mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Strange noces from my Motif XS6"

Posted on: April 21, 2018 @ 10:47 AM
ronweb1
Total Posts:  30
Joined  12-31-2005

Hi there,

since a couple of days I get strange (distorted and fluttering) noices out of my Motif XS6.

I checked mycables and they seem to be okay. Now I have fearthat my Motif XS is end of life or....?

Maybe someone can be of help?

with kind regards,

Ron Weber
The Netherlands

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2018 @ 11:28 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As you might imagine, it’s hard to know what “strange (distorted and fluttering) noices” sound like, and therefore difficult to make suggestions.

Try connecting headphones to the XS PHONES jack, disconnect all other cables except power (L/MONO and R output, MIDI, USB, pedals, etc.) from the XS, and see if the problem can still be heard.

If so, please post a short MP3 recording of the problem to this thread - we may then be able to help you explore the possible causes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2018 @ 12:34 PM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 21 April 2018 11:28 AM

As you might imagine, it’s hard to know what “strange (distorted and fluttering) noices” sound like, and therefore difficult to make suggestions.

Try connecting headphones to the XS PHONES jack, disconnect all other cables except power (L/MONO and R output, MIDI, USB, pedals, etc.) from the XS, and see if the problem can still be heard.

If so, please post a short MP3 recording of the problem to this thread - we may then be able to help you explore the possible causes.

Hi 5pinDIN,

thanks for your quick reply. I have included a MP3 -file. The instrument I used was Full concert grand.

Thanx for your help again,

with kind regards,

Ron

File Attachments
Motif XS.mp3  (File Size: 125KB - Downloads: 259)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 21, 2018 @ 01:26 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 21 April 2018 12:34 PM

Hi 5pinDIN,

thanks for your quick reply. I have included a MP3 -file. The instrument I used was Full concert grand.

You’re welcome.

Thanks for posting the MP3, which clarifies what you’re referring to. To me, it sounds like it might be a D/A conversion issue. Let’s try something…

Parts assigned to the Assignable Outputs use a different DAC than what goes to the L/MONO and R main outputs. You can route a Part of a Performance that way, and see if the problem occurs there. Here’s how…

Select a Performance.
Press [EDIT]
Select a Part [1]~[4]   ( [1] usually is a good choice for this purpose)
Press [F1](Voice)
Press [SF2](Output)
Set Output Select to asL+R

(See (4) Output Select on pages 152-153 of the XS Owner’s Manual.)

Connect your amp/speakers to ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT L and R

Is the problem audible at the Assignable Outputs?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 04:21 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 21 April 2018 01:26 PM
ronweb1 - 21 April 2018 12:34 PM

Hi 5pinDIN,

You’re welcome.

Thanks for posting the MP3, which clarifies what you’re referring to. To me, it sounds like it might be a D/A conversion issue. Let’s try something…

Parts assigned to the Assignable Outputs use a different DAC than what goes to the L/MONO and R main outputs. You can route a Part of a Performance that way, and see if the problem occurs there. Here’s how…

Select a Performance.
Press [EDIT]
Select a Part [1]~[4]   ( [1] usually is a good choice for this purpose)
Press [F1](Voice)
Press [SF2](Output)
Set Output Select to asL+R

(See (4) Output Select on pages 152-153 of the XS Owner’s Manual.)

Connect your amp/speakers to ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT L and R

Is the problem audible at the Assignable Outputs?

Hi 5pinDIN,

Thanks again for your time and help. Yes, the problem is also audible on the assignable outputs

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 08:21 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Is there any change if Effects are turned off?

How does audio (mic or line) applied to the A/D INPUT sound?

Does your XS have DIMMs installed?

The XS has built-in diagnostics. Answers to those questions will help to determine which tests to run.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 08:52 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 22 April 2018 08:21 AM

Is there any change if Effects are turned off?

How does audio (mic or line) applied to the A/D INPUT sound?

Does your XS have DIMMs installed?

The XS has built-in diagnostics. Answers to those questions will help to determine which tests to run.

Hi again,

1. no there s no change when effects are turned off;
2. on the A/D left channel the sound is bad and it has the same problem as output L/R(low volume and distorted). On the right channel all sounds crystal clear and loud.
3. Yes I have DIMM’s installed (1GB).
4. I have run all tests except 19. DIMM (full). I’m running that one now, but it seems to take very long?
Yesterday I’ve also run that test but I aborted it after more than an hour. Should it take that longor is this maybe the cause of the problem?

Hope I provided you enough informaton?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 10:06 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 22 April 2018 08:52 AM

Hi again,

OK.

ronweb1 -

2. on the A/D left channel the sound is bad and it has the same problem as output L/R(low volume and distorted). On the right channel all sounds crystal clear and loud.

That’s interesting. I would have expected both channels to exhibit the problem, or neither.

ronweb1 -

4. I have run all tests except 19. DIMM (full). I’m running that one now, but it seems to take very long?
Yesterday I’ve also run that test but I aborted it after more than an hour. Should it take that longor is this maybe the cause of the problem?

The DIMM testing is fairly extensive, and 1GB takes around two hours. I’d give it somewhat longer than that before giving up.

ronweb1 -

The information is helpful, but unfortunately not definitive yet.

Since you are in the Netherlands, does your location have high humidity and possibly “salt air”? I’m asking because sometimes corrosion of cable connections can cause some strange symptoms.

It appears that you have the XS Service Manual. (If not, see https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_xs6_xs7_xs8.pdf/download.html) If you feel comfortable opening the XS (being very careful to keep the top panel from hinging open beyond 90 degrees), you might want to check the 40-conductor cable which connects the DM board to the JKAN-JA one. There may be a poor connection at either end - you could “exercise” connectors CN5 and CN615, which may help if there’s some corrosion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 10:41 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 22 April 2018 10:06 AM
ronweb1 - 22 April 2018 08:52 AM

Hi again,

OK.

ronweb1 -

That’s interesting. I would have expected both channels to exhibit the problem, or neither.

ronweb1 -

The DIMM testing is fairly extensive, and 1GB takes around two hours. I’d give it somewhat longer than that before giving up.

ronweb1 -

The information is helpful, but unfortunately not definitive yet.

Since you are in the Netherlands, does your location have high humidity and possibly “salt air”? I’m asking because sometimes corrosion of cable connections can cause some strange symptoms.

It appears that you have the XS Service Manual. (If not, see https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_xs6_xs7_xs8.pdf/download.html) If you feel comfortable opening the XS (being very careful to keep the top panel from hinging open beyond 90 degrees), you might want to check the 40-conductor cable which connects the DM board to the JKAN-JA one. There may be a poor connection at either end - you could “exercise” connectors CN5 and CN615, which may help if there’s some corrosion.

Hi again,
I thank you very, very much for all your help. Ik don’t dare to open the machine myself. I googled a Yamaha Service Center here in the Neteherlands. Tomorrow I bring the Motif there and I surely will tell them your suggestion.

Th e test on DIMM (FULL) is still running and I will leave t that way for now.

It’s verygood to know that there are ‘guru’s’ here on the forum that will help someone else.

Saying thank you once again I suggest that we can close the topic. I will let you know what has been the problem as soon as the dealer has done it’s diagnostics.

with kind regards,
Ron Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 22, 2018 @ 11:03 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
ronweb1 - 22 April 2018 10:41 AM

Hi again,
I thank you very, very much for all your help. Ik don’t dare to open the machine myself. I googled a Yamaha Service Center here in the Neteherlands. Tomorrow I bring the Motif there and I surely will tell them your suggestion.

It’s verygood to know that there are ‘guru’s’ here on the forum that will help someone else.

Saying thank you once again I suggest that we can close the topic. I will let you know what has been the problem as soon as the dealer has done it’s diagnostics.

with kind regards,
Ron Weber

You’re very welcome. Best of luck at the Service Center. I will indeed appreciate learning what the outcome of diagnosis is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2018 @ 11:55 AM
ronweb1
Joined  12-31-2005
5pinDIN - 22 April 2018 11:03 AM
ronweb1 - 22 April 2018 10:41 AM

Hi again,

with kind regards,
Ron Weber

You’re very welcome. Best of luck at the Service Center. I will indeed appreciate learning what the outcome of diagnosis is.

Hi 5pinDIN,

Today I have collected my XS6 from the service center. You won’t believe this, but the problem was caused by the 2 DIMM’s, where the diagnostic test on the Motif said it was all ok. I’m gladit was only this en Ialready have played on it for about two hours.

I want to express my gratitude again for all the effort you have put in helping and advicing me with my problem,

wit kind regard and musical greeting,

Ron Weber.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2018 @ 01:35 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks for getting back to us.

I’m glad that your XS6 is functioning properly now. However, there are discrepancies between the final diagnosis and the tests previously run.

Incompatible or failing DIMMs typically cause problems such as you experienced when playing data stored in them, not when the source is in ROM (such as Full Concert Grand would be). Also, the A/D Input, which you indicated worked correctly on one channel but not the other, shouldn’t have been affected in that manner.

Do you have the “bad” DIMMs? If so, you might try to reinstall them, play a factory Preset Voice (from banks PRE1~PRE8), and see if the problem returns. If so, that would confirm the DIMMs were at fault. If not, something else was the cause.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif xs editor
Next Topic:

NO SOUND ON MOTIF XS8...HELP ME PLEASE!!! ››