mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can I use more than two voices in a split?"

Posted on: May 08, 2017 @ 03:42 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

On the new MX88, can I use more than two sounds at once and use note ranges to accomplish this?

For example: Left hand bass - right hand keys - upper right hand say, the topmost octave, a solo instrument like a flute.

So is it possible to layer (with note ranges) a piano and flute to the right of the split and a bass only sound to the left?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 08, 2017 @ 07:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As far as I’ve been able to determine, the MX88’s split and layering capabilities are no different than the MX models with fewer keys. Apparently the main advantage is that piano can be played with a full range of keys and better feel.

MX88 manuals, etc., can be downloaded:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id1=16277&product_id=2344534

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2017 @ 05:25 PM
yamoho
Total Posts:  18
Joined  03-18-2013

I’m not home now so can’t confirm, but 3rd party
Vycro MX app on your computer can be used to
add more voices to a performance. I know it works
for layers, so I assume for splits also

http://vycromx.com/

Runs on Windows and Mac.

-kirk

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2017 @ 01:33 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005
5pinDIN - 08 May 2017 07:15 PM

As far as I’ve been able to determine, the MX88’s split and layering capabilities are no different than the MX models with fewer keys. Apparently the main advantage is that piano can be played with a full range of keys and better feel.

MX88 manuals, etc., can be downloaded:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id1=16277&product_id=2344534

Thanks, already have the manuals but they are totally unclear on this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2017 @ 01:35 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005
yamoho - 09 May 2017 05:25 PM

I’m not home now so can’t confirm, but 3rd party
Vycro MX app on your computer can be used to
add more voices to a performance. I know it works
for layers, so I assume for splits also

http://vycromx.com/

Runs on Windows and Mac.

-kirk

Thanks...as an experienced MX owner it would be much appreciated if you coudl confirm. The store out here (Oz) does not do returns. So I would really need to confrim this before purchase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2017 @ 02:19 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mx/mx49/10623/8919/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2017 @ 04:48 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005
5pinDIN - 10 May 2017 02:19 PM

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mx/mx49/10623/8919/

haha, was talking about the MX manual (which is where I would have assumed this sort of data SHOULD have been).

Thanks for the link. Unfortuantely it does not confirm that all three voices (using the same exmple in the OP) will sound.

It says only when the part number on the MX is pressed?? So can this thing actually sound 16 parts at once, or can you only select one aprt at a time?

This article AND the manual do not state this specifically. I have been caught before with assuming operations that are not specifically stated and rather coucehd in generic terms. This is why I need specific info, and a pity the other poster doesn’t have time to repost.

Tossing up between this and a Roland FA-08, so far the 08 is winning the MIDI battle haha!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2017 @ 06:04 PM
yamoho
Total Posts:  18
Joined  03-18-2013

OK, I have not used it much so far, but I have managed to easily get a three-way split using VycroMX on my MX-61. Let’s see if I can post the screenshot I took:

(sorry if posted multiple times, never done this before...)

You can find a little info on this app on Yamaha’s site under FAQs, here is the link I used:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/mx/10590/8919/?current_page_id=2&sort=best&type;=

Pretty straightforward I guess if you are used to setting parameter via computer.

-kirk

Image Attachments
VycroMX-3-way-split.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2017 @ 01:34 PM
orderofthings
Total Posts:  6
Joined  03-02-2017

1.  as you can see above, it is very possible, but only after you hook the board up to your laptop.  This seems to be the main strategy for keeping the price down.  The editing software lets you do a TON of stuff that the keyboard’s manual is not going to tell you about, as the board alone just doesn’t have the function.

2. The FA-08 is winning because you are not comparing equivalent boards.  If you want to be fair to Yamaha, you need to compare the FA-08 to the MOXF8.  What you are looking at here (with the MX88) is similar, but in order to keep the price (waaay) down Yamaha has taken out the sequencer and made a laptop necessary for the real complex voice and performance editing. [oversimplified I know...]
Once you hook an MX up to a laptop?  You basically have all the capabilities of the bigger more expensive models.

That’s why I ended up getting the MX49 after weeks of comparing the FA-08 with the MOFX8.  I already had a laptop, so I figured I’d save some money now (MX49 was $500! and 5 lbs!) and eventually get a nice weighted-88-key electric piano to play through the MX49 one day.
Of course, it took them all of a month to come out with the MX88 AFTER I bought my 49… jerks…

SoundOnSound did a very comprehensive review that conveys what it possible when you plug it in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2017 @ 09:24 AM
kevin
Total Posts:  86
Joined  11-13-2003

I am still not clear on this ...

From your screen shot I see that using Vycromx you can PROGRAM 3 of the 16 parts of a performance with different key split points. However, according to the manual, you can only PLAY two parts of the performance at one time.  This would mean that you would have to scroll or button push down to PLAY the third part.

Here’s a basic example: Let’s say, using Vycromx, I create Performance number 2 as the following …
Part 1 = Piano (split point C3)
Part 2 = Organ (split point from C#3 to C#5)
Part 3 = Bells (split point from D5 up)

Question: At a gig, when I recall Performance 2, will all three voices play on the keyboard without having to turn the dial or push the up/down button? 

This was doable on my S70sx and MoES7. 

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ less than ideal input
Next Topic:

S70xs to MX88 Questions? ››