mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "CP1 expression pedal for external zones"

Posted on: May 19, 2014 @ 08:54 AM
wavesequence
Total Posts:  30
Joined  07-20-2009

I thought so many times where to post because on this wonderful forum there’s no a dedicated section for stage pianos.
Thus I decided to insert my post here on Programming because it’s a matter of programming after all.

With this post I’m trying to help a friend of mine who owns a CP1 but the same post is valid for me too because I own a more recent CP4 that, as far as I can see, has a very similar operating system - at least for masterkeyboard functions.

The goal is playing and driving volume of an external instrument (expander or keyboard) with an expression pedal (FC-7).

The CP1 user/owner is not able to program a Performance where a Zone (3 or 4) drives independently the volume of an external instrument.
The easiest case encompasses a Performance where Zone 1 and 2 pertain to internal CP1 timbre, while zone 3 and 4 are associated to external ones.

It seems that FC-7 acts on both zones, thus attempting to decrease the volume of the external instrument also the volume of the internal Voices are lowered.
In other words it looks that a bug affects CP1 (and CP5 and CP4) operating systems such that it’s not possible to drive the zone volumes indipendently.

Please help,
thanks
ws

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2014 @ 10:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It seems that FC-7 acts on both zones, thus attempting to decrease the volume of the external instrument also the volume of the internal Voices are lowered.
In other words it looks that a bug affects CP1 (and CP5 and CP4) operating systems such that it’s not possible to drive the zone volumes indipendently.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding what you are calling a bug… There is no bug. You are playing (triggering) both internal and external Zones by pressing keys. Correct? It follows logically that your controllers are also modifying the Zones. Simple. You play a key, all zones respond. You move the FC7 pedal, all zones respond. What’s the bug! That is how it should work.

You simply have not thought it through. Of course that’s how it works. If you want to setup separate control of the internal and external Zones, you have set that up. But the default situation is basic MIDI… All devices on the controlled channels respond similarly to MIDI messages sent on those channels. Right?

You can set each Zone to transmit or not transmit VOLUME by setting the “VOL” parameter under the “TxSw” (Transmit Switches) as the name implies, these Transmit Switches determine what commands are transmitted to each Zone and what commands are not. Here’s how…

On the CP4
Recall the PERFORMANCE you wish to work with. Each Performance has its own “Master Keyboard” setup
Press [EDIT]
Arrive at the COMMON Screen (top of the list) you will know it’s the Top of the list because only a Down arrow is indicated in the screen.

Use the DOWN CURSOR to select 03:Master Keyboard
Set the “MasterKbdSw” = on
Cursor Down to “Zone 1”
Set the"ZoneSw" = on
Set the “Channel” = as you require for your external device
Cursor Down
Set “Octave” and “Transpose” = as you require
Cursor Down
Set your “Note Limit” as you require
Cursor Down
Set the BANK MSB/LSB and Program Change to recall your external device
Cursor Down
Set the initial Volume and Pan for your external device

Cursor Down to “TxSw”****
If you do not wish to control this Zone set “VOL = off
However, you do wish to control it so set VOL = on

If you would rather control this external Zone with a SLIDER, Cursor Down
Set the TxSw for SLIDER = the slider you wish to use to control the external device.
You’re going for separate control so select either the “SPLIT” or “LAYER” SLIDER

Cursor Down to view the other TwSw parameters.
If you do not want the FC7 to control the external Zone, set FC1 = off
Doing so will allow you to use the FC1 to control the volume of the internal CP4 sound and the SLIDER to independently control the external Zone.

Did you know you can physically link two FC7 pedals (there is a plate on the bottom that allows you to attach the pedals to keep them organized under your keyboard) - and with this extremely programmable Master Keyboard function you can have independent Foot Controllers for internal/external Zones.

If you only have one FC7 pedal you can control the CP4 (internal) sound with the FC7 and your external Zone with an assigned Slider, or not at all - it’s your choice.

Sorry, there is no bug. It’s a feature! Hope that helps.

Let us know. The CP1, CP5 and CP4 are different products.... And may have different key presses. We answered for the CP4 above (because that is what you said you owned). But that should get your friend started as well, although offhand I don’t recall it being the same, not sure why you indicate they are all the same. Anyway, get back to us if your friend gets stuck… Or better yet, have them post.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2014 @ 04:13 PM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Bad_Mister

Thanks for your reply detailed as usual. I’ll do some experiments with my CP4 hoping to find some common points with CP1.
In my setup CP4 is just a simple weighted controller connected to a somewhat large setup but it’s role is rather distant from a masterkeyboard. Anyway this is a good occasion to know a little in deep my gear :)
In conclusion my goal is controlling with FC7 the volume of an external instrument without influencing the volume of internal ones. Is this possibke without being driven mad? ;)

I’m sorry for my double identity… Once upon a time I used wavesequence but I can’t explain why posted with this old nickname when digitalperformer7 is more recent…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 19, 2014 @ 07:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

my goal is controlling with FC7 the volume of an esternal instrument without influencing the volume of internal ones. Is this possibke without being driven mad?

Easy.
Call up the Performance you want to edit
Press [EDIT]
Select 02:PART
Select 06:RECEIVE SWITCH
Cursor down until you see “FC1”
Set FC1 = off.

See how simple… Master Keyboard Switch > TRANSMIT SWITCHES for your external device
Part > RECEIVE SWITCHES for the internal Voice

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2014 @ 01:46 AM
digitalperformer7
Total Posts:  253
Joined  12-07-2011

Again thanks.

This needs a try :-)

[ Ignore ]