mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "i-MX1 and ipad (4) Lightning"

Posted on: February 13, 2013 @ 10:21 PM
Holth
Total Posts:  25
Joined  02-21-2008

Going to buy a midi interface for my new iPad but is there an updated/new version of the i-MX1 that uses the Lightning connector?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2013 @ 09:58 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There is a new cable, the iUX-1, which connects to the USB “To Host” port. But it also features the original 30-pin conection. A Lightning to 30-pin Adaptor is needed for connecting to iPhone 5/iPod touch (5th generation)/iPad (4th generation)/iPad mini.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2013 @ 08:55 AM
Dreamchilde
Total Posts:  27
Joined  09-06-2013

Now that all of apple’s future iOS products are going lightning, is there any immediate plan to release a updated iUX with lightning (say, for NAMM ‘14)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2013 @ 01:57 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Now that all of apple’s future iOS products are going lightning

you promise? :-) or do you mean until they change it again. They seem to sell more $29.99 adapters and seem to think its the way their customers LIKE IT.

Get it writing and I’ll see what I can do… Ha, ha!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2013 @ 02:13 PM
Dreamchilde
Total Posts:  27
Joined  09-06-2013
Bad_Mister - 30 October 2013 01:57 PM

Now that all of apple’s future iOS products are going lightning

you promise? :-) or do you mean until they change it again. They seem to sell more $29.99 adapters and seem to think its the way their customers LIKE IT.

Get it writing and I’ll see what I can do… Ha, ha!

Gee, one would think Yamaha might want to simply make their interface with the proper plug and maybe charge $29.99 more for that; seeing as Apple’s current line of products no longer support 30-pin adapters.

One would think on a Yamaha supported forum, that moderators would be a little more objective in their answers. That was one big, snarky non-answer.

I haven’t been on here for long, but it seems most people who ask questions on here get served for either their lack of experience or their lack of ability to express themselves properly with their questions. Makes it really hard to feel comfortable talking about anything on here.

Phil, you clearly have more knowledge than all of us when it comes to Yamaha and its products. I don’t think it’s really necessary to make us customers feel stupid or ashamed for asking questions or making suggestions on future updates to Yamaha’s line of products. We amateurs may even actually surprise you with a good idea.

I guess I’ll have to get stuff in writing before I ask any more questions on here. Guess I’ll go back to lurking now.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 02, 2013 @ 02:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Not being snarky, perhaps I’m just a little frustrated, and I simply expressed what I hear from many, many, many musicians… And it’s very hard for companies that make musical instruments, to have to jump through the hoops just to connect up. I apologize if you think the barb was aimed at you, personally, it was not. It’s just the observation from the musician in me. And knowing the same week the iUX1 was released, the “standard” connector changed.

Making the only solution an adapter which you have to buy from the computer company. Musical instrument companies need to keep on making instruments, instead of retooling to make cables and adapters, is all. Besides I did say I’d see what I can do.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 06:08 AM
Mauro
Total Posts:  35
Joined  01-19-2010

Hey Guys,

I just bought a Apple Ipad Mini Retina with Lightning… I want to use it with midi and found this:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/music-production/accessories/usb-midi/i-mx1/7613/7532

So I bought 2 things:
1. Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter
2. i-MX1

Just tried it and it doesn’t work like faq yamaha says. I get the message:
this accessory is not supported by this product

Does anybody has a solution?

Image Attachments
IMAG0988.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 07:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I have the same and it works fine.
What app is reporting this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 07:50 AM
Mauro
Joined  01-19-2010

It’s not the app reporting, it’s the ipad mini. As soon as I connect the cable to the Ipad mini I get the message (translating from dutch to english):
“This accessoire is not supported (incapable) by this product.”

I just went to a nearby shop to get an adapter instead of the cable. Thinking it might help. Now I get another message:
“This cable or accessoire is not certified and possibly doesn’t work well with this Ipad.”

When I startup Yamaha Voice Editor I get the message:
“No MIDI devices installed.”

I allready checked the MIDI settings on the motif:
On your Motif XS/XF:
Is your Motif XS setup to communicate via MIDI?
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
MIDI IN/OUT = MIDI (you are connected via MIDI cables - set this to MIDI)
Set the SEQUENCER CONTROL as the app would require. For example, if you are using the MULTI app, you want SEQUENCER CONTROL = IN so you can start/stop it from the iPAD.
MIDI SYNC should be set to “internal”

Image Attachments
ipad.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 10:37 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

That is correct, go ahead and setup the Voice Editor Essential app, it does not install any device on your iPad mini, the device is “external” it’s the Motif XS. The Yamaha Device is not installed on your iPad mini, the “device” in this case is a real synthesizer (not a picture of one)!

Please, continue your setup. the iPad mini is not lying to you there is no device installed in this case.
Make sure the MIDI IN is connected to the MIDI OUT and vice versa.

Go to the setup Gear in the app
Select CABLE

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2013 @ 11:08 AM
Mauro
Joined  01-19-2010

I allready tried the voice editor app. The setup is right, the connection MIDI IN to MIDI OUT etc, is right. When I try to receive I get a time out error. I have the feeling something is wrong with the connection between the ipad and the I-MX1…

Bad Mister, do you have a Lightning to 30pin cable or adapter? Maybe with a cable like on my picture it doesnt work and I think the shop owner sold me not a real (certified) apple adapter but some kind of imitation. I’m going to an apple store tomorrow to buy a Lightning to 30pin adapter (a real apple one this time) maybe that helps. Don’t have any more ideas… :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2013 @ 10:02 AM
Mauro
Joined  01-19-2010

Finally I succeeded :D :D :D....

Clue of the story: Use an original lightning to 30pin adapter (no cable)… I opened a new topic with another question about MIDI and Master mode…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Smart Media Card Question
Next Topic:

MOX 6 Voice Library ››