2007
Bad_Mister - 23 March 2010 04:54 PM

You have to open Studio Manager in Rosetta

Hi Bad Mister

The next version of OSX ("Lion") is expected to be released this month (July 2011).  I understand that Lion will drop support for Rosetta.

If Lion does not support Rosetta then we won’t be able to use the Voice Editor and the Multi Part Editor for the original Motif Rack.

Do you know if Yamaha has any plans to issue updated versions of the Voice Editor and the Multi Part Editor that will not require Rosetta and will work natively in Lion?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 07:33 AM
raklbo
Total Posts:  191
Joined  05-03-2006

That would interest me too. Many of us have begun with the origin motif and subsequently purchased additional equipment. The older units are still in use and it would be desirable if Yamaha would be here to support the user.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2011 @ 09:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

It would also be desirable if the Apple continued to support Power PC… I will forward your request to Yamaha, if you register yours with Apple! :-)

I’ll let you know. As the Motif (2001), Motif-Rack (2002), and Motif ES (2003) are not on the current EVALUATION COMPATIBILITY list, this does not make it appear likely that updates are scheduled. (Actually it says that no Evaluation is scheduled for the Motif ES). I would imagine they have to cutoff support at some point - as computer Operating System seem bent on obsoleting things so previous programs can’t run (doesn’t seem right for companies as big as those responsible for the computer OS’s to just do that, but who’s gonna tell them different?)

I imgaine they want (expect/estimate/are forcing) you to buy a new Mac… hmmm! And when you do, you have to accept that they are not going to support your old gear. The entire music industry struggles with these shifts, as our customers tend to keep gear for 10 years, while NO ONE KEEPS a COMPUTER for 10 YEARS… or virtually, no one. This is why you see warnings from many companies, not to upgrade to LION until evaluations and new versions can be tested and confirmed working. You can see Yamaha’s progress as reported:

http://download.yamaha.com/os-compatibility/lion/

Sorry, wish I could be more encouraging but I don’t think support for the Motif-Rack Editor from 9 years ago is on the back burner, I don’t think it is even near the stove… :(

[ Ignore ]