mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sample rate conversion at 48 khz"

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 09:39 AM
benoit
Total Posts:  173
Joined  08-19-2009

Hello!

I would like to ask if someone has the Behringer Ultra match pro or any other sample rate converter. I will have to record at 48 khz sometimes and I am looking for a solution to record the output of the XF digitally into the DAW at this SR.

I have a RME fireface which works wonder.

Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 01, 2014 @ 09:30 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi benoit,

The simple solution would be to record the analogue LEFT and RIGHT OUTPUTS of the XF to your RME interface analogue INPUTS and set your DAW at 48k, which would bypass your need for a sample/bit rate converter of any kind and you’d still get excellent sound quality.

(You have specified you wish to make a DIGITAL recording, though, and the above is an analogue recording converted to Digital at the end.)

You also might be thinking that you could do it via the XF USB To Host, which is designed to work with a computer and software using Yamaha drivers.  The Behringer Ultramatch Pro does not have a USB input of any kind and couldn’t be supported as a host if it did.

The best way to do it is by using the Digital S/PDIF OUTPUT on the XF direct (via RCA pin coaxial cable) to the DIGITAL INPUT labelled ‘RCA’ on the input side of the Behringer’s rear.

The XF outputs digital audio at 24 BIT/44.1 via the digital S/PDIF output.

It is then up to you how you decide to come out of the Behringer and into your RME to make your recording (depending on what kind of inputs it has).  This will most likely be another straight S/PDIF connection between the Behringer S/PDIF DIGITAL OUT and your RME interface S/PDIF DIGITAL IN, but the Behringer does support a variety of other digital formats. 

You also haven’t specified what bit rate you intend to use? The Behringer deals with bit rates up to 24, though.

So yes, you could do it using the Behringer, for sure. 

Having not ever played through one ‘live’ where timing is everything, it would be sensible to expect that you may get sync issues using such a device.  You may not get them though.  I am unable to advise you on that, sorry.

I really have to ask why you need to record at 48k though? 

Typically, anyone recording at 48k is working with broadcast audio.  If they aren’t working with broadcast audio, they are often trying to add to a recording they or someone else made at 48k at another time (perhaps accidentally) and need to keep in line with it.

Beyond that, people use 48k simply because it is higher than 44.1 and their human instincts to excel and only use the highest spec they can are ‘hoping’ to appreciate an 8 percent improvement in sound quality without looking ahead to when their music is all finished and mixed, at which point, that 8 percent improvement will be wasted when the audio is converted down to 44.1 for a CD or download release. (or by a mastering engineer first)

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2014 @ 05:39 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Motif XF can be recorded digitally to your DAW via FW (requires FW16E) which can be set to 24-bit/ 44.1, 48, 88.2, or 96kHz your choice.

If you already own an RME, before you spend any money, verify that it does not already do this conversion for you. I cannot imagine that it would not have the ability to do 48kHz since it does 192khz. It’s not a difficult division operation for a device that expensive…

I would be shocked if it doesn’t do 48kHz

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New Motif XS album: City of Lights
Next Topic:

do not laugh byJB ››