mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "audio issue IOS 10.2.1 & firmware1.12"

Posted on: March 27, 2017 @ 09:35 AM
Giovanni71
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-27-2017

Hi, everyone. It’s been two years since I began to follow this forum and I find it very helpful, so thank you in advance, anyway.

I own an MOXF 6 and an Ipad 2 AIR both updated to the latest IOS/firmware avalaible.
I usually connect them thru Camera Connection Kit and USB cable (To Host). While I’m able to use midi (I play virtual instruments of the various app (such as Korg Gadget, Garageband, Yamaha mobile Seq., IM1, Nave...and so on) with no problem, I cannot transfer USB audio data from the MOXF to the tablet.
For example, I’d like to record the real sound of the MOXF in Garageband or in Gadget but the Ipad doesen’t record it, despite I can hear the sound of it and those of the app at the same time throught the headphones plugged in the MOXF.
I’ve checked the options in the menu of the synth: 4 channels enabled (I’ve also tried “1&2;” and “3&4;” in the various apps), MIDI via USB and all seems right.
I’ve also noticed that if in GBand sampler I choose “input 3 & 4”, it then shows “2 & 3”: weird…
Can somebody confirm the same behaviour? It’s a problem tied to the synth firmware or IOS? Maybe I’m missing something?

Thank you for your patience.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Giovanni71,

Welcome to Motifator.

The Yamaha steinberg usb driver is only available for Windows or Mac and you need to use that in order to record USB audio from your MOXF.  So, if your version of GarageBand is on mac, or you use another DAW on a computer, then you should be fine.  It won’t work on IOS, but MIDI will work, as you’ve found.

In terms of your MOXF,

USB outputs 3 & 4 are the default outputs on the MOXF for the tone generator (Voice audio).

USB outputs 1 & 2 are the default outputs for the A/D inputs.

Back up by saving an ALL file onto a thumb drive first, then try a factory reset on your MOXF to ensure your audio is routed as above.  Then, if you still don’t get any joy, you at least know it’s something to do with the software settings

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 01:27 PM
Giovanni71
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-27-2017

Hi philwoodmusic,

nice to meet you: your advice in other posts was very helpful to me.

Thank you for the reply: you’ve clarified very well. So the USB audio recording feature works fine on Macbook and so on, due to the Steinberg driver. No driver on IOS, so no audio: right?

Thank you again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 01:28 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes, that’s correct.

Thank you and you’re welcome, Giovanni71!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 11:04 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007
Giovanni71 - 28 March 2017 01:27 PM

Hi philwoodmusic,

nice to meet you: your advice in other posts was very helpful to me.

Thank you for the reply: you’ve clarified very well. So the USB audio recording feature works fine on Macbook and so on, due to the Steinberg driver. No driver on IOS, so no audio: right?

Thank you again.

That’s not correct! One of the main feature of the latest firmware for MOXF is full audio/MIDI compatibility with iOS devices with iOS 9 an higher. There were some problem when Apple have upgraded iOS from version 8 to 9 and I remember that I have lost connection to iPad. After upgrading MOXF to firmware 1.12 I could record both MIDI and audio directly to iPad Air 2. Apps that I’m mainly using are Cubasis, Yamaha Editors and Mobile Sequencer, IK Multimedia SampleTank and lot of other stuff.
You don’t need driver for iOS devices, since MOXF with the latest firmware is Class Compliant Device.
Since MOXF has two audio ports (one for its own tone generator and other for analog audio input like mic),
you should check whether you have correctly set audio port (channel 3-4 for audio from MOXF).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 11:23 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

To check the MOXF OS version (just to be sure)…
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB].
The “Firm” displayed is what’s currently installed.

See page 150 of the MOXF Reference Manual.

If needed, MOXF OS v1.12 can be downloaded here:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/68251

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 07:19 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Apologies Giovanni71,

I had no idea that it was possible.  You learn something new everyday!

Many people miss that the tone generator audio defaults to outputs 3 & 4, and that’s pretty much the number one reason why people post that they can’t get USB audio working in any situation.

We’ve now mentioned that THREE times in this thread, so that should tell you something.

That is usually an initial problem because your DAW or App will commonly set up audio tracks with inputs 1 & 2 by default, but it’s easily fixed by changing them (not your MOXF) to 3 & 4.

I will head off and fire some rounds at some baby food and dial in a bit better.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ SAMPLE FULL MESSAGE BUT SPACE STILL FREE ON FLASH
Next Topic:

Assignable function ››