mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Export to 5.1 Surround."

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 01:37 PM
craigers01
Total Posts:  21
Joined  07-25-2012

I have a Motif XF8 with the fw16e, and the included Cubase AI 5. I am interested in creating a 5.1 Mix of my music. Is this possible with my set up? I do not understand the internals of how things work.

Is the fw16e capable of doing this?

Is Cubase AI5 capable?

p.s. I am not looking for “playback” from my computer. Once mixed in 5.1, I want to listen in my Home Theater.

Thanks in advance,
Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 08, 2012 @ 04:50 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I have a Motif XF8 with the fw16e, and the included Cubase AI 5. I am interested in creating a 5.1 Mix of my music. Is this possible with my set up? I do not understand the internals of how things work.

Is the fw16e capable of doing this?

Is Cubase AI5 capable?

The FW16E is an audio interface which will allow you to record your music to your computer. It does not enough analog outputs to feed the six speakers you need to connect. You would need an I/O device like one of the Steinberg MR816 units.

Surround is about mixing and would require the top of the version of Cubase, currently that is Cubase 6.5. So, no, the free version of Cubase AI5 is not capable of surround busing.

This subject is far beyond the scope of this forum, we recommend you attend a Club Cubase seminar in your area to get a full understanding of how things work and the investment in gear you will need to make to realize a 5.1 surround system and to do it effectively.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2012 @ 12:23 AM
craigers01
Joined  07-25-2012

You mentioned the fw16e does not have the audio outputs. Could I, with Cubase 6.5 do the mixdown, then playback on another system?

Thanks!
Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2012 @ 09:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You mentioned the fw16e does not have the audio outputs. Could I, with Cubase 6.5 do the mixdown, then playback on another system?

Yes, I sure you can. Typically when using the FW16E it is your audio interface - it has no analog audio outputs, it is the analog audio outputs of the Motif XF that it uses.

Yes, you can record all of your tracks using whatever audio interface you wish, but you will need Cubase 6.5 and to switch to an ASIO driver capable of feeding the six outputs you will need.

You may need to check with Steinberg about the viability of that driver to run 5.1 from Cubase. I don’t know what “another system” means - so I cannot sign off on it by just saying, SURE no problem… the answer is SURE, depending on what that “another system” is… your mileage will vary.

I have no experience using a Home Theatre surround system to mixdown Cubase - contact Steinberg they certainly can advise you on what works and doesn’t in such a situation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 09, 2012 @ 11:24 AM
craigers01
Joined  07-25-2012

I think you answered my question, even though I may not have made myself clear. I was wondering if the fw16e was capable of 5.1 mixdown, even if I could not “hear” the sound while mixing. I was thinking I could play back from my 5.1 system (Home Theater) and make adjustments from Cubase. But then you mentioned the ASIO driver change. Obviously, my Home Theater does not have ASIO drivers. So I would need Cubase 6.5 and another sound card. Given then costs, I think I may do best to farm out the 5.1 mixing to a friend.

Thanks,
Craig

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ FS:PLG - 150 AP board
Next Topic:

PLG150-AP CD-ROM ››