mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to Remember What’s in MOXF Memory Banks"

Posted on: July 05, 2020 @ 06:53 PM
tuna
Total Posts:  13
Joined  12-30-2019

Motifator Post

I’ve only been using the MOXF for a little over 6 months & have found it frequently frustrating.

Part of the problem is that I had absolutely no background in synths. Another part of the problem is the abysmal design of the interface (the buttons, screen & nomenclature make for a distinctly unfriendly user experience). Sub par documentation & lack of video tutorials from Yamaha top it all off.

However, thanks to dogged persistence & Bad Misters great videos, forum posts & articles, I’ve made a ton of progress. Other contributors have helped as well & I’m glad I stuck with it because it really is a great sounding board (interface issues aside).

One of the things I had a mental block about has been, well, memory blocks on the MOXF.

Trying to use the Data List is difficult when you’re unfamiliar with the MOXF. Discovering sounds is easy enough by using category searches but remembering what I discovered & where I found it & how to put it somewhere that I’ll be able to get to it again when I want has been a problem was a problem.

I needed a quick reference so I made a relatively simple spreadsheet which lays out the memory locations & categories of voices. As I did this, I played every key for every voice. This proved to be a huge eye opener as to the sound capabilities of this board.

The spreadsheet I’ve attached has helped me to quickly find what I need when composing & jamming with friends. More importantly, it helps me to be able to confidently reproduce the same sounds again.

I hope someone else here finds it useful.

The sheet includes tabs for the following:

1. Pre with the basic voice categories
2. User 1 (customize it with your own setup)
3. User 2 (customize it with your own setup)
4. User 3 (customize it with your own setup)
5. PDR
6. UDR (customize with your drums & percussion)
7. GM
8. GMDR

I made on a Mac with Numbers & have exported it to Excel format for PC users. Not sure how it’ll look in Excel.

I’ll make another reference sheet for Performances & Masters soon.

I now have a good understanding of how to use the Voice, Performance, Pattern & Song modes but haven’t tackled Master mode yet. I’ll be looking at that soon & it will probably address some of the problems I’ve been having.

I started using Ableton Live 10 Lite a little over a month ago & switched to Logic Pro X about a week ago after watching some videos on YouTube. I absolutely love Logic & will probably never use the sequencer on the MOXF again, except to store voices on tracks for quick recall with a foot switch increment (wish this thing would accommodate 2 Boss FS-5U switches so I could go up & down).

To end a long winded newb post, the MOXF has grown on me. I love the sounds & really love the key bed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2020 @ 06:56 PM
tuna
Joined  12-30-2019

The sheets wouldn’t upload.
Admin, if you want to see them, let me know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 05, 2020 @ 07:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tuna - 05 July 2020 06:56 PM

The sheets wouldn’t upload.
Admin, if you want to see them, let me know.

Zip them first.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2020 @ 12:34 PM
tuna
Joined  12-30-2019

Thanks for the zip tip.

2 files are included in this.

One is the sheet in Numbers format & the other is the same sheet in Excel.

The process of making this sheet actually made a light bulb go on in my head & I can now easily navigate through the banks using the increment / decrement buttons & the A-H / 1-16 buttons.

I have no excuse for not understanding how to do this other than my own dimness.

File Attachments
MOXF Voice Banks.zip  (File Size: 199KB - Downloads: 350)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 03, 2021 @ 11:32 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I’m perusing your Voice Banks spreadsheet and the section for Preset Drums is listing things that aren’t Drums and it seems to be missing the Power Standard 1 & 2, Hyper Standard, Dry Standard, Modern, Rock Stereo kits that are at the top of the Preset List.

Am I not reading or displaying the Excel file correctly? I’m not using Word, but Open Office which usually mimics Word pretty well. If this was something you have since fixed I’d like to download the latest Zip file.

A question: Are you familiar with the Melas software suite and does his Total Librarian offer essentially the same lists and breakdowns? I ask because I just purchased the whole Melas package, but have yet to get it set-up.

[ Ignore ]