mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I use the styles of psr sxxx Yamaha series into the Yamaha mox6?"

Posted on: March 29, 2014 @ 07:37 PM
Djrivex
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-29-2014

Hi I want to know if I can play the Yamaha psr s550b or s650 styles into the Yamaha mox6?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2014 @ 09:30 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

That’s a strange question. Sure, if the PSR-S550b or S650 have a MIDI OUT, you can play them into any MIDI device with a MIDI IN. Connect MIDI OUT of the PSR to MIDI IN of the MOX.

If you mean do STYLE FILEs for PSR’s load into a MOX, the answer is NO, not at all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 06:24 AM
Djrivex
Joined  03-29-2014
Bad_Mister - 29 March 2014 09:30 PM

That’s a strange question. Sure, if the PSR-S550b or S650 have a MIDI OUT, you can play them into any MIDI device with a MIDI IN. Connect MIDI OUT of the PSR to MIDI IN of the MOX.

If you mean do STYLE FILEs for PSR’s load into a MOX, the answer is NO, not at all.

What I mean was that I had a psr s550b and I make a styles and save in my pen drive, know I want to buy a mox6 but I don’t want to lose my styles!! So… Maybe there are a programs for the pc for extract the midi? If I can’t the styles into the mox6

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 07:56 AM
Dr. ROX
Total Posts:  41
Joined  11-22-2013

MOX doesn’t support auto accompaniment you had in PSR. MOX and PSR’s are completely different products. So if you have style files created on PSR’ it’s impossible to load them to MOX. Well, MOX doesn’t even have buttons for controlling styles :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 08:00 AM
Djrivex
Joined  03-29-2014
Dr. ROX - 30 March 2014 07:56 AM

MOX doesn’t support auto accompaniment you had in PSR. MOX and PSR’s are completely different products. So if you have style files created on PSR’ it’s impossible to load them to MOX. Well, MOX doesn’t even have buttons for controlling styles :)

The performance mode isn’t as auto accompaniment ? Or similar?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 08:35 AM
Dr. ROX
Total Posts:  41
Joined  11-22-2013

No, performance mode is not the same as playing with PSR styles, I wouldn’t even call that mode as auto accompaniment even it can play by itself. It’s actually a 4 instrument split/layer and they are playing their arpeggios. Some of these arps even doesn’t recognize chords and the phrases are really short compared to PSR. Also PSR’s have at least 8 instruments, you can play lengthy phrases, configure them how to react to chord changes etc. And you have buttons for controlling the intro, breaks, endings etc. Performance mode on MOX is actually simply the ability to layer 4 voices to make split keyboard mode or some dual voice stuff in PSR’s terms. You can play all at the same time or assign them to different keyboard ranges. Now the performance happens when arpeggio function is enabled. Arpeggio function simply instantly plays a phrase when you hit any key. So stack 4 voices, enable arpeggio and here you go - you get them playing. There are few switches to change the arp type but this is not even close to having A, B sections and endings. So MOX is not well suited for live playing using auto accompaniment. Performance mode is more like an inspirational tool or it might help if you need a quick backing track, or make 4 voice instrument layer.  But it’ can’t do same thing as PSR’s styles.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 11:31 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
Djrivex - 30 March 2014 08:00 AM

The performance mode isn’t as auto accompaniment ? Or similar?

Attempting to re-cast a MOX (or MOXF, Motif, etc.) as a PSR (or Tyros) will be a recipe for frustration and disappointment.

They are really completely different instrument types, from concept to detail.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 04:53 PM
Djrivex
Joined  03-29-2014

Mmmm… I like the psr sxxx because if I want to play merengue piano for example but I don’t know how… I just look for a merengue style and record the midi that the Yamaha psr s do so… Can I do that with the mox6? With the sounds in performance mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 04:59 PM
jaimeandresgc
Total Posts:  4
Joined  01-11-2014

Yes , you can export them as midifiles because STYs are , in fact, midifiles with markers.  You need to copy them in a computer, then manually change the extention if the file from .sty to.mid.  Then you can open them with sonar or cubase ( in cubase you have to import them as a midifile) .  This is actually the way to create stys on your daw.  You create the sections and put markers, then save then as midis, change the extention and voila!  Now you can open them with your psr or the program “one man band”

Regards

Jaime andres

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 05:04 PM
Djrivex
Joined  03-29-2014
jaimeandresgc - 30 March 2014 04:59 PM

Yes , you can export them as midifiles because STYs are , in fact, midifiles with markers.  You need to copy them in a computer, then manually change the extention if the file from .sty to.mid.  Then you can open them with sonar or cubase ( in cubase you have to import them as a midifile) .  This is actually the way to create stys on your daw.  You create the sections and put markers, then save then as midis, change the extention and voila!  Now you can open them with your psr or the program “one man band”

Regards

Jaime andres

I didn’t know that! So, with change the extension on my pc sty to mid I can extract all midi of that style?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2014 @ 06:43 PM
jaimeandresgc
Total Posts:  4
Joined  01-11-2014

Yes.  Just make shure you work on a copy of the styles, just to be safe.  Go to the page of the One Man band software and see for yourself , but I did it all the time to create styles for my PSR620 from cakewalk , and today to create styles in Cubase and load them as STY in oneman band ( which by the way, emulates the accompainment section of the psr line , and can use any gm compatible synth as his tone generator).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2014 @ 09:43 PM
pmat3155
Total Posts:  12
Joined  02-21-2014

Thank you so much jaimeandresgc. I was able to follow your steps and get just what I wanted. Here is what I did.

I downloaded PSR styles from psrututorial .com and changed the extension to .mid. Loaded the files in to MOX6 as songs. All parts of the styles are in the same MIDI file. Some tweaking was needed to match the right sounds. I split the songs in to pattern sections. For example: for a 8 beat style, I split it in to sections of 2 full measures each. I left the first 4 channels for voices that I will be playing and changed output channels to 1 so that I can play all 4 voices at once. You can also mix any performance too. For the pattern, i changed the play mode as “on key press”. Now when i select the pattern, the style starts playing as I start playing notes. And just like PSR, I can move from different parts of the style by changing pattern sections.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2019 @ 09:57 PM
Mulzac1301
Total Posts:  34
Joined  12-23-2016

pmat3155,

Your post suggests your keen experience in keyboard programming.

Do you know how to convert .sty files for use as accompaniment styles on Yamaha motif xs6.?
As a feedback to my previous post I can now record.sty files converted to .midi files into my motif xs6 and playback as midi songs.

The problem I am getting is converting these midi files into yamaha accompaniment styles.

I tried splitting song to pattern using Motif Song Job Mode, but on playback, the resultant pattern play as a loop and not as an accompaniment, unable to key trigger or chord change.

In this regard, if the MOX6 is compatible with the Motif xs6, could you send me some samples of your converted styles or any info on the above.

Regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2019 @ 12:52 PM
Mulzac1301
Total Posts:  34
Joined  12-23-2016

pmat3155, bad_mister,

On review of previous posts from Bad_Mister and others, it seems definitely clear that the motif xs6 cannot use .sty files as accompaniment styles similar to Yamaha PSR Sxxx series.

The.sty files can only be converted to midi and use as songs in the motif.

If my assessment (subject to correction) is true, kindly disregard my previous post sent to you.

Nonetheless, if you aware of any (free ...lol) reprogrammed performances eg. jazz, latin, pop styles for the motif xs6, I will be interested.

Regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Expression Pedal in Performance Mode
Next Topic:

personal lessons.... ››