mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOX6 & Sonar x1 - Basics for Newbie"

Posted on: May 30, 2012 @ 12:20 PM
WesleyM
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-29-2012

Hi there,

I’m a bit of a novice so please scorn not my simplicity. 

I’ve recently purchased a MOX 6 and am trying to hook it up to Sonar X1 on Windows 7 64bit.  Not sure what I’m doing wrong.  I’ve had a look where I can on this site and others but can’t seem to see a good basic guide for hooking up to Sonar x1.  I did see a thread for setting up MOX 6 with computer and have tried to follow that and the manual.

I’m using the USB connection.  I’m thinking I can’t be far away considering I can hear Sonar playback through the MOX 6 but can’t get any sound to register from the MOX 6 going to Sonar...not a squeak.

I had previously used a basic keyboard as a master with Sonar and after initial set-up had no problems.  Can’t even get to that stage with the MOX6.  Any ideas where I might be going wrong.  Please bear in mind it could be something basic ;-).

Thank you very much in advance for any help given.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2012 @ 09:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Welcome to the forums!

As you may know, we cannot do Sonar support here, but we assume you have the manual and documentation for the program. Setup is going to be pretty much the same for all professional DAWs. Here is what you need to know:

The MOX will connect to your computer via a single USB cable. Since you are already having some success we can assume you have the proper driver for your computer’s Operating System. The driver is the “Yamaha Steinberg USB driver” - and in spite of the name, it works for all professional DAW software, including Sonar.

This driver will need to be selected in the appropriate places for both MIDI and AUDIO communication with the MOX. So when you are doing setup within Sonar for both MIDI and audio functions you will want to select the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver as the driver.

As an audio driver it will be selected as the ASIO driver.
For MIDI functions you will see the MOX has multiple MIDI ports.
PORT 1 is MIDI for the MOX itself
PORT 2 is MIDI communication between the MOX REMOTE CONTROL mode and your DAW (Sonar) you will want to ensure that your Sonar Control Surface setup uses just Port 2.
PORT 3 is MIDI communication between one external device connected via standard 5-pin MIDI cables (you can connect an external MIDI keyboard or module to/from the IN/OUT ports - and it will show up in Sonar as port 3)
PORT 4 is MIDI communication between the MOX Editor and the MOX
PORT 5 is MIDI communication between the MOX REMOTE EDITOR and the MOX

In the MOX
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF5] REMOTE
Set the DAW TYPE = SONAR
Press [F6] MIDI
Press [SF4] OTHER
Make sure MIDI IN/OUT = USB
Press [STORE] to update your UTILITY mode preferences.

How Audio is traveling
When you first play your MOX it is able to send audio (digitally) to your computer via the USB cable on either USB 1/2 or USB 3/4 (or both)

USB 1/2 = a Stereo pair of outputs
USB 3/4 = a second Stereo pair of outputs.

By default when set to 4CH (4 Channel) mode, all the MOX internal synth PARTS are assigned to USB 3/4. The A/D INPUT is assigned to USB 1/2

So the first thing you may want to do in your DAW (Sonar) is create two sets of audio INPUTS. One set to receive signal via USB 1/2 and a second set to receive signal via USB 3/4.

You can reroute internal PARTS to either USB1/2 or USB 3/4.
Your A/D INPUT will always travel via USB 1/2

All audio returning to the MOX from your DAW will pass through the DAW LEVEL slider on the front panel of the MOX. This must be raised in order to hear audio coming from Sonar. In order to get sound going to Sonar you must setup the AUDIO Routing in Sonar.

Setup two pairs of inputs - and remember the default condition is that the keyboard PARTS are routed through USB 3/4

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2012 @ 12:06 PM
WesleyM
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-29-2012

Okay thanks Bad Mister.

I will try to follow what you’ve said as closely as I can.  I have a feeling my ports are not set up right which could well be the problem.

I’ll report back soon.

Thanks again.

W

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sync via MIDI between MOTIF XS and Sonar X1
Next Topic:

recording arpeggios in sonar 8 ››