mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "File Mode MOX6"

Posted on: January 25, 2012 @ 10:52 PM
hammondcuni
Total Posts:  55
Joined  12-28-2003

Is file mode confusing to you guys? Just yesterday I bought and put in a USB flash thumb drive. I formatted and all that but everything else is very confusing. I keep getting “file name invalid” but then I get it to save and load after spending some time. I try to save again and it puts me through error this error that again.Its just weird to me that such an important part of any workstations file system is so confusing.Does someone have a better explanation other than manuals?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2012 @ 12:19 AM
moxrox
Total Posts:  440
Joined  11-28-2011

Yes, the file mode is a bit confusing.  To save the current configuration, insert a USB flash drive and press File > F2 Config. [If you want to store the file in a subdirectory, use the cursor keys to highlight a directory, then press Exec to select the directory (use Exit to move back up to the previous directory).] Use the cursor keys to move to the filename field (on the left part of the screen) and enter the filename using the Data dial, using the cursor keys to select the character position within the filename.  When you have entered the name, press SF1 Exec to save the file.

To load a file, press File > F3 Load, select the type (All to load all settings), select the directory (see above), then use the cursor keys to select the saved file from the list of files on the right.  Press SF1 Exec to load the file.

More information is available on pages 57-58 and page 21 of the Owner’s Manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2012 @ 01:23 AM
hammondcuni
Joined  12-28-2003

Thanks moxrox. I kind of got the hang of it. But even if you know how to do it ,it still seems complicated. But all I need it for is to save my songs so this is enough for me. Now I can get back to making music.
Thanks again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2012 @ 10:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not learning to save will make getting back to making your music a very frustrating thing - because if you do not learn to STORE and SAVE your data you will eventually lose your data.

Here are some very basic things you need to know - that are not quite explained in plain talk - hope they help:

1) When you call up a synth lead sound - using the SELECTION buttons located to the right of the MOX screen, and you begin to manipulate the sound via the CONTROLS located to the left of the MOX screen, you will notice that a small letter “E” appears in the upper right corner of the screen. This indicates that the current VOICE data has been changed from the last stored status. If you want to preserve the changes you have made, you would need to press [STORE] to update the data in that VOICE.

If the VOICE is a “PRESET” you would be directed to one of the 384 USER locations to store this VOICE. What is going on is, when you recall a VOICE, it is transferred into the MOX’s RAM (basically an edit buffer) you are playing the VOICE while it is in the edit buffer.

If you move away from the VOICE without pressing [STORE] (say you call up a piano) the knob twists (edits) you did to the synth lead sound are discarded. The piano VOICE will now occupy the EDIT BUFFER and the Synth Lead Voice returns to its original previously STORED status.

USER VOICES are stored in a very special (very expensive) type of memory, called FLASH ROM - that is user rewritable, non-volatile and allows real time manipulation of the data. The only thing about it is you must press [STORE] to write data into it. That is, it does not automatically STORE your edits, you must actually press the [STORE] button to actively WRITE the edits into the MOX’s FLASH ROM - you are literally writing the RAM data to FLASH ROM. You will be asked to CONFIRM that this is what you want and you have to confirm the location for this operation.

If you move away to another VOICE, your last edit remains (temporarily) in the MOX’s EDIT BUFFER (a small amount of RAM preserves the very last edit as a safety). If you drop into EDIT again, and then press [JOB] and select “RECALL” you will be able to recall the last VOICE Edit that you were working on.

2) When you are working with the MOX Sequencer it works in a similar fashion when it comes to EDITING and STORING then SAVING data. The Sequencer has two parts (because it is two devices): it has the TRACKS that contain the MIDI data of your performing on the keyboard, and it has the MIXING (tone engine) that contain the Voices you are playing. Whether you make a change to the TRACK data, or to the TONE GENERATOR settings, the small “E” will appear in the upper right corner of the screen once the MOX detects that you have changed any data from the last stored status.

WHen you are working with the MOX Sequencer you working in an Edit Buffer that is volatile. Just like when you edited the VOICE, you are working in volatile RAM - when you make an edit you want to keep you must press [STORE]. This will store all edits to the SEQUENCER and the MIX and write it to one of 64 USER locations of the SONG mode or PATTERN mode.

If you move away from this SONG or PATTERN without first pressing [STORE] all changes you made between the last time you stored will be discarded - to prevent this accidental loss of data, you will receive a WARNING message: The data is about to discarded if you don’t return and press SAVE (I’m paraphrasing). Remember to look for the “E” - again it tells you that you have made a recent change - if it is an important change that you want to keep, PRESS [STORE]

3) It is always the STORED data that gets SAVED to a FILE.

The act of creating a FILE is called “SAVE” in the language of your Yamaha MOX. The File will only be created from the data that is properly STORED to the MOX’s FLASH ROM

Until you are familiar with all of the modes of the MOX6/MOX8 it is highly recommended that you SAVE your data in a file TYPE called “ALL”. This will create a FILE with the file extension (*.X4A): All User Voices, Performances, Songs, Patterns, Mix Templates, User Arps, Master programs, UTILITY mode preferences, Favorites, etc.

You can be assured that literally, all your data is SAVED (all the data that has been properly STORED).

4) The FILE operation is easy once you understand how it differs from one you may have encountered on your computer. On you computer you can view any type of file. This is not the case on the MOX and here’s why. You can only view FILES that can actually be used by the MOX. This means you can keep other data on your USB drive and not have to sift through that data if it is not going to be meaningful to the MOX itself.

Say you have a ton of PDF documents (the Owner’s Manual, the Reference Manual, several documents you downloaded from Motifator Support) on your USB stick, well, the MOX cannot load them so you will never see them when you navigate the FILE screens of the MOX.

What you do see is FOLDERS and FILES.
All Folders are, of course, seen. Because a FOLDER could contain data for the MOX
If you highlight a FOLDER and press ENTER to ‘open’ it, you will only see FILES (identified by their extension) that the MOX can actually use. If the File has an extension (*.PDF) it will be invisible. So if the folder contained the manuals - it would appear EMPTY.

However, if a FOLDER is ‘opened’ and it contains a file with the extension (*.X4A) you will see it. We call this kind of file navigation “context sensitive” - it does not show you files that are irrelevant.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2012 @ 10:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

How to SAVE a FILE
Ensure you have STORED all pertinent data to the MOX FLASH ROM
Connect the MOX to your USB drive via the “TO DEVICE” USB slot
Press [FILE]
Press [F2] SAVE
Set TYPE = ALL
Move the cursor DOWN between the brackets - that is where you can give the FILE a NAME. If you are unfamiliar with naming - please consult the manual as this skill will come in handy many times in the MOX.

Once you have setup a unique name (if the FILE name already is used the MOX will assume you want to OVERWRITE that file - this is how you update an old file, choose the same name).  If you are ready to OVERWRITE a file you will be asked to CONFIRM this action.

Press [SF1] EXEC to Execute the SAVE operation.

You have successfully made a backup of all of the data currently in you MOX.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2012 @ 10:12 PM
hammondcuni
Joined  12-28-2003

Wow BadMister!! Not that I am surprised at all by your detailed explanation it just shows how well my MOX6 investment continues to pay off. The support you give on this forum really is priceless. Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 30, 2017 @ 03:23 PM
gooner
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-30-2017

i have a mox6 and i have followed the instructions on how to save all data and it seems to save to my flash drive ok BUT when i go to load the file i saved, im assuming that the all the settings will go back to the settings i had when i saved them...but this is not the case am i doing something wrong ???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2017 @ 11:07 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
gooner - 30 July 2017 03:23 PM

am i doing something wrong ???

Probably! Loading an All file overwrites the entire contents of the MOX...voices, patterns, songs, performances and all system settings.

If this is not happening then there are only a couple of possibilities:

1. you didn’t save properly
2. you didn’t load properly
3. you did neither properly

when i go to load the file i saved, im assuming that the all the settings will go back to the settings i had when i saved them...but this is not the case

So what is the state of the settings after you reloaded the file? What changes had you made after the All file was first saved that were not overwritten? Be as specific as possible…

[ Ignore ]