mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Bypassing FX at the element level"

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 11:36 AM
pmoody
Total Posts:  16
Joined  05-21-2015

Hey guys,
I have a few patches on my XF7 where I need to bypass an effect midway through each song. For example, one particular patch features a piano intro that has a fast rotating speaker effect, however I want to be able to bypass that effect after the song’s intro without using the Global Insert Effects switch because that affects all the patches on the entire keyboard if I don’t remember to switch it back on for the next patch.

Is there a way to assign an effects’ bypass to the A or B assignable switches on the front panel or perhaps the effect send level to one of the other knobs on the panel at the voice or performance patch level, instead of using the main Insert Effects switch?

Many thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2015 @ 06:33 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Try editing the Controller Set for the voice. Depending on the effect you may be able to control a parameter to disable it, for instance dry/wet balance.

Rotary effects do not have dry/wet balance but some have rotor speed. If you set the slow speed to 0, that is as close as you probably can get to disabling the effect.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2015 @ 11:29 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
pmoody - 05 October 2015 11:36 AM

Hey guys,
I have a few patches on my XF7 where I need to bypass an effect midway through each song. For example, one particular patch features a piano intro that has a fast rotating speaker effect,

I’d like to determine if what you want can be done, but first we need to agree on terminology…

The subject of your topic is “Bypassing FX at the element level”. Insert Effects can be applied to a Voice, where they affect all of the Elements, although Insert Effect Output for an Element can be set to either “thru”, “Ins A”, or “Ins B”. Did you mean something other than Element level?

I’m also not sure what you mean by “one particular patch features a piano intro”. Yamaha uses the term “patch” in a way that’s not related to what you’re discussing. If you meant “Voice”, then I don’t understand how it can have an intro.

pmoody -

however I want to be able to bypass that effect after the song’s intro without using the Global Insert Effects switch because that affects all the patches on the entire keyboard if I don’t remember to switch it back on for the next patch.

Is there a way to assign an effects’ bypass to the A or B assignable switches on the front panel or perhaps the effect send level to one of the other knobs on the panel at the voice or performance patch level, instead of using the main Insert Effects switch?

It seems you’re working in only Voice or Performance mode. Is that the case? Would Song or Pattern mode, or perhaps Master mode, be acceptable for a possible solution for your request?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2015 @ 10:50 PM
pmoody
Joined  05-21-2015

Yeah I’m still learning about using the different operating modes on my XF. I first started out programming my band’s entire set-list in Voice mode, but since discovering limitations in that mode (for example not being able to mix Mono & Poly sounds in the same patch,) I started to re-create those sounds as Performance patches. I have not delved into Master mode yet so I’m unaware of what that offers.

To give a clearer idea of what I’m trying to achieve here’s a specific example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91ti_MpdHA

The intro to the song features a solo piano played through a fast spinning Leslie speaker, then once the rest of the band joins in the effect is completely bypassed. Hence why I need to bypass this using a an assignable button or knob rather than using the main Insert Effect bypass switch. Hope that makes sense.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2015 @ 01:18 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

One possible approach…

Create a Performance, using the same piano sound with the Rotary Speaker effect for both Parts 1 and 2. For Part 2 set the Insertion Effect Switch to “off” (for Part 1 it should be “on"). See page 111 of the XF Reference Manual for details.

When you select the Performance, press [SOLO], then
press [1] when you want the effect
press [2] when you want it off

Switching between [1] and [2] will cause any sustained notes to be cut off. If that’s a problem, a Song or Pattern Mix could be similarly set up - switching Parts in those modes won’t cause the cutting off.

Eventually you might want to use Masters for your set-list. Voices, Performances, and Song/Pattern Mixes can all be associated with Masters, so once set up you could stay in Master mode no matter how your sounds were initially programmed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2015 @ 03:22 AM
pmoody
Joined  05-21-2015

Thank you so much guys, especially 5PinDIN for your insightful assistance. I will try this tonite when I finish work.

Coincidentally I want to add my voice to the chorus of converts here and mention that I’ve been using the John Melas Voice editor now for a while to do my sound editing and design, and just purchased the rest of his editors. While the Yamaha Voice editor looks very fancy, it is no match for the intuitiveness and simplicity of the Melas software, and at a very reasonable price.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOTIF File Extension List
Next Topic:

Is there an undocumented SysEx for Screen Capture? ››