mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Thinking about a Mac and ProTools"

Posted on: February 10, 2014 @ 08:10 PM
Joshy
Total Posts:  1823
Joined  08-05-2007

Hi everyone. I’m seriously considering getting a Mac laptop and ProTools. I want to be able to record at least 16 tracks at once with a USB or FireWire mixer and run a softsynth every once in a while. The vast majority of the sounds I record will either be coming from my bandmates or from my Motif XF and/or my Tyros2. What type of Mac do I need to get, and what price range would I be looking at?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2014 @ 10:14 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

Joshy, my advice is to post this on the XF Forum page.  This page is just not going to get the attention your question deserves.

There are a lot of folks that visit the XF page often who are using the gear/software you are interested in.

I would also consider posting on the Recording Forum page.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2014 @ 07:00 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
Joshy - 10 February 2014 08:10 PM

Hi everyone. I’m seriously considering getting a Mac laptop and ProTools. I want to be able to record at least 16 tracks at once with a USB or FireWire mixer and run a softsynth every once in a while. The vast majority of the sounds I record will either be coming from my bandmates or from my Motif XF and/or my Tyros2. What type of Mac do I need to get, and what price range would I be looking at?

Not sure why you posted in Freebie,

AVID list all the macs that are qualified for use with Pro Tools HERE

That’s most of the Apple range from about the last 5 years including Mac Mini and Macbook Pro.  So, as always with computers, buy the best spec you can afford.

Here’s the System requirements too!

I’m presuming you are talking about the domestic version of Pro Tools, unless you intend spending many thousands on a professional HDX system!

You will find any qualified Mac can run the domestic version and the main thing about the domestic version of Pro Tools (which is just called Pro Tools 11 currently) is that data is processed on your computer’s CPU (unlike HDX where additional dsp cards and hardware are needed) There are also differences in the software, but the domestic version is no slouch.  You get a very useable and powerful version of Pro Tools for your money, nevertheless.

You will be able to run various soft synths on numerous instrument tracks and you can run a maximum of 96 simultaneous audio tracks as well.

You will need to find a suitable audio interface from a choice of possibly hundreds since AVID no longer lock you in to using ONLY AVID hardware.  They still make good interfaces too, but you now have a very wide choice from pretty much every reputable manufacturer around.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Connecting Garageband to Motif 8 - Help
Next Topic:

Edimax EW-7711UAn For Sale... ››