mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "import ES waveform to XF ??"

Posted on: March 07, 2017 @ 11:22 PM
mr_piano
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-07-2017

I’ve upgraded to the XF from the ES but there are waveforms I like better on the ES. The nylon guitar on the ES uses a waveform that I cant find on the XF. My question: Is it possible to transfer some of the waveforms from the ES to the XF? Thanks in advance if you know the answer and extra thanks if you can give me an idea of how to do it. THANK you. - tony

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 07, 2017 @ 11:38 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

No, you won’t be able to transfer a native WAVEFORM from the ES to the XF...so I guess I won’t be getting the extra thanks offered for the “how-to”!

You can delve into it a bit more by going to This Thread...and This One, also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 12:11 AM
mr_piano
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-07-2017

Thanks, I understand why Yamaha doesn’t want to give away waveforms they’ve developed. Didn’t think of that. Maybe they’ll bring back some of those good waveforms in a future keyboard. until then, i have an ES rack to use with the XF. I think Yamaha made a mistake - if they have all this extra room for waveforms, why did they have to eliminate so many and make upgrading such a chore. thanks again for saving me some time and wasted effort.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 02:18 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mr_piano - 08 March 2017 12:11 AM

Thanks, I understand why Yamaha doesn’t want to give away waveforms they’ve developed.[...]

I hesitate to make this suggestion, but if you so badly want a particular Waveform, why not grab a few samples of it with the XF? You certainly aren’t cheating Yamaha out of anything, since you own an ES. Turn off the ES effects, and set up the envelopes so the entire sample plays. Get a sufficient number of samples to cover the note range as in the ES. It will take some effort to get it right, but you’ll become more familiar with sampling on the XF in the process.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 03:56 PM
keyman@usa.net
Total Posts:  77
Joined  07-28-2006

I may not understand the precise Yamaha terminology but I migrated sounds from my ES to my XF. The example would be the “Live Scat” sound. It was not native to my ES. I purchased it and loaded and used it in the ES. When I purchased my first XF I loaded my ES ‘all’ file and that “Live Scat” voice loaded into the XF. My XF’s have Flash boards installed.
I defer to 5pinDIN and cmayhle and the very knowledgeable folks that help and teach me here in this forum.

Welcome clarifications understanding and terminology so we can all benefit.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 04:02 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Another example would be the ES “vocolead” sound. I migrated it to my XF as well.
ES has memory installed;XF has Flash installed.

Clarification: I copied the “vocolead” voice into a USR sound bank on the ES then saved an ‘all’ file.

Looking forward to learning.
Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 08, 2017 @ 06:52 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

keyman@usa.net, the OP is interested in moving a native WAVEFORM (audio sample data) from the ES to the XF, which lives in the ROM of the ES and thus is read-only.

You are referring to moving a USER VOICE from the ES to the XF...which as you know is easily done...but that does not relocate a copy of the original ROM WAVEFORM to the XF, as desired by the OP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 02:16 AM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
cmayhle - 08 March 2017 06:52 PM

keyman@usa.net, the OP is interested in moving a native WAVEFORM (audio sample data) from the ES to the XF, which lives in the ROM of the ES and thus is read-only.

You are referring to moving a USER VOICE from the ES to the XF...which as you know is easily done...but that does not relocate a copy of the original ROM WAVEFORM to the XF, as desired by the OP.

cmayhle, In the 2nd example “vocolead” is listed in the ES data list. That would seem to indicate it is a factory voice. 
Would be curious if someone would replicate the steps and describe their results.

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 03:07 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
keyman@usa.net - 09 March 2017 02:16 AM
cmayhle - 08 March 2017 06:52 PM

cmayhle, In the 2nd example “vocolead” is listed in the ES data list. That would seem to indicate it is a factory voice. 
Would be curious if someone would replicate the steps and describe their results.

Cheers!

Yes, you can SAVE...and relocate to another machine...a factory PRESET VOICE, such as “vocolead”, by STORING a copy to a USER location and SAVING to an ALL or ALL VOICE file (As you have done).

What you cannot do is relocate a factory WAVEFORM associated with that VOICE...which is what the OP was hoping to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 10:55 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
keyman@usa.net - 08 March 2017 03:56 PM

[...] Welcome clarifications understanding and terminology so we can all benefit.

I’ll try to help a bit with Yamaha terminology. I hope this clarifies things somewhat…

Sample:
A digital audio recording of a sound, which might be a simple sinewave or a more complex note played on a piano, etc. Samples by themselves can’t be directly played by a Motif.

Waveform:
A type of data that organizes one or more samples (up to 128 of them) in a way that the Motif can use them. Things such as key assignment and velocity range for each sample are included in a Waveform. Factory Preset Waveforms are stored in a built-in ROM, while User Waveforms may be loaded to SDRAM or installed to an optional flash module, depending on the model.

Voice:
A set of Parameters that specify how the Motif will play one or more Waveforms (up to eight for a Normal Voice, and up to 73 for a Drum Voice). Some of those Parameters are applied to individual Voice Elements (up to eight may be active per Normal Voice), and others apply in Common to all of the Elements. One of the Parameters in an Element points to a specific Waveform, while others define usage of that Waveform - note range, amplitude, pitch, and many other factors are detailed.

The Synthesizer Parameter Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/48523) should help with further definitions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 09, 2017 @ 12:16 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Thank you cmayhle & 5pinDIN

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]