mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using buttons on my Moxf8 to trigger events in VSTs"

Posted on: March 02, 2017 @ 04:24 PM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015

I am sorry if I am asking the question the wrong way.  I have my Moxf8 connected to my PC and would like to use some of the “buttons” on it to trigger some events or changes in a VST.  More specifically, I have the Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ software and I would like to change the “stops” by merely pressing a button and not have to use my mouse to click on the console that is displayed on my PC screen.
Yes, I have and could hook up and external MIDI controller and use the buttons on it to achieve the same results.  But, that would be adding another piece of hardware/equipment to the equation.  I already have the Moxf8 and my foot pedals.  So, I was hoping that there is a way to get to the same place by using some of the control/buttons on the Moxf8.

Thank you all in advance
Cheers
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 04:13 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

Has no one posted anything on this because there is no answer or is it because I asked the question in the wrong place?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 05:23 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 08 March 2017 04:13 PM

Has no one posted anything on this because there is no answer or is it because I asked the question in the wrong place?

It may be due to lack of familiarity with Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ by anyone who read your post. I certainly knew nothing about it, so I did a Google search and found:
https://www.hauptwerk.com/faq/technical/

Excerpt from that page…
------
Q: How do I configure MIDI keyboards, pedalboards, stops, couplers, pistons, expression pedals etc. ?

A: Nearly all of the controls in Hauptwerk 4 and above, including the virtual instrument controls as well as Hauptwerk’s control panels and pistons toolbars and several menu items, may be configured by MIDI learn.

Simply right-click on the control to be configured and choose “Auto-detect” then follow the steps on screen to configure your hardware to control Hauptwerk. No MIDI experience is required to configure an organ console to interface with Hauptwerk, all settings are automatically assigned by Hauptwerk when using MIDI learn.
------

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 05:47 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015

Thank you for your reply 5pinDin. I probably should have phrased my question differently.
But yes..  you are right and page 42 of the Hauptwerk user manual says how to do that.
I guess my real question was…
Do all the buttons on the Moxf8 output MIDI messages that I could instruct Hauptwerk to “MIDI learn”?
So if, let’s say, I pick all the buttons over in the Performance section since there is a good bunch of them grouped together. Could I use them to control the stops in Hauptwerk and what kind of chaos would I be causing inside the Moxf8 itself when doing that?
I think the real crux of my question is can I do this without driving the Moxf8 nuts either temporarily or permanently?
Keep in mind that the output volume of the Moxf8 would be turned all the way to off while using it as the “console” for Hauptwerk.
Or am I better off just using and external MIDI controller?

Thanks again for your reply

Regards
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 07:32 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
pblais - 08 March 2017 05:47 PM

Thank you for your reply 5pinDin. I probably should have phrased my question differently.
But yes..  you are right and page 42 of the Hauptwerk user manual says how to do that.

You’re welcome.

pblais -

I guess my real question was…
Do all the buttons on the Moxf8 output MIDI messages that I could instruct Hauptwerk to “MIDI learn”?

Not all MOXF buttons cause MIDI messages to be sent, and with those that do the message can depend on the mode.

pblais -

So if, let’s say, I pick all the buttons over in the Performance section since there is a good bunch of them grouped together. Could I use them to control the stops in Hauptwerk and what kind of chaos would I be causing inside the Moxf8 itself when doing that?
I think the real crux of my question is can I do this without driving the Moxf8 nuts either temporarily or permanently?

I presume that you’re referring to the Group (A~H) buttons and the numbered (1~16) ones. In Voice or Performance modes, pressing a numbered button should cause Bank Select and Program Change messages to be sent. The message will be different for each of the 16 buttons, and a different set of 16 would be sent for Groups A through H. That’s a total of 128 different messages that could be sent. It certainly wouldn’t cause any problems for the MOXF, since all that is happening is Program selection.

What’s unknown to me is what sort of MIDI messages Hauptwerk is compatible with. You could just select a Group (I’d start by pressing “A” on the MOXF first). Then use “MIDI Learn” with the numbered buttons. If that works, but you need more than 16 selections, press “B” on the MOXF, then have Hauptwerk “learn” that set of 16. Etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 03:22 PM
pblais
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 08 March 2017 07:32 PM

I presume that you’re referring to the Group (A~H) buttons and the numbered (1~16) ones. In Voice or Performance modes, pressing a numbered button should cause Bank Select and Program Change messages to be sent. The message will be different for each of the 16 buttons, and a different set of 16 would be sent for Groups A through H. That’s a total of 128 different messages that could be sent.

You are right.

What’s unknown to me is what sort of MIDI messages Hauptwerk is compatible with. You could just select a Group (I’d start by pressing “A” on the MOXF first). Then use “MIDI Learn” with the numbered buttons. If that works, but you need more than 16 selections, press “B” on the MOXF, then have Hauptwerk “learn” that set of 16. Etc.

It worked perfectly “right out of the box” so to speak. I did “MIDI Learn” on about 12 stops on Group A1, then more on A2. I don’t think I will need more than the first group.

It certainly wouldn’t cause any problems for the MOXF, since all that is happening is Program selection.

Again, you are right.. and with the main volume turned all the way down, (in addition to having the Moxf8 connected to the computer, I have it connected to a pair of studio monitors) everything worked very well

Again, thank you very much for you help 5pinDIN

Cheers
Pierre

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 04:49 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome, again - I’m glad you were able to accomplish what you wanted.

[ Ignore ]