mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sticky or not working buttons"

Posted on: January 26, 2018 @ 06:09 PM
musickeysman
Total Posts:  53
Joined  08-15-2003

I have a motif classic 6 still my favorite keyboard but unfortunately time has not been kind and some of the button to change patches no longer work (like the GM. A #1, and #5 )
all other s work ok most of the time Sometimes I have to press twice..
I love the sounds in my classic and don’t want to give it up. My question are part still available for this? ( if the needed replacement)or is there a way to clean these to make them function again.
If part are needed what’s involve in changing them if the cost is in the 100’s I think I will upgrade to an xf6

I also have an sx6 that works floorless
Thanks for your time

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2018 @ 07:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
musickeysman - 26 January 2018 06:09 PM

I have a motif classic 6 still my favorite keyboard but unfortunately time has not been kind and some of the button to change patches no longer work (like the GM. A #1, and #5 )
all other s work ok most of the time Sometimes I have to press twice..
I love the sounds in my classic and don’t want to give it up. My question are part still available for this? ( if the needed replacement)or is there a way to clean these to make them function again.

Eventual failure of the tactile (tact) switches on Motifs isn’t uncommon after significant usage or contamination from cigarette smoke, etc. Replacement tact switches are readily available. Unfortunately, getting to the switches on the Classic models isn’t easy…
http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Yamaha_motif_disassembly_2.html
http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Yamaha_motif_buttons.html
https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif6_motif7_motif8.pdf/download.html

The tact switches are sealed, and even if you could manage to get some contact cleaner into the switch, the same disassembly required to replace a switch is also needed just to attempt cleaning. If going that far, replacement makes a lot more sense.

Note: Doing the work requires good mechanical and soldering skills and experience. Anyone who doesn’t have such skills/experience should not attempt the repair.

musickeysman -

If part are needed what’s involve in changing them if the cost is in the 100’s I think I will upgrade to an xf6

The tact switches themselves aren’t expensive, but unless you have the skills, I suggest that you have an experienced service technician provide a parts plus labor estimate for the repair. They should be able to provide that verbally (without seeing your Motif) because the repair requirements should be known to them.

musickeysman -

I also have an sx6 that works floorless
Thanks for your time

I’m glad your XS6 is currently working flawlessly. Fortunately, should it ever require tact switch replacement, considerably less disassembly is required on an XS6 than a Motif Classic. However, the same skills are still needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2018 @ 11:18 AM
musickeysman
Total Posts:  53
Joined  08-15-2003

Thanks so much this was very helpful

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2018 @ 07:58 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
musickeysman - 27 January 2018 11:18 AM

Thanks so much this was very helpful

You’re welcome. Good luck with either repairing the Classic or getting an XF.

[ Ignore ]