mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Brass ensemble sounds"

Posted on: July 10, 2017 @ 05:45 PM
Halion76
Total Posts:  63
Joined  03-13-2015

I know these are hard to replicate but within a live band mix I find some of the onboard brass sounds mixed together in a performance decent.

Just wondering if there is some stellar library out there that I don’t know about?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2017 @ 07:41 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I concur, I use onboard brass with my XF in live performance also, and find various VOICES capable and versatile.

Can’t suggest other libraries, as I haven’t needed to get any.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2017 @ 01:28 AM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Whilst I haven’t bought it yet, I’ve been looking at Phoenix Brass a little bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwFDVnpDUY

I also like many of the stock brass voices on the Motifs, but most of the ‘horn section’ ones I like are a little bit too shiny and sound like a compromise to fit their no doubt quite small waveform size and as a result, can sound a little bit ‘plastic and aspirational’. 

When I say aspirational, what I mean is they’re aiming for what you hear on a typical Jerry Hey horn arrangement on any of the killer records he’s arranged on, with doubles, triples, chorusing, processing and various mics in near, far and room locations.  I’d prefer to hear that on records, but it might not mesh for a gig. 

So, you can either use something that sounds a bit like a half hearted attempt at horn recording perfection, or use something that sounds live and raw.  The Phoenix Brass library appears to be nearer to having a couple of guys as a real live horn section with you, spit and all.  What it won’t sound like is orchestral brass or a brass band, but could well be great for live pop, soul, funk and R & B.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2017 @ 08:06 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

You could also check Matt Traum’s library. It uses only internal samples, but it is completely programmed to be performed using breath controller. You could check MP3 demos at the same link. Matt is a professional wind controller player and sound designer, so he is a person who knows how brass sound should be and should be played.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2017 @ 08:47 AM
MapleCarbine
Total Posts:  40
Joined  12-11-2015

That sounds like the opposite of someone who knows what Brass should sound like.

I would talk to a touring trumpet player every single time.

I agree with Phil and I would take his ears over most people’s.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2017 @ 09:54 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Guys…

It’s all good,

Having a discussion about what brass voice sounds best or what is the most natural library is VERY primary business when you can make most brass voices sound good if you get the notes and voicings right in the first place.  That’s more than half the battle.

Anyone who has looked into horn section arrangement will know that it isn’t easy, has quite a set of rules, do’s and don’ts and exists in it’s own universe.  It often doesn’t translate to the keyboard very well, either.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2017 @ 05:10 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

I’ve heard unison brass sounds that sound fabulous for songs like Boogie Shoes that don’t require big elaborate chords.

One in particular, I am attempting to get from a friend, however, it must be like giving away his first child.  I offered to buy just that sound, trade other sounds, etc., but yet to get the patch from him.

This sound is on his Motif ES, and either he has the best patch I’ve ever heard for unison brass or the Sound Engineer needs a raise.

A whole lot of people seem to be protective of their sound creations and I understand with good reason.  However, the sounds that have been shared are modified factory sounds, which is fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2017 @ 08:40 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

That’s exactly what I find

A good blend in unison seems to show the voices off at their very best and you can get away with a lot.  A trumpet with an alto or tenor sax works well for that kind of thing.

Trumpets invariably take the lead line if you end up in areas of harmony, which is often used very sparingly on many popular charts.

A horn section part really needs to be played as a horn section would play it in order for it to translate and that causes problems for keyboard players right away. It’s several individual parts working together and that’s kind of incongruous with how keyboard players generally play. (block chords as if everything is an organ)

I think your friend is being a little bit mean to you, maybe try blackmail? (that’s if intimidation fails)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2017 @ 09:24 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
philwoodmusic - 18 July 2017 08:40 PM

[...]It’s several individual parts working together and that’s kind of incongruous with how keyboard players generally play. (block chords as if everything is an organ)

I agree, understanding the instrument(s) being played is often key to obtaining a realistic sound. Not to take this discussion off topic, but I made a similar observation concerning playing guitar via a keyboard…
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476689

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2017 @ 10:10 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

It’s the other classic really, but very much the same problem; voicing a guitar chord as if it were a keyboard and expecting it to sound like a guitar!

(then deciding to run it through an amp simulator to blur the problem a little)

Applied Acoustics Strum is really good for people who want to play chords as they normally would on a keyboard but have the plugin revoice them for guitar on the fly.  This plugin can sound very good run through an amp simulator actually.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/strum-gs-2/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 20, 2017 @ 05:01 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

I really wish that there was a thread dedicated to sharing sounds that are created by users that create their own patches such as Brass, Organ, etc.

I think this was tried once before and some were posting patches and banks that were purchased.

Anyway, I am always searching for the aforementioned Brass Ensembles, better pianos, and of course organ sounds, should anyone care too.

Thanks,

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2017 @ 07:10 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013
philwoodmusic - 11 July 2017 01:28 AM

Whilst I haven’t bought it yet, I’ve been looking at Phoenix Brass a little bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IwFDVnpDUY

I bought this tonight, it is very usable and was exactly as I thought.  It seems to have great detail and character and sound more real or live than most.  I’m quite happy to make this my go to horn section for gigs.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Need some MOXF6 help!
Next Topic:

Moxf Legs ››