mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Help me choose between Motif XS or Korg PA600"

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 08:40 PM
anibeasts
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-21-2014

I have a hard time deciding what to choose. I like the idea of having an arranger keyboard like the PA600 (currently have PSR-630) for the purpose that you can play backing patterns based on chords and switch between them on the fly or extend the sections as necessary during live performances. But I like the Motif XS for its large collection of sounds.
I know the Motif XS can play back midi file but that is set in stone during live performance.
I have various music taste from classic Pink Floyd to trance, and like to play covers. I consider myself a beginner keyboard player.
Is anyone here able to advise?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 09:08 PM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011

The Motif XS is a fantastic board - I like it a lot. One thing you should check into, if you like arranger type functionality, is the KARMA Motif Software. It does require using a computer, but it gives the Motif XS a lot of arranger-type functionality that isn’t built-in. It’s specifically designed for that. That way you can have a true workstation, but still have some of those arranger-type functions when you want them. Just another option for you to consider. Best of luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2014 @ 09:46 PM
anibeasts
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-21-2014

Thanks Stephen.
I like your KARMA software and have watched the video before. In KARMA can I program the arpeggios pattern myself? If I wanted to play a cover of a song could I program all the sounds and drums to match the song?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2014 @ 12:05 AM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011

Yes, you can program “arpeggios” (we call them GEs or Generated Effects), and it is possible to program up something that resembles a certain tune. But I will not lie and tell you that it’s easy. It takes some time. But programming a Korg PA “style” or a Tyros “style” for that matter, is also a lot of work. I know, I’ve done styles before for early Korg arrangers. I guess the benefit with dedicated arrangers is they come with a lot of styles that do a lot of popular tunes. We don’t try to emulate popular tunes so much as provide “general styles” that can be morphed into a lot of different directions. But it’s another option....

[ Ignore ]