mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Vintage Keys DCP for MOXF"

Posted on: May 02, 2018 @ 02:38 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017

Hi guys,

A few days ago I wanted to ask how different the sounds in this library are compared to what is already programmed in the MOXF. I searched for some threads, read a few and watched a Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53DFUgczqqk&list=RD53DFUgczqqk&t=308

I wanted to hear from someone that Rhodes Eps or Wurlitzer’s etc. were better and wanted to hear or read a lot of details but I decided to purchase the library and try instead of asking.

Man, I have to say, this library is really, really awesome, in my 20+ years of playing keyboards I’ve never been so satisfied with the sounds in my keyboard. I played from 9:00 pm to 1 am with my earphones and I noticed a lot of nuances and details.

In case you are considering to purchase, I’d say go ahead. Here some more thoughts about my experience:

*Wurlitzer’s are more detailed than the ones already in the board, it doesn’t mean the ones on the board are bad, but you have to hear them.
*I really enjoy the sound called DX1
*Clavinet sounds, I consider they sound like if you were playing the real instrument.
*CP70, man, that is what I was looking for.
*Minimoog and pads are really nice.

I don’t know why I couldn’t purchase it directly from MOTIFATOR.com, when I was about to checkout the cart got empty (several times) I tried with a different browser, etc. I ended up purchasing it in Yamaha MusicSoft. However I purchased other items from MOTIFATOR in the past and I am satisfied as well. I placed a dummy order today in order to check if it works, and it worked, I needed to use paypal anyway and that’s not an option in MOTIFATOR so it was ok.

Coming back to the subject, I also enjoyed reading the long PDF document with the information and history about the keyboards checking the sounds while reading. Like a kid with a new toy!.

Very nice document I’d say, I would only improve the first page in order to make it look more modern. I know it’s for promoting Vintage Keyboards but a fresh look wouldn’t be bad (I am also a graphic designer)

I hope this feedback can be of help for all the involved.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2018 @ 02:21 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

RH,

The creator of Vintage Keys/DCP is David Polich.  He is a very talented progammer and will certainly appreciate your feedback.  You may want to check out his other libraries as well.

I have several of them, and agree with you. 

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2018 @ 03:55 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
KMKKEYS - 03 May 2018 02:21 PM

RH,

The creator of Vintage Keys/DCP is David Polich.  He is a very talented progammer and will certainly appreciate your feedback.  You may want to check out his other libraries as well.

I have several of them, and agree with you. 

Kenny

Thank you for your advice, I will check them in the future for sure, I also purchased his video “MOXF in N Out”, and I’d like to purchase the other where he teaches to program sounds. You mentioned he will appreciate the feedback. Do you think he would read this thread? I kind of remember he wrote in certain thread that he doesn’t check MOTIFATOR.com that often. Anyways, his work is greatly appreciated.

I also got some sounds from the Classic MOTIF into my MOXF I’m enjoying my keyboard like if I just purchased a new one. I found that the sensitivity or velocity that David programmed for the Vintage Keys library is better than several factory sounds. That’s my perception, or at least it works fine for my fingering.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2018 @ 02:52 PM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

I’m not 100% sure, but I believe Dave was one of the original programmers for the Motifs and other board as well.

Dave is an active member of this forum last time I checked and
he is always helpful and informative as is many others.

I thought at one point in time, there was either a book or CD that contained basic Motif programming.  Personally, I just dig into the Motifs that I own and start tinkering.  You will learn something new on every change you make to any parameter.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2018 @ 03:20 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
KMKKEYS - 04 May 2018 02:52 PM

...I thought at one point in time, there was either a book or CD that contained basic Motif programming....

You may be referring to This DVD Set, which is also from Dave Polich.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2018 @ 06:03 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017
cmayhle - 04 May 2018 03:20 PM
KMKKEYS - 04 May 2018 02:52 PM

...I thought at one point in time, there was either a book or CD that contained basic Motif programming....

You may be referring to This DVD Set, which is also from Dave Polich.

Yes, that’s the one.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2018 @ 08:53 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I’ve had hit and miss with 3rd party sound sets.

It’s been mostly miss in actual fact, with creators not being able to translate aspects of their demos to their actual products, but I’ve never had any issues with anything of Dave’s.

He does it right, and that’s why you like his products, and that’s why he’s successful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2018 @ 11:43 AM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017

I’m glad I purchased the right library, and knowing that guys like you are satisfied makes me feel even better.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2018 @ 12:55 PM
KMKKEYS
Joined  02-16-2009

Phil,

I can’t disagree with you on that.  I am particularly fond of Dave’s B’s Knees but can’t discount Organimation.  Both have their positive and negatives, with no real negatives to mention.  They are very different, but I like both.  I usually tweak the sounds to my liking.

We can also talk about piano libraries, although they are VERY subjective. I try to stay within the parameters within the Motif for piano sounds to minimize loading times.  I am still happy with the Motif ES.  I have the XS, but there is something different.  The ES just sounds warmer to me.  I hate to go there because it seems that the Motif line as it progresses should get better with each and every new instrument.  To a degree it does, but sometimes to a cost of some other feature that was on the older instrument that is not on the newer.

Personally, I love the way the Montage sounds.  It is just not for me at this time.

Kenny

We can go on for days regarding the large and various libraries that are available.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2018 @ 02:52 PM
RHproducer
Joined  10-19-2017

If I had to select just one sound, just one from the whole list of sounds in my MOFX it’d be the one called Galaxy DX. But after installing DCP Vintage Keys I noticed that the DX1 piano in the VK library has a better response for my fingering, I would like to modify the Galaxy DX to be more responsive and save it in one of the users sounds.

What I like about the DX1 that Dave programmed is the fact that I can play very soft and suddenly press very hard and get the right amount of feeling. But when I play the GALAXY one very hard it doesn’t bite. It’s like it’s not that responsive.

Any advice guys? I know the basics of the Voice Edit button, for reference: I have watched Dave’s video (MOXF in N Out)

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2018 @ 05:21 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Just to clear up my comments about some 3rd party sounds and problems that I’ve found.

I won’t be naming them because I just don’t want to get into that. 

I’ve never used Organimation or B’s Knees either so I’m not qualified to speak about them.  It’s nice to hear endorsements though.

When putting together a set of sounds for Motif, creators face many of the same problems as someone recording and releasing a song or album.  Many of them don’t consider this, and many don’t even understand it.

If you look at pretty much all the music you know and love, money and time has been spent working with mixing engineers and mastering engineers, so that the music sounds good when played anywhere and on anything. 

You’ll often hear people talking about translation, or hear them say that the music now ‘translates’ when it sounds good on anything.  That music will have started off in homes and demo studios, but will have been balanced and mixed for release in rooms designed and acoustically treated at a big expense, to provide very accurate feedback on every detail of the sound.

We’ve all put some music together at home, taken it out to the car or a friends hifi and found way too much bass, or too little bass, but you knew damn well that it sounded fine at home.  That’s the room you create your music in feeding back bad information on how things really sound, and maybe your monitoring, or a combination of both.

If you look at some sound creators for Motif (or any other product) many of them make their sound sets at home and think the job is complete and that the sounds are ready to sell when everything sounds good on their equipment, in their studios.  What many of them don’t do is testing, by taking the sounds out and about to find out how their sounds translate, or having other people try them out for a while prior to release.

Sometimes, they put up a demo which has been processed using equipment outside of a Motif which is misleading and frustrating, but most of all, that insular, “this sounds good in my studio, so it’s fine” attitude is a real problem.

I’ve also found that certain sound sets don’t translate between a synth key action and a weighted action.  This is to be expected, but perhaps creators could release a version tweaked for each?

I know this makes me sound picky and fussy, but if some creators did more testing or even some testing, they’d have happier customers who would probably come back and buy more.

Thankfully, we have many tools on the Motif to edit and tweak sounds to our taste.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2018 @ 07:44 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
RHproducer - 07 May 2018 02:52 PM

If I had to select just one sound, just one from the whole list of sounds in my MOFX it’d be the one called Galaxy DX. But after installing DCP Vintage Keys I noticed that the DX1 piano in the VK library has a better response for my fingering, I would like to modify the Galaxy DX to be more responsive and save it in one of the users sounds.

What I like about the DX1 that Dave programmed is the fact that I can play very soft and suddenly press very hard and get the right amount of feeling. But when I play the GALAXY one very hard it doesn’t bite. It’s like it’s not that responsive.

Any advice guys? I know the basics of the Voice Edit button, for reference: I have watched Dave’s video (MOXF in N Out)

Greetings!

There are numerous Parameter setting differences between the “Galaxy DX” and “DX1” Voices. Even when an Element in each Voice uses the same Waveform, the Velocity Limits, Level, Level Velocity Sensitivity, Level Key Follow, etc., are not the same.

I once explained how to readily compare the Parameter settings of two XF Voices. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478419/

I’m not certain that will work on a MOXF, but hopefully it will. If you try it, please let us know.

The Synthesizer Parameter Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60487) might help.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using Arpeggio SF button in Song record
Next Topic:

Swing Play FX not working ››