mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Have made moxf battery powered, help needed with cover"

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 11:40 AM
blueland
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-06-2015

Hi, I have 12 rechargable AA batteries connected in series and powering the moxf through a 12v voltage regulator. It’s works for several hours.

I’d like to hide the batteries in the slot under the moxf.

Does any one have any idea whether there is some kind of cover for the underneath slot?

Thanks, Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 04, 2017 @ 07:46 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Rick,

My understanding of the slot you mention is that it’s a vacant area of the machine that they didn’t build the casing around because there’s nothing there, and that decision likely helped keep the MOXF at that really nice light weight.

Are you taking your MOXF camping or something like that?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 05, 2017 @ 04:17 AM
blueland
Total Posts:  27
Joined  01-06-2015

Hi Philwoodmusic,

Thanks for the response, I’m actually using it as an experiment, I’m thinking of getting an mx49 and making that battery powered.

I looked at the the ms in a shop last week and it’s tiny, can’t believe they did not give a battery option.

Cheers Rick

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2017 @ 04:52 AM
Fnord
Total Posts:  18
Joined  12-23-2015

Acually, 12 AA batteries will give you 18 volts. Might be a bit much for the MOXF. 8 should be enough, or 10 if you use rechargeable ones. You could also try a Powerbank and solder a special Y-USB cable with the power cords in series to get 10 volts. Might work except the MOXF is picky about slight undervoltage.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2017 @ 11:56 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Fnord - 25 November 2017 04:52 AM

Acually, 12 AA batteries will give you 18 volts. Might be a bit much for the MOXF. 8 should be enough, or 10 if you use rechargeable ones.

Fresh alkaline AA cells would indeed provide 1.5 volts, or 18 volts for 12 in series, but that’s not what blueland is doing. He posted that 12 rechargeable batteries were being used, so depending on which type (NiMH is common currently), the voltage is likely to be about 1.2 volts per cell, or about 14.4 volts in total when the cells are charged. In addition, apparently the output is being run through a 12 volt regulator. That should provide a stable 12 volt source as the batteries discharge.

However, the MOXF internally regulates to 9 volts for audio circuits and 5 volts for digital, so an absolutely precise 12 volt supply isn’t a necessity. Rechargeable batteries typically have a decent discharge curve, with output staying close to the rated voltage for a good portion of the discharge cycle. It should be possible to forgo the regulator and use 10 rechargeables, as you mentioned.

Fnord -

You could also try a Powerbank and solder a special Y-USB cable with the power cords in series to get 10 volts. Might work except the MOXF is picky about slight undervoltage.

The MOXF’s 9 volt regulator is a linear type that requires a minimum input of 10 volts, so indeed this approach would be very borderline in terms of reliability.

I’d stick with blueland‘s original design or perhaps 10 1.2 volt cells without a regulator.

Of course, anyone creating an alternative power source for their MOXF should know what their doing, since there’s always the possibility of unforeseen problems.

[ Ignore ]