mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Question regarding recording levels"

Posted on: September 14, 2017 @ 04:11 PM
CommandingMotifAuthor
Total Posts:  15
Joined  06-06-2017

Hello, so bad bad mister I took your advice and I am using SPDIF to record entire arrangements as two track stereos into cubase. One question I have is about levels. It seems I am not getting that hard of a signal from the motif. Have a look at this wave form that I just recorded. I am recording through a focusrite saffire 40.  should I be recording it hotter levels?  if so, how can I get hotter levels short of adding a pre amp?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2017 @ 04:15 PM
CommandingMotifAuthor
Joined  06-06-2017

Unfortunately the image won’t upload. At any rate my input level is about -12db

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2017 @ 04:29 PM
CommandingMotifAuthor
Joined  06-06-2017

Also what sample rate should I set in my Saffire to capture Motif SPDIF

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2017 @ 12:35 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi CommandingMotifAuthor,

I think I gave you the S/PDIF advice. I’m not Bad Mister.

To improve the overall output level of a mix digitally, it is often a good idea to increase the level of each individual track in your song by the same amount in MIXING.  You must adjust every track in your mix and be consistent. This way, you maintain your musical balance and your overall digital output level will be louder.

If that isn’t working because you can’t push them all up any further, you may also need to adjust the output of the voices used in your song, by editing them and storing them to user locations in VOICE mode, first.

Your output level doesn’t need to be super loud either, healthy is fine. Aim for around two thirds to about three quarters level if you possibly can.

Once you’ve recorded your level, you can adjust the fader in Cubase to aim for a precise and commercially viable output level when you come to bounce your audio down to it’s final format.

16 or 24 bit would be absolutely fine at 44.1kHz, there’s no point in recording at 48kHz unless you are working in broadcast, because 48kHz is the standard for broadcast. I don’t think the Motif does 48k anyway, but I may be wrong..

I would personally use 24 bit 44.1kHz and align yourself with the music industry.

There’s also no kind of preamp that will help you increase a digital audio signal. 

Digital audio is just data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2017 @ 04:23 PM
CommandingMotifAuthor
Joined  06-06-2017

Yes it was you Phil, and I appreciate the insights. Yeah after I sent that I was like wait, there is no way to increase digital levels ha ha

Thanks again I’m on it

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2017 @ 04:28 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
CommandingMotifAuthor - 15 September 2017 04:23 PM

Yes it was you Phil, and I appreciate the insights. Yeah after I sent that I was like wait, there is no way to increase digital levels ha ha

Thanks again I’m on it

Of course, once the recording is in the digital domain, it can be normalized.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XF Flash Ram
Next Topic:

Vocoder question ››