mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS Editor questions."

Posted on: February 26, 2021 @ 08:42 PM
PeteParsons
Total Posts:  144
Joined  08-21-2020

I have made quite a few files of voices in the XS editor. Many I converted from what I had in the ES editor. I’ve run into a little problem.

There are a couple of user piano voices on my XS that I needed to add +3 to the decay. They are voices from the original motif. I had to load them with samples on my ES and XS. Natural Grand and Power Grand. I edited them on the XS and saved them to a usb and the editor.

Because I had already saved the file to the editor before my decay edit, I figured I would go into the editor and make the edit in the editor itself rather than transmitting the voice bank again into the editor and saving the updated file.

Trouble is, when I called up those 2 pianos and made the decay edit, and then saved the edited voices in an overwrite of the same file, when I reopened that file, the edits did not take.

I’m guessing there is a procedure I’m missing to store the voice edits first before saving the edited voices back into the file. I’ve searched for a store option on the editor but the only thing I’ve found was the save or save as file which as I said does not capture the edits.

Here’s another question. When you have a voice edit entered, must it be stored immediately for that voice or can you go to the next voice and edit before storing the edits on more than one voice within the same file. Again, I’m assuming there is a store function before saving the updated file. I just can’t find it.

I can just transmit the whole edited file again from the XS, but I’m sure it can be edited in the editor without going through that extra step.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2021 @ 11:33 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 26 February 2021 08:42 PM

I have made quite a few files of voices in the XS editor. Many I converted from what I had in the ES editor. I’ve run into a little problem.

There are a couple of user piano voices on my XS that I needed to add +3 to the decay. They are voices from the original motif. I had to load them with samples on my ES and XS. Natural Grand and Power Grand. I edited them on the XS and saved them to a usb and the editor.

Because I had already saved the file to the editor before my decay edit, I figured I would go into the editor and make the edit in the editor itself rather than transmitting the voice bank again into the editor and saving the updated file.

Trouble is, when I called up those 2 pianos and made the decay edit, and then saved the edited voices in an overwrite of the same file, when I reopened that file, the edits did not take.

I can’t duplicate what you’re experiencing. With the Editor in VOICE mode, I OPENed a .X0E file, edited a Voice Parameter (I chose Element 2, Decay 1, and changed it from 64 to 127 to make it obvious), and SAVEd the file (overwrote the original). I then selected NEW to clear the Editor. I OPENed the file again and verified that the edit I had made was there. I edited that Parameter again (set it to 0 this time), and SAVEd it again. OPENing the file showed the change to 0.

All of that was done with the the Editor OFFLINE - the XS wasn’t even connected.

PeteParsons -

I’m guessing there is a procedure I’m missing to store the voice edits first before saving the edited voices back into the file. I’ve searched for a store option on the editor but the only thing I’ve found was the save or save as file which as I said does not capture the edits.

Here’s another question. When you have a voice edit entered, must it be stored immediately for that voice or can you go to the next voice and edit before storing the edits on more than one voice within the same file. Again, I’m assuming there is a store function before saving the updated file. I just can’t find it.

I can just transmit the whole edited file again from the XS, but I’m sure it can be edited in the editor without going through that extra step.

Based on the above, I presumed you’re using the Editor in SONG mode. I therefore tried editing Parameters in several different Parts(Voices), and SAVEd a file. No problem - all the edits I made were there when I OPENed the file again. I didn’t STORE anything. Again, XS not connected, Editor OFFLINE.

I’m running Editor version 1.6.4 for PC on Windows XP Pro SP3.

I don’t have much to suggest. Make sure you have the most recent version of the Editor that’s appropriate for your computer.

Sometimes a computer can be set up to not overwrite files, and it will save a similarly named but numerically incremented version of the file. Rather than choosing “SAVE”, try SAVE AS, give the file a new name, and see if that file has the edits intact.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2021 @ 02:54 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I need to check my version. How would I do that? If I need the upgrade, where would I find it?

I’m going to try again. I’m not sure if I was online with the XS or not.

I am pretty sure I was in voice mode, but definitely worth trying again to make sure.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2021 @ 06:04 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Tell me if you can see if I’m doing something wrong.

Open file to specify library and choose user bank 2 from library page.

Click voice 2 Power Grand which now appears in V section on left side of screen.

I have to hit ok or X to close library page so FILE illuminates at top left blue bar.

With Power Grand chosen, I change decay.

Go to FILE at top left, choose save. I also tried save as...confirm file and save as.

Go back to file and open same file. Initially my decay change shows up because Power Grand is still in the V slot on left.

At this point I thought it worked, however when I opened the library and chose another voice, then went back to Power Grand, the decay change was not there.

I tried opening a different library. Then re opening the library containing Power Bank which I saved. Decay change didn’t take.

In the editor I was offline and in the voice mode.

Have I missed something?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2021 @ 09:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Thanks for the details, now we can resolve the problem…

PeteParsons - 27 February 2021 06:04 PM

Tell me if you can see if I’m doing something wrong.

Open file to specify library and choose user bank 2 from library page.

Click voice 2 Power Grand which now appears in V section on left side of screen.

I have to hit ok or X to close library page so FILE illuminates at top left blue bar.

With Power Grand chosen, I change decay.

Go to FILE at top left, choose save. I also tried save as...confirm file and save as.

Go back to file and open same file. Initially my decay change shows up because Power Grand is still in the V slot on left.

Yes, when the file opens again the last edited Voice gets its Parameters reloaded, and the Decay change is shown. That’s as far as I went, which is why I couldn’t confirm what you were having trouble with. However…

PeteParsons -

At this point I thought it worked, however when I opened the library and chose another voice, then went back to Power Grand, the decay change was not there.

I tried opening a different library. Then re opening the library containing Power Bank which I saved. Decay change didn’t take.

In the editor I was offline and in the voice mode.

Have I missed something?

Now I understand - I verified that selecting a new Voice and then going back to the edited one didn’t retain the edit. Easily fixed…

Once you’ve edited the Voice, click the “Edit” menu, then “Store Voice...” By default the Editor should give you the option of storing to the original User bank location, but you can move it elsewhere if you want to. Once it’s stored, saving the file will retain the edited version of the Voice.

By the way, if when selecting a Voice from the library window you double-click it, you won’t have to “X” out to close the window.

Oh, clicking on “Help”, “About” will display a screen with the version number.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 12:54 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Cool. Gotta try it. I had a feeling “store” had to be in there somewhere.

Will check version as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 01:08 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

It’s version 1.3.0

The one thing I’m not clear on is when storing the edit, I don’t see how I can store it elsewhere in say another file or were you referring to store it elsewhere in the same file?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 01:12 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Also on the auto sync page, I get global and voice but I’m not sure what current is for. Current voice or song depending what mode you are in?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 01:20 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Actually I just tried to store in another location within the same file by drag and drop, but it doesn’t work. How can you store the voice in another location in the file or another file?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 06:16 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 28 February 2021 01:08 AM

It’s version 1.3.0

The most recent XS Firmware and Software is here:
https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/index.html?c=music_production&k=Motif+XS

PeteParsons - 28 February 2021 01:12 AM

Also on the auto sync page, I get global and voice but I’m not sure what current is for. Current voice or song depending what mode you are in?

Yes.

When ONLINE, if you’re using the Editor to just work with a single Voice that’s currently on the XS, turning on Current sync and turning off sync for Global and Voice really speeds up the synchronization.

PeteParsons - 28 February 2021 01:20 AM

Actually I just tried to store in another location within the same file by drag and drop, but it doesn’t work. How can you store the voice in another location in the file or another file?

When the Library window for the Voice Store function opens, the original location for the Voice is highlighted. To Store to another location in the same file, click on it, then click on “Store”. That will overwrite what was previously at that location. The original version of the edited Voice will remain.

If you want to move an edited Voice to another file, then work ONLINE, with Current sync on. The edited Voice will be in the XS. Open the file where you want to place the Voice, and Store/Save as desired.

All I’m describing is based on Editor version 1.6.4 - I don’t use 1.3.0 - it may act differently.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 11:50 AM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Thanks for the info. After looking at the newer versions for the editor, I’m surprised you are using 1.6.4 . From what I just read, it looks like system requirements do not include XP which both you and I use. I was going to go with 1.4.0 for that reason.

It seems most of the fixes have to do with using cubase which I don’t use although there are one or two fixes that are not associated with cubase on 1.4.0 .

Do you use cubase?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 12:59 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
PeteParsons - 28 February 2021 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info.

You’re welcome.

PeteParsons -

After looking at the newer versions for the editor, I’m surprised you are using 1.6.4 . From what I just read, it looks like system requirements do not include XP which both you and I use. I was going to go with 1.4.0 for that reason.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I’m running Editor version 1.6.4 for PC on Windows XP Pro SP3. I’ve found that Yamaha sometimes provides inaccurate system requirements for their software. If your XP version is the same as mine (including Service Pack 3), then I can’t see a reason why 1.6.4 wouldn’t run on your computer.

If you’re not sure about the XP installation, click Start, Control Panel, System.

PeteParsons -

It seems most of the fixes have to do with using cubase which I don’t use although there are one or two fixes that are not associated with cubase on 1.4.0 .

Do you use cubase?

I don’t currently use Cubase, or any other DAW for that matter. The XF itself and other software serve my current needs.

I’ve found that Yamaha often doesn’t sufficiently detail what changes are made from one version to another of the software. I try to run the most recent versions when they’re compatible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 06:23 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

I’ll check my XP.

I’m like you. I’m satisfied with the XS as a standalone and use the AW1600 to make CD’s and to record vocals. I’ve been tempted to try computer software for recording, but I’m not sure I want to spend the time learning it. I like the fact you can see graphs of your signal to help determine modifications to be made. I also like the many plug ins available and the detail that can be achieved.

Being old school, my ears are my main tool as opposed to being able to visually see what’s going on in computer programs.

Also being old in age, I don’t know I want to spend the time or have the patience to get into computer software. 15 years ago I stayed away from it because of all the issues I read about. Latency, crashes and incompatibility issues using software programs. I’m sure it has greatly improved over the last 15 years, but while I’m tempted, I’m also cautious. I was just looking at Steinberg 11 elements on Sweetwater for $99. However, looking at some comments like there is a learning curve involved, I’m not sure I want to get into it.

I’m at a point with a 10 year layoff on my music, I want to pump out as much music as possible. I have been able to achieve some good mixes. If I really need something to really shine, I can send out my music elsewhere to be mastered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 08:11 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

It appears I have the same XP system as you so I probably can load the latest Editor version as well.

I downloaded it on my tablet. I’m not sure if I can copy it on a usb drive. There is a usb port, but I’m hesitant to try it as I never inserted a usb drive in the tablet before. This tablet acts strangely sometimes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2021 @ 08:18 PM
PeteParsons
Joined  08-21-2020

Actually what I thought was a usb port is not. I can’t make out what the picture is. It does have a mini usb port which is how I charge it. Not sure if that port is exclusive to charging. Besides, I don’t have a mini usb port to a female normal usb cable to see if I can read a usb drive.

[ Ignore ]