mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MotifXF VST"

Posted on: May 20, 2020 @ 07:39 AM
NLAlston
Total Posts:  1039
Joined  02-10-2004

It’s been a good while since I’ve been here, and my absence is due to my having been forced to sell my beloved MotifXF6, due to severe financial hardship. A while back, though, I was able to pick up a used M-Audio Axiom Pro 49, and (with Reaper, coupled with a few VSTi’s) I am able to do a little music making.  However, I TRULY miss my workstation, and its sounds.

Recently, I came across information that there was a MotifXF VST package that was available, and I wonder if anyone, here, has any knowledge of it.  If it comes even close to the great sounds of the XF, I would get it in a heartbeat.  If anyone knows anything about its worthiness (or lack of it) please let me know.  I can find no reviews of it, online.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

Oh....and STAY SAFE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2020 @ 12:40 PM
javelin276
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-30-2016

Greetings!  The Motif XF does come with a downloadable Editor which allows control of the synth, maybe that’s what you’ve heard about.  I don’t know of any VST’s that emulate any of the Motif’s, sorry.
Best of Luck!
Javelin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2020 @ 10:55 PM
NLAlston
Joined  02-10-2004
javelin276 - 23 May 2020 12:40 PM

Greetings!  The Motif XF does come with a downloadable Editor which allows control of the synth, maybe that’s what you’ve heard about.  I don’t know of any VST’s that emulate any of the Motif’s, sorry.
Best of Luck!
Javelin

Thanks, Javelin.

I appreciate your input - and willingness to help, but I don’t think that the MotifFX’s Editor would work for me.  That’s also because of thinking that the use of the Editor would require the synth, itself.  I no longer have my XF, but was hoping that the MotifXF VST package might have been worthy enough to avail myself of that workstation’s fantastic sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2020 @ 08:36 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The XF was sampled for Native Instrument’s Kontakt, and NI has a Kontakt Player available for free. I’ve also seen a so-called “Motif XF VST Plugin” being sold. I have no familiarity with them. However, such sampling typically is limited (often severely) in comparison to the dynamic control a synth like the XF is capable of.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2020 @ 05:13 PM
javelin276
Total Posts:  31
Joined  07-30-2016

I searched and found a YouTube video of a Motif-XF VST, but it sounded pretty darn cheesy.  I wouldn’t use it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2020 @ 06:10 AM
NLAlston
Joined  02-10-2004
javelin276 - 24 May 2020 05:13 PM

I searched and found a YouTube video of a Motif-XF VST, but it sounded pretty darn cheesy.  I wouldn’t use it.

Yes, I am kinda afraid of that.  I do know, however, that there are a couple of varying price points on what I’ve come across, thus far.  There is a MotifXF VST package which is selling for $7.99, another for (I think) $8.99, and even one selling for $39.99.  I did take a chance, and opted for the latter mentioned. It was my, initial, assumption that they all were digital downloads, and I also assumed that (just maybe) the higher priced package reflected a much better sampling method.  However, it was AFTER the order was placed, that I learned of my order being a physically delivered one.  Now, I am thinking that this is why what I ordered cost more - and that its sound quality might be that of what YOU had heard. I will be quite dismayed if I am to find that my package falls much short of expectations. 

The music I that like to compose falls into the categories of Easy Listening, Lite Jazz and Contemporary Christian, and the MotifXF always had what I needed.  My VST package is supposed to be here on the 4th, or 5th of June. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed, until then :).

And I’ll report back, here, with the verdict.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2020 @ 05:55 AM
NLAlston
Joined  02-10-2004

Ok, my MotifXF VST package arrived, on Friday, and I had a bear of a time copying the contents of the 12 DVD disks, to a folder on my PC. But I eventually succeeded, and immediately sat down to give ear to what I was to be presented with.  Before having made my purchase, I had read many opinions on how the VST instruments fell into one of three categories: less, equal to, or better than the voices of their hardware counterparts. I knew that I was taking a chance, but really needed more instrument choices, and $43 wasn’t going to break the bank.

So (as mentioned), I settled in to audition the sounds.  In all honesty I was not that impressed.  I mean, if I had never owned the MotifXF workstation, I might have jumped for joy.  But I remember the sound characteristics, of that beautiful machine, and what I was hoping for (especially with a few of the choice instruments that I so loved) just wasn’t hitting the mark. I don’t know if it was due to an inferior sampling procedure, or whether the MotifXF’s engine had playable elements that just could not be duplicated, by sampling. 

I’ll get SOME use out of this package, though, because of being relatively sure that a good number of the voices (though not sounding outstanding, in solo fashion) might work out ok in a mix. 

Just wanted to share the outcome with you all.

STAY SAFE.

[ Ignore ]