mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MSB - LSB Display in song mode"

Posted on: May 02, 2017 @ 05:52 PM
eisenfarn
Total Posts:  48
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, I’m controlling my XF from an external sequencer, eventually I will copy the MIDI file over to the keyboard for live work. On my old ES, when in song mode I could click on the “Mixing” button and this would display the MSB, LSB and voice number for the current track, the XF does not do this for some reason, can I get this info somewhere when in song mode?, thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2017 @ 07:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
eisenfarn - 02 May 2017 05:52 PM

Hi, I’m controlling my XF from an external sequencer, eventually I will copy the MIDI file over to the keyboard for live work. On my old ES, when in song mode I could click on the “Mixing” button and this would display the MSB, LSB and voice number for the current track,

I was unaware of the ES directly displaying those Parameters in that manner.

eisenfarn -

the XF does not do this for some reason, can I get this info somewhere when in song mode?, thanks

1) On the XF, press [MIXING] to display the 16 Parts.
2) Note the Bank for the Part you’re interested in - or press [EDIT] and then [1]~[16] and note the Bank (may be easier to read).
3) Note the Number, which is that of the Part’s Voice.

Then see the Bank Select table on page 127 of the XF Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/52366). Find the Bank in the table’s “Type” and “Memory” columns, and then the MSB and LSB for the Bank.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2017 @ 08:02 PM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. Yes the ES displays the bank MSB, LSB and voice number when in “Mixing” and click on “Voice”, why they should have removed that on the XF is beyond me, it just seems another step backward. I should have been clearer, I am aware that the XF displays the bank and voice number when “Mixing” is pressed, but “PR1” or suchlike is no good when I want to place the MSB / LSB into a MIDI file. Is there really no way to get it to display the bank MSB / LSB without looking it up in the manual?

Many thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2017 @ 08:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
eisenfarn - 02 May 2017 08:02 PM

[...]Is there really no way to get it to display the bank MSB / LSB without looking it up in the manual?

There is a way, which I forgot about because I don’t usually have a need for it.

Press [MIXING]
Select the Part
Press [F6](Vce Edit)
Press [SF6](INFO)

I suppose that’s easier than consulting the Data List.  :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2017 @ 10:50 PM
eisenfarn
Joined  01-24-2011

Hi, buried a bit deeper than on the ES, but it’s there, which is great, thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2017 @ 09:19 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
5pinDIN - 02 May 2017 08:37 PM

I suppose that’s easier than consulting the Data List.  :-)

I’ll just point out that there are not that many patch banks and they are in numerical order (more or less) so it’s easy enough to open up the Data List, get the numbers, write them onto a PostIt note and sticking that in plain sight.

Presets
MSB=63, LSB=0 to 7

User
MSB=63, LSB=8 to 11

Drum Preset
MSB=63, LSB=32

Drum User
MSB=63, LSB=40

GM
MSB=0, LSB=0

Drum GM
MSB=127, LSB=0

The GM settings are required for GM compliance, otherwise all the banks use an MSB of 63 and the LSB goes up in order starting with the preset banks, then the user banks. The drums are the only oddballs.

Why Yamaha uses such high MSB numbers, I do not understand. Most synths that are not GM compliant just use 0, 1, 2… for the MSB which is simple to remember. Anyway, remembering 63 is not too hard…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 06, 2017 @ 01:21 PM
stefpiano
Total Posts:  15
Joined  08-29-2012

Here a Free Calculator !

Image Attachments
Capture d’écran 2017-05-06 à 19.21.57.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 07, 2017 @ 08:13 AM
eisenfarn