mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Loading multiple libraries"

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 02:35 AM
bsantti
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-04-2013

Hello again!

I’m having trouble loading multiple things into the motif XF and really need help, as I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong here.
I have watched the Fully Loaded video and followed it step by step.
The files I am loading are the Ksounds Organimation and the Chick Corea Mark V collection, so far. When I load them separately, everything is just fine. As soon as I try to load the second one, for some reason it erases the other one. I’ve gone round and round, and tried every which way I can think of. Cleared the flash drive and did factory reset now several times. Watched the video over and over. For example, here is where I started: Inserted my USB stick with the files on it. Following the instructions of the video I select the file - Chick’s MarkV DCPv3.n2.X3A
Going through the steps I end up with - Type: All
Load USR: FL1
FL1: FL1
FL2: FL2
I go back up and highlight file name again and hit SF2.
It loads and everything is sweet. Samples are on flashboard and sounds are on User Bank 4. I then go back to the USB and highlight file - OrganimationMotifXF.n3.X3A
This time I end up with - Type: All
Load USR: USR
FL1: FL1
FL2: FL2
Hit SF2 and it loads to User Bank 2. The Organimation is now where it should be and sounds great, except for one thing - The chick Corea collection is no longer there on User Bank 4, or anywhere else for that matter. Samples are all still on FL1 though. Like I said, I’ve experimented trying different things, but nothing has worked. I don’t know what I’m not catching on the video. I’m going out of my mind at this point. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 04:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

First thing I wish to tell you is that this is doable.

The word you are missing is “ALL” - when you select the File Load TYPE = “ALL” it literally means that you will overwrite all USER locations and data currently in your Motif XF.

This is why when doing this each library plays properly. But what you want to do is COMBINE aspects of each Library and have them co-exist in the XF simultaneous. So your mistake was simple, you cannot use ALL to load portions of a file.

The information you need is: from within an ALL data file (.X3A) you can extract individual data that you need. So you can open and explore the data inside of that ALL data file.

If set the load TYPE, for example, to:
VOICE - you can open the file and explore what data is contained in the five folders of Voices in an All data file: [USER 1], [USER 2], [USER 3], [USER 4], and [USER Drum]
PERFORMANCE - you can open the file and explore what data is in the four folders of Performances in an All data file.
SONG - you can open and view the Individual Song titles
PATTERN - select the individual pattern titles
And so on…
There are also options to load a full bank of 128 normal Voices or 32 drum kits, “1BANK VOICE” and “1BANK PERFORMANCE”, which allow you to load groups of programs.

This is not that tricky ... The tricky part comes next. When you set your LOAD OPTION, that is the setting in the lower right corner of the FILE screen, you must know certain information about the data you are loading, and the data that is already installed on your instrument.

It is very easy too duplicate data in your Waveform List if you are not aware of these LOAD Option settings. This can lead to frustration but more importantly it can waste memory.

These LOAD OPTIONs are important because you are directing data from the File to YOUR instrument.

Here comes the tie in: if you use the File TYPE = ALL you will be making your XF exactly as the author of the file had their XF. This is not what you want. you want to customize YOUR XF with your favorite data.

Make sense?

Following what you did… Here is how to restore the USER 4 Chick Corea Voices…

Press [FILE]
Set TYPE = voice
Move the cursor up into the DIRECTORY and highlight the ChickCorea mark V data
Press [ENTER] the file will “open” and reveal lists of data
Press [USER 4] to view a list of Voices in the file’s user 4 folder
Highlight the first Voice, using the RIGHT CURSOR [>] arrow to move to the lower portion of the screen.

Here you will target the internal USR 4 location you wish to place this Voice data.
Move the cursor over to the LOAD Options.

The Chick Corea data is .n2.X3A file, which says the data was originally housed up in the author’s FL1 slot. So this means you need to know and be concerned about where you direct FL1.

You need to set the three options… The source file is on the left, the target XF (your XF) is on the right:

USR > USR… There is no User sample data in the author’s SDRAM so you can leave this as is
FL1 > ???… Here you must decide whether to send the files data to your FL BOARDS and what to send
FL2 > NONE… The file has no FL2 data (that’s what .n2 means: No data for slot 2), no changes to FL2

So let’s look at the options you have you have for the data in the “CHICK’s MARK V.n2.X3A” file

FL1 > USR
FL1 > FL1
FL1 > FL1 without sample
FL1 > FL2
FL1 > FL2 without sample
FL1 > NONE

USR - nope, the 400 MB of chick’s Rhodes will never fit in the 128MB of SDRAM (you will get an error)
FL1 - if the Chick Corea Waveforms do not appear on the UTILITY > [F6] FLASH > FL1 Waveform list, you can restore both the Waveform and samples with this option.
FL1 without sample - use when you know the Sample data is already installed on the board but the name of the Waveform does not appear on the Waveform List
FL2 - use when you want to target a board in slot 2 rather than as the author did
FL2 without Sample
NONE - when the samples are already installed on the Flash and the Waveform name is found on the Waveform List…

In your case, since you already installed the Chick Corea Mark V data on your Flash Board, and since when you go to [UTILITY] > [F6] FLASH and you select FL1, you see the waveforms for the Chick Corea data… They should be listed in the first five Waveform slots.

If so, then you only need to load the Voice data, with “FL1 > NONE” - because the Waveform is on the list, the Samples are already on the Flash Board… Each Voice will take a second to load.

Simply load one at a time the sixteen Voices, the XF will automatically find the Waveforms because you are loading the data from the same source file. And although loading an ALL data file overwrote the Voice parameters, it did NOT overwrite the Waveform and Sample data.

By loading the Individual Voice, and specifying NO changes to the Flash Board, we are simply reuniting the User Voice with the a Waveforms that collect the Rhodes samples. There are five Waveform that collect the hundreds of Rhodes samples into something playable.

Now that you have data from both Libraries assembled in your Motif XF, it is imperative that you make a new ALL data file that is a complete backup archive of this work. This new ALL DATA file should be SAVED “With Sample” and will become YOUR new resource for your customized XF library.

The “NONE” option is very important. It means “number of changes made to your Waveform List and the Samples installed on the Flash Board = None”

If you do not want to add something, None is the setting.

Remember this other important fact. The USR sample memory, that’s the 128MB SDRAM, is always automatically saved, if there are any samples there. Leaving it set to USR > USR is always fine unless you have reason to send the data elsewhere.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 05:39 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Bad_Mister - 09 November 2013 04:43 AM

There are also options to load a full bank of 128 normal Voices or 32 drum kits, “1BANK VOICE” and “1BANK PERFORMANCE”, which allow you to load groups of programs.

Bad_Mister deals with so many of the Motifs that he likely was thinking of another model. The XF doesn’t have the “1BANK PERFORMANCE” load option. If there’s a need to load an entire Bank of Performances, the Performance number can be set to “all”, which is found just beyond “128”.

Bad_Mister -

Simply load one at a time the sixteen Voices, the XF will automatically find the Waveforms because you are loading the data from the same source file. And although loading an ALL data file overwrote the Voice parameters, it did NOT overwrite the Waveform and Sample data.

By loading the Individual Voice, and specifying NO changes to the Flash Board, we are simply reuniting the User Voice with the a Waveforms that collect the Rhodes samples. There are five Waveform that collect the hundreds of Rhodes samples into something playable.

Bad_Mister, could 1BankVoice be used instead of individually loading the 16 Chick’s Voices, and still reunite the Voices and Waveforms? (The Chick’s file includes the factory Voices in USER 4 from Voice B01/017 onward.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 11:54 AM
bsantti
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-04-2013

Bad_Mister,

Glad to know this is doable. Thank you so much for the help. I will try the things you laid out. The questions I still have regarding all this:
Right now I am starting from scratch - Clean flash board, etc.

1) Which file would be better to load first - The Organimation, Chick file, or does it matter?

2) When I go to load the second file, do I just follow the same steps outlined here at the start(Probably a dumb question), or should I load it the way I did originally and then recover from there?

Am I making too much out of all this?
I get the feeling I am.

5pinDIN,

When I was experimenting with trying to recover myself, I actually tried 1BankVoice. It didn’t work, though I admit - It’s very more than likely I did something wrong in the process.

The good part is that through all of this experimentation, I was thinking to myself that the “Type: All” might somehow be causing me trouble. I was at least thinking in the right direction I guess, even though I was walking blind.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to help me out.
I greatly appreciate it. I will get this before too long.
One little wrong turn and you’re lost. You know what they say - “A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing”. I’ll do my best and try to not let myself get in the way. Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2013 @ 12:56 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
bsantti - 09 November 2013 11:54 AM

5pinDIN,

When I was experimenting with trying to recover myself, I actually tried 1BankVoice. It didn’t work, though I admit - It’s very more than likely I did something wrong in the process.

Of course I don’t know what you did, but a mistake that’s common is to not select the source and destination banks properly. That is, you have to choose both which bank in the file you want to load, and where you want to load it. Getting either incorrect could definitely result in lack of success.

If you happen to have some of your own Voices in USER 4 beginning at B01/017 and beyond, then loading the 16 Chick’s Voices individually would avoid overwriting any of them.

[ Ignore ]