mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Screen Malfunction"

Posted on: January 09, 2016 @ 04:31 PM
Boardman
Total Posts:  21
Joined  04-01-2005

I was recently repairing a damaged key on my XF7 and upon swinging the top open, it unlatched from the hinges. It tugged on the screen cabling and the screen does not power on. The keyboard powers up and plays but just nothing shows on the screen.
Examining the cables, I realize that the screen ribbon cable does not attach properly on the keyboard side. I am trying to get it to go on but to no avail. On the screen side,the cable can easily be detached using two tabs. Does anyone know if the same applies to the cable on the keyboard side.

Please note that I am not certain if thats the issue but everything was working fine before the accident.

Thanks for the usual support.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2016 @ 07:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

There are various kinds of connectors used with FFCs (Flat Flexible Cables). Some are ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) - they have release mechanisms to make insertion and removal easy.

Other connectors require more effort. The connector you’re referring to might be a non-ZIF Kyocera/AVX LIF (Low Insertion Force) one. See if it looks like this type…
http://www.kyocera-connector.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/6244.pdf

If so, first make sure that the cable is undamaged. If it looks OK, it should be possible to reinsert it. Verify that the FFC conductors are facing the connector contacts. Keep the cable end parallel to the connector and apply even force.

I hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2016 @ 12:46 AM
Boardman
Joined  04-01-2005

On the screen side, the connector is defintiely a ZIF one. However, on the keyboard side I am not sure what it is. The connector seems to be similiar to the LIF shown.
I have attached a picture for your reference.

Once you confirm, I will attempt disconnecting and reconnecting the cable on the keyboard end.

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2016 @ 12:49 AM
Boardman
Joined  04-01-2005

Link to image on Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQT5x77aiHCN1BVd0Q1RkF6U2c/view?usp=sharing

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2016 @ 04:55 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Boardman - 10 January 2016 12:49 AM

Link to image on Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQT5x77aiHCN1BVd0Q1RkF6U2c/view?usp=sharing

I can’t see anything.

I suggest that you zip the image and attach it to a post here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2016 @ 03:41 PM
Boardman
Joined  04-01-2005

Here it is.

File Attachments
connector.zip  (File Size: 455KB - Downloads: 420)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2016 @ 05:47 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Boardman - 10 January 2016 03:41 PM

Here it is.

Unfortunately, the image isn’t very clear, and doesn’t show much of the connector.

This might be a ZIF type where release is done by pulling up on the outer shell of the connector. By any chance, was a small latch piece broken off on the left side?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2016 @ 01:08 AM
Boardman
Joined  04-01-2005

Another attempt of capturing the connector attached.

Nevertheless, I believe it is a LIF connector on the keyboard side. I was finally able, with a gentle tug, to slip the
connector from its socket. Guess I was a bit scared the first time. However, I still cannot get the screen to power on
after reinserting the cable.

I examined the cable and used the markings to locate a similiar FFC (AWM 20624 80C 60V VW-1). Now I need to get the amount of pins and
length correct as there are various types of cables with these designations.
I counted the pins by zooming in on my camera and got 30 (see attached pic 4.jpg). I look on various websites and saw similiar cables but none
matching the exact pin count and length. The connector pitch also caused finding a match difficult.
[Generally, the cables do not seem so expensive on ebay.]
Any ideas?

Upon further research, I was able to locate the cable (with 95% certainty). The part umber is WJ702200 and is listed on fulcompass as
Yamaha WJ702200 Ribbon Cable for MOTIF XF.

I will attempt to purchase and try it out. Really hope it works!

NB: I live in the Caribbean and getting stuff shipped here may take a while. I will update this post as soon as I try the new cable.

File Attachments
connector2.zip  (File Size: 1644KB - Downloads: 419)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2016 @ 11:17 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, the display FFC is 30 pin, 0.5mm pitch. Plastic stiffeners are needed when other than ZIF connectors are used, so the cables are often made with them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 18, 2016 @ 10:51 PM
Boardman
Joined  04-01-2005

So i replaced the cable...and still no display.

However, I was using my phone light to examine the keyboard closer and realized that I saw information on the display. After a couple of verification steps I realed that the acreen was indeed on but to see anything, you need to shine a bright light directly on it. I was able to select sounds change settings etc. using that method.

Any ideas as to the problem? Is it the backlight, the entire screen, a loose connection? Any help would be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2016 @ 11:40 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Power to the backlight inverter is via a two-conductor cable that may have become disconnected at one end or the other, or other related damage might have occurred. Check at both ends.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2022 @ 10:46 AM
eustazan
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-15-2009
Boardman - 18 February 2016 10:51 PM

So i replaced the cable...and still no display.

However, I was using my phone light to examine the keyboard closer and realized that I saw information on the display. After a couple of verification steps I realed that the acreen was indeed on but to see anything, you need to shine a bright light directly on it. I was able to select sounds change settings etc. using that method.

Any ideas as to the problem? Is it the backlight, the entire screen, a loose connection? Any help would be appreciated.

hey did you get the back light fix, and how did you get the part number for the replacement bulb or the display .I am seeing the info lightly on the display in the center and clear at the far ends right around.thanks in advance .

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ iPad wifi
Next Topic:

No sound when I load voice from usb ››