mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "User Bank 1Voices-Repeated or Not?"

Posted on: May 04, 2017 @ 04:18 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Total Posts:  25
Joined  11-21-2012

Hey guys, I was hoping Bad Mister or anyone could answer this…..I read an article by Bad Mister dated 2012…I was hoping to store Newly created Edited Voices in Bank 1…..but then I saw this article……THanks for any help….

“…You cannot overwrite the PRESETs they are permanent. You can only write to the USER bank locations.

ANd here is what you want to know: The VOICES in USER 1 are unique (new Voices provided by Yamaha that you do not want to overwrite)… VOICES in [USER 2], [USER 3] and [USER 4] are “placeholder” Voices. This means, if you have not noticed - they are repeated Voices from the PRESET 1 - PRESET 8 Banks.”

I do not understand this,because when I read the existing Voice list in User Bank 1 in the owners manual,it lists that ALL Voices in Bank 1 Are Repeated Voices from another Bank….

What am I missing here?…

Jeffrey

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2017 @ 04:47 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mybenetton2012@aol.com - 04 May 2017 04:18 PM

Hey guys, I was hoping Bad Mister or anyone could answer this…..

It’s really unlikely that BM is going to reply here.

mybenetton2012@aol.com -

I read an article by Bad Mister dated 2012…I was hoping to store Newly created Edited Voices in Bank 1…..but then I saw this article……THanks for any help….

“…You cannot overwrite the PRESETs they are permanent. You can only write to the USER bank locations.

ANd here is what you want to know: The VOICES in USER 1 are unique (new Voices provided by Yamaha that you do not want to overwrite)… VOICES in [USER 2], [USER 3] and [USER 4] are “placeholder” Voices. This means, if you have not noticed - they are repeated Voices from the PRESET 1 - PRESET 8 Banks.”

As new or after a factory reset, the USER 1 bank contains unique Voices, as stated.

mybenetton2012@aol.com -

I do not understand this,because when I read the existing Voice list in User Bank 1 in the owners manual,it lists that ALL Voices in Bank 1 Are Repeated Voices from another Bank….

What am I missing here?…

Jeffrey

Please post the name of the manual and page number(s) where you saw that information - it certainly doesn’t apply to the Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2017 @ 07:14 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

I was referring to the VOICE/DATA list Manual…Specifically in Voice Mode…..not Performance or Master Mode…..In Voice List for USER 1, its lists the Previous Number/Voice/ Name..Catagory Main and Sub lists…
Page 11 of the YAMAHA MOTIF XF8 shows the USER 1 Voice list that I am referring to…….Where you referring to when the Motif was in Perf. or Master Mode that the voices were different or new?
THanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2017 @ 07:57 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mybenetton2012@aol.com - 04 May 2017 07:14 PM

I was referring to the VOICE/DATA list Manual…Specifically in Voice Mode…..not Performance or Master Mode…..In Voice List for USER 1, its lists the Previous Number/Voice/ Name..Catagory Main and Sub lists…
Page 11 of the YAMAHA MOTIF XF8 shows the USER 1 Voice list that I am referring to…….Where you referring to when the Motif was in Perf. or Master Mode that the voices were different or new?
THanks

I didn’t refer to Performance or Master modes. The unique Voices are in the USER 1 Voice bank, as listed under USR 1 (MSB=63, LSB=8) on page 11 of the XF Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/52366).

You might also note that at the bottom of that page is the following:
USR 2 (MSB=63, LSB=9)
USR 3 (MSB=63, LSB=10)
USR 4 (MSB=63, LSB=11)
Any of the Preset Voices is pre-stored to each voice number of the User Banks.

That last line refers to the three banks listed right above it, USER 2/3/4.

The Voices are listed only for USER 1 because (unlike the other three banks) those are not copies of Preset Voices.

The confusion is probably due to the fact that Yamaha did a “copy and paste” from the XS Data List. In the XS, all three User Voice banks have copies of Preset Voices. Yamaha changed the bank numbers when copying, but didn’t make it completely clear which User Voice banks in the XF had Preset Voice copies. (To see what I’m referring to, see page 9 of the XS Data List http://download.yamaha.com/file/8622)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 04, 2017 @ 08:43 PM
mybenetton2012@aol.com
Joined  11-21-2012

Ok……Thanks for clearing that up…..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2017 @ 08:07 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

mybenneton,

My suggestion is to simply back up User Bank 1, either in an All file or All Voices file so you can get them back more easily than going through a reset. Then you can freely overwrite whatever you like in all four User banks without permanently losing anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 05, 2017 @ 09:02 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
mybenetton2012@aol.com - 04 May 2017 08:43 PM

Ok……Thanks for clearing that up…..

You’re welcome.

Besides meatballfulton‘s suggestion, another thing to be aware of is that it’s possible to reset only the User 1 Voice Bank and A01-A08 of the User Drum Bank. See page 231 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Question about last Motif XF OS Update
Next Topic:

New Real Clavinet D6 Voices and Samples ››