mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Directions for importing DAW .wav’s into a Motif XF Song"

Posted on: March 19, 2017 @ 05:08 PM
cal900
Total Posts:  33
Joined  08-12-2013

Does anyone have a good process to use to import short phrases of vocals in .wav files into MIDI sequences (for the Motif XF)?  I searched this site and the web, but the closest I found shows how to do this for USER voices.  The directions in the manuals are detailed, but don’t cover importing externally recorded .wav files from a DAW.  I have two 1022m Flashboards installed with lots of room.  After three years of ownership you’d think I would’ve come across them, so, if I missed these directions, please point my nose to it; I know I must be missing something.  Thanks!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2017 @ 02:00 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

Are you really trying to import .wav files into a midi sequence?

If I understand what you are trying to do.

You can play your .wav file using some external device, connect that device to Motif’s A/D input and using the integrated sampler record your short vocal phrases into Song mode, or Pattern Mode, and they can be saved in Song mode or Pattern mode, or save as waveform if you have the additional hardware.

In this approach at least allow you to get the content from the .wav file into the Motif, and allows you to combine a midi sequence with the wav data to produce a Motif Song or Pattern.

In particular I’m referring to pages 50-53 of the Motif’s owner manual.

Hope this helps.

Just keep in mind that a Midi Sequence is data (not sound), and a wav file captures sound not data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2017 @ 02:10 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
cal900 - 19 March 2017 05:08 PM

Does anyone have a good process to use to import short phrases of vocals in .wav files into MIDI sequences (for the Motif XF)?  I searched this site and the web, but the closest I found shows how to do this for USER voices...Thanks!!

As noted, audio .WAV samples are not imported into MIDI sequences.

What is imported to a SONG or PATTERN is a MIDI reference to STORED (on your Flash Board) sample(s), and referenced by their connection with a VOICE.  DRUM VOICES are very useful for this purpose.

The method outlined above is one approach.

It would also be useful to you to download and study This Tutorial, and the PDF document within.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2017 @ 10:17 PM
cal900
Joined  08-12-2013

I so appreciate the time both of you, lastmonk and cmayhle, for your reply; both are very useful!  I appreciate your patience with the way I posed the question.  It would be seen as confusing, especially by newcomers to the XS/XF world.

MIDI keeps record of the time (and how) the .wav file plays in a SONG or PATTERN.  Thank you both for the suggestions in aligning the .wav files to the SONG.  I didn’t know if there was a streamlined way to get the them onto the Flashboard and applied to the SONG.  I know I’ll be able to use both techniques.  Again, thanks to both!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2017 @ 09:37 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
cmayhle - 20 March 2017 02:10 PM

As noted, audio .WAV samples are not imported into MIDI sequences.

What is imported to a SONG or PATTERN is a MIDI reference to STORED (on your Flash Board) sample(s), and referenced by their connection with a VOICE.  DRUM VOICES are very useful for this purpose.

If you use USR memory to hold the WAVs rather than flash, when the sequence is stored, the WAVs used by the sequence that are in USR memory get saved as well and will be restored when you reload the sequence.

In case noone mentioned it, the WAVs must be 44.1k and 16 bit, they can be either mono or stereo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2017 @ 03:03 PM
cal900
Joined  08-12-2013

Thanks meatballfulton - that’s really the way to go.  I’m glad you said… And where did you get your name? - (I love it!).  You don’t have to answer that :) But I am also glad you included 16 bit and 44.1.  I record these clips in Sonar and use the sampling rate at 48000 and in 24 bit sometimes. I appreciate it all!  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]