mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "COmputer interference in speakers"

Posted on: July 09, 2009 @ 10:31 PM
msavard
Total Posts:  200
Joined  07-22-2004

I have a setup with my motif XS, 2 krk monitors, a small mixer and a computer. I am getting ‘computer noises’ in my speakers (a buzzing and ‘electronic noises’ when the computer is loading something, etc). Also, when the computer is off, I still get a slight buzzing as if there is interference somewhere. I know it’s not the speakers as I can move them to another part of the house and they are fine. Any way to reduce/eliminate this type of noise? It’s rather annoying.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2009 @ 02:27 PM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Is this being picked up in RECORDINGs, or only audible through the monitors?  How ‘bout if you plug headphones into the mixer? 

I’m assuming the KRKs are plugged into the mixer, not the computer? 

If the PC’s off and you’re still picking up noise, it’s possibly a bad XLR cable; that’s why XLR’s are BALANCED; they’re all but immune to interference.

If the buzz is around 60Hz, you’ve got an electrical issue with the power supplies (perhaps a ground loop)

Have you tried disconnecting one mixer input at a time to see if you can determine which input has the noise?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2009 @ 02:53 PM
msavard
Joined  07-22-2004

It’s not being picked up in recording, just the monitors. I use 1/4” not XLR, and they are not balanced. I don’t know what a 60Hz hum sounds like, but I have heard about it. I did try and move the speaker/mixer to a different part of the house and plug it in, and the noise seemed much more normal ( a little hushed muffled hiss coming out with volume turned up). Maybe it is some electrical issue. I do have a LOT of things plugged into the same two plugs (computer, monitor, 2 printers, mixer, keyboard, speakers, dsl modem, router, and who knows what else) Maybe I should worry more about fire hazards than buzzing in the monitors!

Matt

TonyPhillips - 11 July 2009 02:27 PM

Is this being picked up in RECORDINGs, or only audible through the monitors?  How ‘bout if you plug headphones into the mixer? 

I’m assuming the KRKs are plugged into the mixer, not the computer? 

If the PC’s off and you’re still picking up noise, it’s possibly a bad XLR cable; that’s why XLR’s are BALANCED; they’re all but immune to interference.

If the buzz is around 60Hz, you’ve got an electrical issue with the power supplies (perhaps a ground loop)

Have you tried disconnecting one mixer input at a time to see if you can determine which input has the noise?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2009 @ 12:46 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you are are getting noise in your system related to your computer drive activity this can happen (even in the best of systems) and is typically a form of ground noise. Sometimes hunting down this can be simple and other times it can be a major pain.

The proper way to deal with this is to use a DI box with a hum eliminator circuit on your signal going to your speakers.

These passive devices are able to clean your signal and deal with computers (which are not really designed to be music making devices) and noise that gets into audio systems via USB and other connectors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 22, 2009 @ 01:24 AM
msavard
Joined  07-22-2004

Thanks BM.. I will see if I can borrow a couple from my church first and see if that solves the problem.

Matt

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2009 @ 02:49 AM
annesaturn65
Total Posts:  2
Joined  09-25-2009

I have face that problem before. What did was I use a DI of curse with hum eliminator.

anne
Dossier de surendettement

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Why cant I delete this topic?
Next Topic:

Sonuus G2M ››