mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Shared brass patches"

Posted on: March 09, 2018 @ 07:41 AM
Maxibrady1
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-07-2018

Hi guys looking for some far brass sounds if anyone could share please

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2018 @ 08:52 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Maxibrady1 - 09 March 2018 07:41 AM

Hi guys looking for some far brass sounds if anyone could share please

Some questions:
1) Can we assume that “far” should be “fat”?
2) Does your ES have DIMMs installed?
3) If #2 is “yes”, what’s the capacity?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2018 @ 09:03 AM
Maxibrady1
Joined  03-07-2018

Soo sorry yes Fat Brass . I have a Korg m1 and the brass is really thick and fat when I play chords. The ES is very thinny.
And no Dimm installed .
Thanks for reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2018 @ 09:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Without DIMMs no sampling can be done, or samples loaded.

You could try creating Performances - layering brass sounds in the Parts, offsetting some by an octave, detuning, EQing, etc.

Sometimes Voices sound thin due to insufficient key velocity. You could try setting the Velocity Curve to “soft”. See page 260 of the ES Owner’s manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2018 @ 04:54 AM
Maxibrady1
Joined  03-07-2018

I’ve tried taking layers down octaves but it doesent save when I press store.
It puts the whole board down octaves also when I try to transpose one of the layers it’s transposes the whole board too like every sound.
If I go to another voice that’s down an octave and transposed then if I switch off unit it’s goes back to zero…
Hope I explained it right…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2018 @ 08:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

For layered Parts, when in Performance mode…
Press [EDIT]
Press a button [1]~[4] to select a Part
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
Note Shift can be adjusted up to +/- 24 semitones (+/- 2 octaves)
The Part can also be Detuned.

See page 218 of the ES Owner’s Manual.

STORE the edited Performance as desired.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2018 @ 08:31 AM
Maxibrady1
Joined  03-07-2018

Thank you for your quick reply....
I’ll try it ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2018 @ 04:58 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

Maxibrady1,

Just out of curiosity, have you been able to put together a Brass sound that is comparable to the Korg M1.  I also had a Korg T-3, which is basically a beefed up M1.  There was a sound in the performance mode which I believe to be “Brass Mix”.  It was fat and sat perfectly for live playing, specially for E,W & Fire, Boogie Shoes, Tower of Power songs.  You know what I mean.  Anyway, I know that the Korg sound killed it.

I am currently playing an ES on stage and put together Brass patches that just sound OK, and do work, however if I or someone else could re-create the sound on the Yamaha, I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

I am just looking for simple brass sounds.  I know that if I truly want to nail it, I should play each part in a sequence like the original recording.  That’s fine, but I am looking to play a single note or an octave to play horn lines in songs as well as organ, piano, again you know what I mean.

If you have achieved anything like this, let me know.  I will be glad to share whatever I have also.

Thanks,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2018 @ 06:31 PM
maxweb
Total Posts:  77
Joined  01-06-2004

I agree with KMKKEYS, and for this reason I still use in live my old korg N364 (1996) for that brass sound. N364 is the big brother of M1 and T3.
I know the story, you must use a sequencer for brass, but I play totally live and I need a sound playable with one hand at least for chords. I’m obliged to do in this way. Looking for A fat sound!
And it’s amazing thinking that I found that sound in a keyboard 22 years old, 8MB of ROM, Preset sound, COMBI A12.
Sometimes the best sample, the best audio quality, the best FX doesn’t mean the best impact sound. We have perfect sounds for studio recording that don’t play perfect in live situations… in my opinion.

I found a tutorial about brass programming, it helped me understanding a way to solve the problem. OK, it’s in Japanese language and about motif XF, but it can be useful even for ES. You can use mixing voices for a complex sound.
https://youtu.be/Pd0nn2QsFaQ
Brass sounds better but still missing something. Of course for my ear.

Maxweb

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2018 @ 10:59 AM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

maxweb,

Thanks for agreeing with me regarding this topic.  Sometimes I think that the new waveforms that are used are so clean that it is difficult to achieve what you and I are looking for.  My Korg T3 uses waveforms that are nowhere near the quality that are on any keyboard today, yet I cannot put together a simple Brass sound that equals that of the T3.  I believe that the T3 waveforms are probably 8 bit and I’m relatively sure that the samples are very small as the T3 only had 8 megs of data. (I think)

BTW, I looked at the youtube video and although I don’t speak Japanese, whatever the gentleman does is interesting if I could understand it.  It still doesn’t equal to that of the much older keyboard, in my opinion.

Maybe you can figure something out and share your results.  I’m certainly not knocking the Motif series.  I own an ES and an XS.  I personally think that the ES sounds a bit warmer, but the XS has its benefits like loading speed, more waveforms, etc.

Thanks,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Foot controller only 1 MIDI channel (in pattern mode)
Next Topic:

Smart sd card ››