mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Keyboard split octave control"

Posted on: February 05, 2018 @ 02:40 PM
Tonymarygoss
Total Posts:  28
Joined  09-14-2013

I need help figuring out how to create a keyboard split in which I can change the octave of one of the voices.
Context: I’m trying to create piano/bass splits in which I can lower the piano sound by an octave, thereby allowing me to play both the keyboard and piano in the middle C range without having both sounds play every time I hit a note in that range. In other words, just overlapping the note limit will not work. I want to have only the piano sound when I hit a note in that range with the right hand, and only the bass voice sound when I hit a note with the left hand in that range.
I created the new voice in the proper octave using the NOTE SHIFT function. I lowered the piano voice by 12 so that I can play it an octave higher with the right hand and be able to hit the middle notes without having the bass voice also sound there. And then I can play the higher bass notes in that same range because I’m playing the piano notes higher on the keyboard. Hope that all makes sense.
It seems to me that I ought to be able to create two independent voices that sound in the octave I want, then put them into a performance so that I can use both voices simultaneously.
HOWEVER, when I do that, the performance causes the voices to sound in their original octaves. I put my new user piano sound into the performance and it now plays without the note shift being applied. And there are no options in performance mode to adjust this. I can’t use the OCTAVE function because that causes both voices to be changed. I need only one to change.
Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2018 @ 04:11 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Tonymarygoss - 05 February 2018 02:40 PM

[...] It seems to me that I ought to be able to create two independent voices that sound in the octave I want, then put them into a performance so that I can use both voices simultaneously.
HOWEVER, when I do that, the performance causes the voices to sound in their original octaves. I put my new user piano sound into the performance and it now plays without the note shift being applied.

If you want to have a Voice’s Note Shift setting applied to a Part in a Performance, then Parameter with Voice has to be turned on for the Part before the Voice is selected. See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_parameter_with_voice

Tonymarygoss -

And there are no options in performance mode to adjust this. I can’t use the OCTAVE function because that causes both voices to be changed. I need only one to change.

However, there’s often no need to create a separate Voice using Note Shift. Note Shift (up to +/- 24 semitones) can be applied directly to a Part in the Performance. In addition, Note Limit will allow you to set the range of notes a Part can be played, creating the desired split without overlap of the Voices in each Part.

See (8) Note Shift and (15) Note Limit on pages 109-110 of the XF Reference Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2018 @ 06:21 PM
Tonymarygoss
Total Posts:  28
Joined  09-14-2013

That second tip did the trick! I knew there had to be a simple answer. Thank you so much!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 05, 2018 @ 09:40 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Tonymarygoss - 05 February 2018 06:21 PM

That second tip did the trick! I knew there had to be a simple answer. Thank you so much!

You’re welcome - I’m glad that resolved things for you.

[ Ignore ]