mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "BROKEN INC/YES KEY"

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 01:36 PM
loverzrok
Total Posts:  5
Joined  10-08-2012

I have a non-working INC/YES Key on my XS8.  I already did the factory reset but it has not resolved.  The key does the opposite thing or random function when depressed.  It does not increment or “yes” when pressed.  Do I need to replace it?  What part would I need and where can I get it?  I am not in the US or major country to take it for repair.

Thanks for any advice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 02:00 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
loverzrok - 20 February 2017 01:36 PM

I have a non-working INC/YES Key on my XS8.  I already did the factory reset but it has not resolved.

Welcome to the forum.

A factory reset won’t affect the operation of such buttons under any circumstances.

loverzrok -

The key does the opposite thing or random function when depressed.

What sort of things does pressing the button do?

loverzrok -

It does not increment or “yes” when pressed.  Do I need to replace it?

The switch might need to be replaced, although there are other possibilities.
Was anything spilled on the XS8’s panel?

Do you have a USB ASCII keyboard, or can you borrow one?

loverzrok -

What part would I need and where can I get it?

That remains to be determined. Please reply to the above questions, which will help us determine what might be wrong.

loverzrok -

I am not in the US or major country to take it for repair.

Thanks for any advice.

Since you aren’t in the US, please edit your member profile so that it doesn’t indicate “country USA”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 02:08 PM
loverzrok
Joined  10-08-2012

Pressing the key cause it to do the opposite most of the time - like enter no - or jump around the screen.

I am only out of the us temporarily - travelling back soon but not with the motif. 

Nothing spilled on it.

I do have a pc keyboard I can use…

Thanks so much.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 03:01 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
loverzrok - 20 February 2017 02:08 PM

Pressing the key cause it to do the opposite most of the time - like enter no - or jump around the screen.

I am only out of the us temporarily - travelling back soon but not with the motif. 

Nothing spilled on it.

I do have a pc keyboard I can use…

If the XS is updated to at least OS version 1.10, you can plug a USB ASCII keyboard into the TO DEVICE port.

See page 5 of https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/335278/motifxs_en_add_v150a0.pdf

The “+” key should operate as the “INC/YES” button on the XS for incrementing in most situations. Not documented in the PDF is use of the “Y” key in instances where “YES” is required. For example, to STORE a User Voice, when “Are you sure? NO/YES” is displayed, you can press “Y” (or “N") on the ASCII keyboard.

If you use the ASCII keyboard, does it work correctly in place of the “INC/YES” button?

loverzrok -

Thanks so much.

You’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 03:38 PM
loverzrok
Joined  10-08-2012

I am trying to load sequences from the usb stick.. so putting the keyboard into that slot wont help as it is only one slot available.  I did try it anyway and it did not do anything… maybe I didn’t do it right but it will not help much anyway.

Do you know which part I need to replace to get the button working again?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 04:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
loverzrok - 20 February 2017 03:38 PM

I am trying to load sequences from the usb stick.. so putting the keyboard into that slot wont help as it is only one slot available.

I wasn’t expecting you to leave the ASCII keyboard there, just to determine if the XS functioned correctly with it as I explained previously. However, a USB 2.0 hub could be attached to the TO DEVICE port, allowing an ASCII keyboard and one or more USB flash drives to be used at the same time.

loverzrok - 20 February 2017 03:38 PM

I did try it anyway and it did not do anything…

If the ASCII keyboard doesn’t work, then it’s possible that the XS has a very early version of the operating system installed.

Which version of the XS OS is installed? (most recent is 1.60)

To check the OS version…
Press and release the [UTILITY] button to get into Utility mode.
Then press [UTILITY], [ ^ ](Cursor Up) and [F1] buttons at the same time. Check the Firmware Version. What is it?

loverzrok -

maybe I didn’t do it right but it will not help much anyway.

It will help, presuming that the OS is version 1.10 or later, especially if a USB hub is used.

loverzrok -

Do you know which part I need to replace to get the button working again?

More information is needed to help diagnose the problem.

It might be the switch, but usually a bad one will either work or not. It’s not typical for there to be random operation as if other buttons were pressed.

Is the XS located in an area with high humidity and/or coastal “salt air”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 05:19 PM
loverzrok
Joined  10-08-2012

I have version 1.07.0.  The board is in a studio environment - no humidity to speak of.  I guess I should update the firmware at this point?

Thanks so much for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 06:05 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
loverzrok - 20 February 2017 05:19 PM

I have version 1.07.0.  The board is in a studio environment - no humidity to speak of.  I guess I should update the firmware at this point?

Thanks so much for your help!

There were numerous fixes and several new features added as the OS was updated, so it’s usually a good idea to stay current.

The XS OS v1.60 update is available here:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21001
Be sure to read the v160Readme_e.txt file. Use a USB flash drive that is known to work reliably with the XS. Make sure you have a solid source of AC power.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 06:34 PM
loverzrok
Joined  10-08-2012

Ok, I actually found that link earlier and updated… now it is version 1.6. Same issue as before, but the computer keyboard DOES send messages appropriately now.  I guess I will have to get a usb hub to have my cake and eat it too then…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 07:09 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
loverzrok - 20 February 2017 06:34 PM

Ok, I actually found that link earlier and updated… now it is 1.6. Same issue as before, but the keyboard DOES send messages appropriately now.

Since the ASCII keyboard now works, you might want to forgo repairing the [INC/YES] button problem. Based on your description of symptoms, it seems that something is causing the button (tact switch) presses to be decoded incorrectly. The XS Service Manual (https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_motif_xs6_xs7_xs8.pdf/download.html) covers a diagnostic Test Mode, has part numbers, etc., if you want to delve into the problem. I suggest that whoever might work on your XS8 should have good mechanical, electronic, and soldering skills, because it’s easy to make things worse than they are now.

loverzrok -

I guess I will have to get a usb hub to have my cake and eat it too then…

I use a small passive (non-powered) USB 2.0 hub with my XF and XS. Such hubs are fairly inexpensive. The ASCII keyboard stays plugged in, and it allows use of two flash drives. I can select either of the flash drives from File mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Latency/clipping/polyphony?
Next Topic:

Problem with charged voices ››