mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Any way set a minimum level for the volume pedal for each patch?"

Posted on: March 16, 2020 @ 05:16 PM
kshacklett
Total Posts:  22
Joined  03-15-2020

Example:  When I play organ I want some volume when the pedal is all the way down...as most organ volume pedals behave.  This might also improve the response of the pedal by spreading the entire range of the pedal between..say...40 and 127 instead of zero and 127.  I don’t want so much volume change by pulling the pedal slightly back from full.

If this isn’t possible it goes on my wish list.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2020 @ 08:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

By setting the Foot Controller up as FC2 (instead of FC1) it’s possible to use a Controller Set for Volume control with options otherwise not available. Set FC2 as the Source, Volume as Destination. Proper settings for the Voice’s Output Volume and the Controller Set Depth should then provide the desired minimum volume and range you want, although some experimentation with those levels will probably be required.

This thread…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469565
and this support article…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/control_sets_mox
...should be helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2020 @ 01:14 PM
kshacklett
Joined  03-15-2020

Okay...I’ll get to work and let you know how it goes.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2020 @ 03:28 PM
kshacklett
Joined  03-15-2020

I’m quite confused.  There is only one foot controller input.  The other two jacks are for foot switches.  The pedal controls volume of voices unconditionally in voice mode.  Only in Performance mode can the pedal be disconnected from each voice.  I haven’t explored Master mode.  I don’t understand the point or function of FC1 and FC2.  The pedal controls volume regardless of whether FC1 or FC1 are selected, and regardless of assignments made in Utility.  I have found nothing that affects the range of the pedal for volume in the controller sets or anywhere else.  Setting FC2 to control volume in a controller set does nothing...and is redundant since since the foot controller seems hard wired to volume, although it can be assigned to other functions in addition to volume.  I have used the pedal to control overdrive level at the same time as volume.  In that case I’m able to control how much the pedal changes overdrive.

Over all I’m quite pleased with the MOX8.  It is pretty much exactly what I wanted:  A lighter 88 key weighted action synth with good sounds, good programability, and good real time control to use as my only keyboard on some sit down gigs.  It’s just that I’m used to more flexibility and a few better sounds from my Kronos and even my Yamaha EX5..which are my rig most of the time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2020 @ 05:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
kshacklett - 17 March 2020 03:28 PM

I’m quite confused.

I’ll try to clarify any misconceptions.

kshacklett -

There is only one foot controller input.  The other two jacks are for foot switches.

True.

kshacklett -

The pedal controls volume of voices unconditionally in voice mode.  Only in Performance mode can the pedal be disconnected from each voice.  I haven’t explored Master mode.  I don’t understand the point or function of FC1 and FC2.

The point is what I previously explained - ”By setting the Foot Controller up as FC2 (instead of FC1) it’s possible to use a Controller Set for Volume control with options otherwise not available.

kshacklett -

The pedal controls volume regardless of whether FC1 or FC1 are selected, and regardless of assignments made in Utility.

Presuming that second “FC1” was meant to be FC2, you just haven’t learned how to program things properly as of yet.

The Foot Controller jack defaults to being FC1, which is fixed as CC#11, Expression. If in Utility mode FC1 is instead set to to CC#04 Foot Control, it becomes assignable as FC2.

Please reread the thread I previously linked to. This one might also help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471608/

kshacklett -

I have found nothing that affects the range of the pedal for volume in the controller sets or anywhere else.  Setting FC2 to control volume in a controller set does nothing...and is redundant since since the foot controller seems hard wired to volume, although it can be assigned to other functions in addition to volume.

The CC#04 Foot Control setting is assignable, it’s not the same as FC1 CC#11. Once you’ve made the change in Utility mode, try reducing a Voice’s Output Volume (page 31 of the Reference Manual, [COMMON EDIT] > [F4]OUTPUT) - try around 64.

I’m used to my XS and XS (which have a dedicated FC2 jack), so I might have misled you a bit - the Source in the Controller Set may have to be “FC1/FC2”, not “FC2”. Next set the Destination to “Volume”. Finally set the Depth to a positive value - try around 32. You should then find that the FC7 will work over a range of volume levels determined by the Voice’s Output Volume setting and the Controller Set Depth - change those settings as needed to get the range you want.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2020 @ 10:54 PM
kshacklett
Joined  03-15-2020

Thanks for all your help.  I’ve been working on other stuff for a couple days but I’ll study your last response and dig a little deeper.

I’ve had a couple breakthroughs.  I get a pretty convincing Hammond chorus effect by mixing voices that are identical except that one has vibrato and the other doesn’t....pretty much the way Hammond chorus works.  At first I turned on the chorus effect by putting XA control for all vibrato elements to AF1.  That created the problem of having to play new notes to get the effect.  I eventually discovered that assigning control sets to AF1 allows me to change volume of elements in real time while holding notes.  I’m limited by how many elements I can control separately but so far I’ve been able to control as many as I need. 

It took me awhile to get the assignable knobs going...which created problem that I’ve just started to look into.  I created assignments in voice mode and they worked fine in performance mode but after turning the MOX off last night and back on again this afternoon they no longer work in performance mode.  When I turn the knobs they just don’t show the assignment or do anything.  They still work in voice mode though.  I don’t understand that at all. 

Also, it is confusing that those knobs are called AS1 and AS2.  You would think that “S” would stand for switch, just as “F” stands for function.  Therefore I thought that AS referred to the row of switches under the display which are actually labeled “Assignable Switch”.  The assignable knobs should obviously be labeled AK1 and AK2.

Okay, back to work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2020 @ 01:59 PM
kshacklett
Joined  03-15-2020

Success!  Setting FC1 to CC4 was all it took.  I thought that I had already done that.  I can have any minimum I want with the volume setting, and any maximum I want with a control set. 

It’s still a bit confusing since there is only one physical input but FC1 and FC2 in Utility and the control sets.  I tried a couple different assignments for FC2 in Utility and control sets and got some peculiar results.  Example:  Setting FC2 to portamento in Utility and assigning it to portamento in a control set, the portamento is changed from full time to fingered, and the depth setting changes portamento time, but the pedal does nothing. 

On the other hand, setting FC2 to CC4 in Utility makes it behave exactly as FC1 set to CC4.  This is redundant, since FC1 can be set to control different things simultaneously with separate control sets. 

I eventually realized that utility settings are apparently not automatically saved as in other machines.  Pressing Store saves them without having to press Enter.  Whatever.

Thanks again.  Being able to set a minimum for the pedal is kind of a big deal to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 27, 2020 @ 03:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The MOX is a “budget” version of the Motif XS, and therefore certain items are missing on the MOX. However, the MOX was designed to be as compatible as practical with the XS and data from it. Since the XS has a physical FC2 jack, compatibility required that the MOX could emulate having a second foot controller input, so that was done in the MOX’s firmware.

One thing to keep in mind is that the MOX can respond to foot controller MIDI messages. Therefore being able to set the FC1 and FC2 CC numbers independently could allow for a pedal connected to the MOX and data arriving via MIDI from an external controller to have different effects.

I’m glad you were able to get the pedal to respond as you wanted. I don’t have a MOX or MOXF (my Motif XS and XF are quite enough), and I’m not inclined to investigate this further. However, I encourage you to continue trying to get as much as possible out of your MOX - it’s a lot deeper than a first glance would suggest.

[ Ignore ]