mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A quick poll to get some ideas re: Controller Options"

Posted on: March 23, 2020 @ 09:44 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

As we all know, the MOXf has so many features and functions and layers of programming that the average schmo (like me) will never make use of.  For instance, the various assignable buttons and plugs and wheels that are right there.

Surely those were put there to be utilized, and I’ll just bet some of you have come up with some novel or incredibly handy purpose.

Those two Assignable buttons which are usually in service to a Voice but I’m told can be programmed in other ways. 

And there’s the extra Assignable foot pedal jack in the back. Center is Sustain and I use the other for a Volume/Expression pedal. But surely that other Controller can be put to use. Can it turn something on with a click, then turn it off the same way? Could it be used to step through things, like Pattern section to Pattern section. Or Arp to Arp. I play live and kind of wish I could step through my Song list (or Masters) with my foot, because it looks bad for the performer to be pushing buttons all the time. Does it depend on the type of foot switch or can only certain foot switches be used?

And then there’s the Pitch Bend controller, which I only use when arranging, trying to make a guitar part sound more real, but I never do anything with it “live”, though there are lots of things, functional or musical that it could be used for you’d think. I use the other Mod wheel for Rotary FX, but that’s actually not realistic for emulating a B3 organ cause my recollection is there was only an on/off latch, turn rotor on and the horn start to spin and keep spinning faster till it hit its max or till you hit the off button, which didn’t really turn it off, per se, it just disengaged the clutch. And a Leslie speaker has two separate things spinning. A speaker AND a Horn. Hmmm. 

So back to the PB wheel, with it’s return to detente upon release. Could this achieve some other task, turn an effect on, or be a wah wah pedal? Could it temporarily override something—till you release it and it goes back to default. 

So I’m curious to hear what others have made use of those controller options beyond the most obvious things. For me, I’d just like to have some things that reduce busy work or simplify certain moments. But I’ve had some Voices with Assignable Button options and they’re pretty cool. Still, can those buttons be assigned to do something else entirely?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2020 @ 04:01 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi

This was briefly discussed in this thread a while back.
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/481628

I doubt that the PB wheel can be turned into an On/Off Switch as such, but it should be possible to make it control some Mix or Send level for your desired effect.

Do some experiments and let us know how you get on. Or if you have any more specific questions, of course. I’m sure someone knowing more than myself will find more detailed answers! :-)

Cheerio

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2020 @ 11:55 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 23 March 2020 09:44 PM

[...]

Those two Assignable buttons which are usually in service to a Voice but I’m told can be programmed in other ways.

What do you have in mind?

muscarella -

And there’s the extra Assignable foot pedal jack in the back. Center is Sustain and I use the other for a Volume/Expression pedal. But surely that other Controller can be put to use. Can it turn something on with a click, then turn it off the same way? Could it be used to step through things, like Pattern section to Pattern section. Or Arp to Arp. I play live and kind of wish I could step through my Song list (or Masters) with my foot, because it looks bad for the performer to be pushing buttons all the time.

A footswitch can be assigned to MIDI Control Change numbers 1~95 and other functions. It can certainly be used to step through Songs and other Programs, either incrementing or decrementing. The relevant settings are “PC inc” and “PC dec” (PC = Program Change). See [SF2] FT SW on page 146 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

muscarella -

Does it depend on the type of foot switch or can only certain foot switches be used?

Yamaha FC4 and FC5 footswitches are momentary contact, normally open ("NO") type. Any footswitch meeting those factors will work.

muscarella -

And then there’s the Pitch Bend controller, which I only use when arranging, trying to make a guitar part sound more real, but I never do anything with it “live”, though there are lots of things, functional or musical that it could be used for you’d think. I use the other Mod wheel for Rotary FX, but that’s actually not realistic for emulating a B3 organ cause my recollection is there was only an on/off latch, turn rotor on and the horn start to spin and keep spinning faster till it hit its max or till you hit the off button, which didn’t really turn it off, per se, it just disengaged the clutch. And a Leslie speaker has two separate things spinning. A speaker AND a Horn. Hmmm. 

So back to the PB wheel, with it’s return to detente upon release. Could this achieve some other task, turn an effect on, or be a wah wah pedal? Could it temporarily override something—till you release it and it goes back to default.

The Pitch Bend wheel can certainly be assigned to purposes other than bending notes. Although discussing the XS, the following support article is mostly applicable to the MOXF:
http://www.motifator.com/storage/support/XS_Assigning_Controllers.pdf

The above PDF and this support article should help with programming for the rotary speaker effect:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/the_rotary_speaker_effect

muscarella -

So I’m curious to hear what others have made use of those controller options beyond the most obvious things. For me, I’d just like to have some things that reduce busy work or simplify certain moments. But I’ve had some Voices with Assignable Button options and they’re pretty cool. Still, can those buttons be assigned to do something else entirely?

That depends what you mean by “entirely”. See the previously referred to Reference Manual page.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Editing on MOXf6 AND MOXf8
Next Topic:

New member and new to Moxf6 with a question ››