mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using DTX drum kit w MOXF"

Posted on: August 10, 2019 @ 02:57 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I am using a Yamaha DTX 500 electronic drum kit. When I hook the MIDI Out from the drum module into the MIDI In on my MOXF6 and go into Song Mixing I am able to make the drum kit play the MOXF drum sounds I have selected for track 10. In this manner I can play drums like a real drummer (instead of tapping keys) and record the MIDI onto the MOXF sequencer. All the sounds map and sound accurately (Snare pad, toms, cymbals, bass drum) BUT…

The high-hat (Yamaha RS model which allows for realistic high hat action—open, closed, splashing, half open) is not sounding properly. When I strike the pad with the stick it sounds a piano note(?). And when closed fully it sounds yet another piano note one half-step lower. I could understand if it was triggering the wrong DRUM key, but it’s a piano note that is not even in the Voice. Oddly, (or maybe it’s a clue) if I use my foot on the pedal to close the high hat, it produces a metallic click as it should.

So the drum is sounding correct thru the MOXf, triggering the MOXf Drum patch I have chosen, and responding to hits on the proper pads on the DTX kit, etc, but high-hat is doing some other bizarre thing.

Any ideas how to get the high-hat to cooperate?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2019 @ 08:25 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I presume that you have a DTX500K kit and that the trigger pads are those that came with the kit. I’m also presuming that the hi-hat plays the DTX500 module’s internal sounds correctly. If not, please explain.

Which MOXF drum bank (GM/Preset/User) and Voice are you playing?

If you select the MOXF’s GM Drum Voice, does the problem still occur?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2019 @ 09:22 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

DTX 500k kit with all Yamaha-brand pads, cymbals, mesh snare and the RHH135 high-hat. It works and sounds fine when I am playing just through the DTX 500 module as a standalone instrument. The high-hat reproduces Open and Closed sounds with stick hits, and also responds to manual foot action as the trigger—splash as well as basic “clomp/click” when virtual cymbals come together. 

In MIDI Out/In mode I keep it simple, using mostly MOXf Drum Voices from the top of the Voice list—i.e. Standard 1 & 2 and Dry Standard. Depending on the Voice selected the “wrong” high-hat sound(s) are different, but always something from the octave above middle C on the keyboard. The piano(?!) sounds produced upon Open/Closed stick hits are notes directly below and above each other on the keyboard, octave above middle C around Ab/G/F#. (And the “wrong” percussion sounds are also just a half-step apart in that same keybed area, octave above middle C).

I will try using the GM Drum Voice when I get back to the kit and see if it makes any difference.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2019 @ 09:29 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Also, I bought the kit used but keep it in Factory set-up and refresh Factory set-up after I tweak around with it to avoid confusing myself.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2019 @ 11:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You didn’t answer my question concerning which drum BANK you’re using. If User, it’s possible that some of the assignments have been changed from what they are in the Preset bank - it’s even possible they were changed to piano sounds, since any Waveform (including ones from the flash module) can be assigned to a key in a kit.

I suggest that you look at the MOXF Data List, page 13, and see what’s assigned (in the Preset bank) for the notes in question in the kits you’re using. The GM kit is on page 31. The sounds in the range of F#3/G3/G#3 are the same for the kits you mentioned (if from the Preset bank) and the GM kit, so the “incorrect” HH sounds should theoretically be the same ones with any of those kits.

Although the MIDI note number transmitted per pad by the DTX500 can be changed from the default number, I’m assuming that’s not an issue since you’re doing a factory reset.

You might have to customize one or more MOXF kits for use with the DTX500, and save them in the User Drum bank.

EDIT: By the way, middle C is MIDI note number 60, and Yamaha calls it C3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2019 @ 09:50 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

I am using only Preset bank drums. I have never actually created a User Drum cause I’ve never grasped the process of customizing—though it seems I’m going to have to learn if it’s now necessary to swap or change the high-hat sound key assignments.

Since I have no User drums the mystery of the piano sounds remains in play. It would suggest to me that the MIDI channel was jumping to another track entirely on only those notes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 12, 2019 @ 08:03 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 11 August 2019 09:50 PM

I am using only Preset bank drums. I have never actually created a User Drum cause I’ve never grasped the process of customizing—though it seems I’m going to have to learn if it’s now necessary to swap or change the high-hat sound key assignments.

It’s not difficult to create a custom kit. But first…

muscarella -

Since I have no User drums the mystery of the piano sounds remains in play. It would suggest to me that the MIDI channel was jumping to another track entirely on only those notes.

I suggest that you determine what MIDI data the DTX500 is sending when the incorrect HH sounds are triggered. If you have a PC, MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com) is an appropriate utility for the purpose - use something similar if running a Mac.

Once that determination is made, the appropriate action to correct it should become apparent.

[ Ignore ]