mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha P-85 Sustain pedal assign to Motif Rack organ rotary speed"

Posted on: July 16, 2011 @ 11:00 AM
Salnmark
Total Posts:  7
Joined  07-14-2011

Hi all,

Whilst I am waiting for someone to answer my other question about octave unison. I have spent all day trying to figure out how to turn the sustain pedal into an organ rotary speed controller on all the organ voices on the motif rack. (Pedal down speaker spins up, pedal up speaker spins down).
(I have read the other posts but none work for me)

I would have thought this would be default for all organ sounds but when I press the pedal I get organ sustain (who wants sustain on an organ?)
I use garage band for backing tracks at home and all the organ sounds on there uses the sustain pedal for speaker spin, so why not the motif?

I am using the sustain pedal connected to a Yamaha P-85 connected to a Motif Rack (original) direct via midi. I want to use this for live performances.

Any help would be appreciated

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2011 @ 12:57 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

A sustain pedal connected to the P85 Sustain pedal jack sends only the sustain message (cc064) so when you use that pedal you will always send the MIDI command that tells the receiving device to sustain. Always.

Unfortunately, your P85 does not allow you to send any other type of controller message to the Motif-Rack. The Motif-Rack organ rotary speaker Speed Control default to the Modulation Wheel. As you know your P85 does not have a Modulation Wheel (cc001), nor does it have the facility to send this type of command.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2011 @ 02:20 PM
Salnmark
Joined  07-14-2011

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will need a pedal that is programmable and/or can send mod wheel cc001 midi to it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2011 @ 02:06 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Maybe I was not clear: You need a controller keyboard that allows you to send the type of messages required to control your Motif-Rack. There is no pedal that you can connect to your P85 that will offer you a solution to this dilemma… sorry. No good news for you here. The P85 is a great sounding (bare bones) piano. It is not a fully implemented Master Controller Keyboard (it has no mod wheel, it has no pitch bend wheel, it has no assignable controllers). No pedal that you connect to the P85 will change that… period. Sorry.

The Yamaha piano model (up from the P85) that offers this type of control is called the Yamaha CP33

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 03, 2011 @ 05:11 AM
Salnmark
Joined  07-14-2011

Hi, yes I did understand what you said, just didn’t say it right.
I am getting a CME GPP3 pedal unit. One pedal is fully programmable so I can assign the mod wheel message to it and use a midi merge to connect it with the P85 midi output to the midi in on the Motif.

This way the P85 will only output midi notes and the pedal sends the effect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2011 @ 10:07 AM
Salnmark
Joined  07-14-2011

I have sorted the problem by using my Roland D10 and wiring a jack socket to the Mod wheel, not when I play any organ sounds the sustain pedal (plugged into the mod wheel jack) starts the rotary speaker effect.

[ Ignore ]