mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "using ext keyboard to control mox/usb/cubase setup"

Posted on: January 04, 2020 @ 06:42 AM
dbkf
Total Posts:  10
Joined  02-04-2015

Ok. Ive got Mox8, cubase 5 and a casio CTK601 midi keyboard!. I use the casio as a midi controller when ‘jamming’ as its easier to play bass, guitar sounds, etc with the smaller, lighter, more tactile casio keys. I set appropriate send/receiv channels to 1 and can play performances and voices no problem, changing the arps which I use a lot from the Mox..no prob thats fine. A basic but effective setup for me.
However I also have cubase 5/AI connected to the Mox via usb cable, which works fine, but I have to disconnect the usb cable when using the casio/mox setup in chapter 1 because setup doesnt work with it connected.
I tried changing send/recv channels to other than 1 as this was being used by mox/cubase/usb setup but casio/mox setup didnt work..unless I disconnected the usb lead again and restarted my mox (which may not have been necessary but..)
I just wish to record the mox on cubase via usb, but using the casio as the controller/..well for just triggering arps, and playing the song notes’ whilst still using the mox/cubase via usb setup Ive always used.
How do I achieve this?
Im pretty sure its a naive question but I cant figure it out, even after several google searches, and knowing countless musicians use a midi controller of some sort when recording on cubse!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2020 @ 09:05 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 51 of the MOX Owner’s Manual, in particular the Port 3 information. Properly routing Port 3 - typically seen as “Yamaha MOX6/MOX8-3” in the application (Cubase) - will allow a MIDI device (Casio CTK-601) connected to the MOX’s MIDI-In to interface while the MOX is set for USB operation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2020 @ 08:29 PM
dbkf
Total Posts:  10
Joined  02-04-2015

Thanks for that speedy response to my request for help on the mox/casio/cubase setup.
the manual explained what port 3 does but not really how to use it.
Basically through trial and error I did this:

Created 2 midi channels in cubase one MOX6/8-3 and the other MOX6/8-1, both [all midi inputs] and [channel 1].
When I activated one of the loudspeaker icons on a midi track I got sound (of mox voices, performances, arps), and midi signals when I played the casio, connected to the MOX.

So thanks, I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon of jamming and recording (through cubase), void of logistical problems..:)
Your’re a star!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2020 @ 11:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
dbkf - 04 January 2020 08:29 PM

Thanks for that speedy response to my request for help on the mox/casio/cubase setup.

You’re welcome.

dbkf -

the manual explained what port 3 does but not really how to use it.

Agreed, but “how to use it” is dependent on the application being run (DAW, etc.) and what you need it to do, so that might be why the information is sparse.

dbkf -

Basically through trial and error I did this:

Created 2 midi channels in cubase one MOX6/8-3 and the other MOX6/8-1, both [all midi inputs] and [channel 1].
When I activated one of the loudspeaker icons on a midi track I got sound (of mox voices, performances, arps), and midi signals when I played the casio, connected to the MOX.

I’m glad that you were able to figure out how to route the data from Port 3 for your needs, and thanks for posting so others could do the same. I had done a quick search for a relevant support article at the time I initially replied, but didn’t come across one. I’ve since located something that addresses Port 3 usage. See the Quick Review of the Setup section in this article:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_basic_midi_recording_with_cubase

dbkf -

So thanks, I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon of jamming and recording (through cubase), void of logistical problems..:)
Your’re a star!!

I’m glad you’re having fun. Thanks for the kind words.

[ Ignore ]