mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "memory??"

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 07:34 AM
rdyers
Total Posts:  169
Joined  04-03-2007

What is the right memory to use with ES8??...PC133??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2009 @ 02:45 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

I highly recommend that you see http://motifator.keyfax.com/mart/mainframe_temp.htm the MotifMart for your memory. I assume you mean expansion for your ES.
If you are talking about memory files, I suggest a flash stick.
Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 06:53 AM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

I’m glad the OP posted this. I’m a little confused. Even after having looked in the manual (which BTW does say PC133 will work but it also says it must be ... ah here it is - much easier to copy and paste):

Yamaha recommends that you purchase DIMMs that
conform to the JEDEC* standard. Please be aware,
however, that conformance to this standard does not
constitute a guarantee that the DIMMs will operate correctly
on the MOTIF ES.
* JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) sets standards for
terminal configurations within electronic devices.
• Use only 168-pin DIMMs of 64, 128 or 256 MB capacity
(synchronized DRAM; PC100 or PC133).

Now my question that is on-topic I hope is at MotifMart I see both 512k and 1Gb available for the ES. Can the ES handle more than 512k or did somebody mess up? Pardon the noobness ... Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 07:32 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

The ES can certainly take up to 1Gb of memory for samples, and many users have that amount installed. However, it was generally recommended that 512k was the limit, maybe because 1Gb is a long load time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2009 @ 08:10 AM
midinut
Total Posts:  93
Joined  02-21-2009

Cool, that was quick and helpful. So as I understand it, the advantage to buying my memory from MotifMart (as opposed to some of the “cheaper” memory you see on ebay and such) would be it’s tried, tested and guaranteed to work as opposed to the “you’re on your own” approach. Would that be a correct assumption? Has anybody tried the “cheaper” stuff and had successful results? Not to mention it appears you can add 1G of cheap for less than you’d pay for 512k of “certified”. Just curious before I take the plunge. Thanks again for the help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2009 @ 12:52 PM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

Other folks have certainly used the “cheaper stuff” and it worked for them (do a search of older posts) but if you go that route be sure you can return it to the seller for a full refund if it doesn’t work. Give them the complete specs from the manual. And as mentioned in an earlier post load times with 1 Gig are long and while you can fit more in memory there are still limitations on sample and song length (see the manual).

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2009 @ 09:46 PM
aellison62
Total Posts:  41
Joined  03-23-2009

I have read the posts and answers about the 256mb,512mb, and 1g memory expansions DIMMS available for the ES8. I will be planning on doing this with mine very soon. Can someone explain how the new voices are downloaded onto the expanded memory? I see in the Motifmart several different voice sample packages available for purchase for the ES. Are these the data to put on this expanded memory? Just want to understand the options for my ES8.

Thanks, Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Next Topic:

flash problem ››