mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Would it “make sense” to buy a Rack ES after getting an XF?"

Posted on: February 21, 2021 @ 01:59 AM
Xeraser
Total Posts:  38
Joined  01-28-2021

I put the “make sense” in quotes since even I don’t really know what I mean with that. I’m about to get an XF6 on the 27th (unless we get even more travel restrictions) and in the meantime I’ve been listening to a lot of ES demos and whatnot and I quite like a lot of the patches/voices. (it’s kinda sad how there’s almost nothing in terms of thorough demos for the XS/XF in comparison)

From what I’ve gathered the XS/XF only retained about half of the patches/voices from the ES (or maybe the waveforms themselves? I can’t find any definitive info on this) and I was wondering if it’d be possible to port those over to the XF (assuming that the waveforms are still present) or if it’d make more sense to get an actual ES/Rack ES as well (probably the rack since I’m out of space for keyboards)

I know about the plug-in boards and none of them interest me. They’re far too expensive (about the price of a Rack ES itself if not more) and I have no need for them.

Unrelated: I was wondering why the ES’ sequencer can accept almost over double the notes that the XS/XF can. Why did Yamaha decide to downgrade it after the ES? Not that it matters to me, I’ve never even used 1/5th of the original Motif’s 110000 notes limit but I’m still curious.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2021 @ 10:58 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Xeraser - 21 February 2021 01:59 AM

I put the “make sense” in quotes since even I don’t really know what I mean with that. I’m about to get an XF6 on the 27th (unless we get even more travel restrictions) and in the meantime I’ve been listening to a lot of ES demos and whatnot and I quite like a lot of the patches/voices. (it’s kinda sad how there’s almost nothing in terms of thorough demos for the XS/XF in comparison)

From what I’ve gathered the XS/XF only retained about half of the patches/voices from the ES (or maybe the waveforms themselves? I can’t find any definitive info on this) and I was wondering if it’d be possible to port those over to the XF (assuming that the waveforms are still present) or if it’d make more sense to get an actual ES/Rack ES as well (probably the rack since I’m out of space for keyboards)

In my opinion, it wouldn’t “make sense” to add an ES to the XF6. There are several files available at no charge that can turn an XF into a very close (in many cases nearly indistinguishable) approximation of an ES. Post in the XF forum once you get yours, and we can point you to those files.

Xeraser -

Unrelated: I was wondering why the ES’ sequencer can accept almost over double the notes that the XS/XF can. Why did Yamaha decide to downgrade it after the ES? Not that it matters to me, I’ve never even used 1/5th of the original Motif’s 110000 notes limit but I’m still curious.

The sequencer in the ES doesn’t really have a greater note capacity than the XS/XF. Yamaha just stated the XS/XF capacity in a more realistic manner than they did with the ES. You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478786/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2021 @ 10:04 AM
Xeraser
Total Posts:  38
Joined  01-28-2021
5pinDIN - 21 February 2021 10:58 AM
Xeraser - 21 February 2021 01:59 AM

In my opinion, it wouldn’t “make sense” to add an ES to the XF6. There are several files available at no charge that can turn an XF into a very close (in many cases nearly indistinguishable) approximation of an ES. Post in the XF forum once you get yours, and we can point you to those files.

Xeraser -

The sequencer in the ES doesn’t really have a greater note capacity than the XS/XF. Yamaha just stated the XS/XF capacity in a more realistic manner than they did with the ES. You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478786/

I see, thank you. I’ll post in the XF forum once I get mine.

I gave that a read and it’s pretty interesting. It’s kinda weird how they still specify the note count and not just “midi events” in general. But even with all the necessary MIDI events my biggest projects don’t even exceed the 22000 midi event mark.

Another unrelated question (asking it now instead of opening a separate topic): Do the “elements” of a voice count towards the 128 note/voice polyphony limit or is a single voice *actually* a single voice regardless of how many “elements” it has?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2021 @ 05:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Xeraser - 23 February 2021 10:04 AM

I see, thank you. I’ll post in the XF forum once I get mine.

You’re welcome.

Xeraser -

I gave that a read and it’s pretty interesting. It’s kinda weird how they still specify the note count and not just “midi events” in general. But even with all the necessary MIDI events my biggest projects don’t even exceed the 22000 midi event mark.

Most users who run out of space either have a heavy touch and are accidentally recording a lot of aftertouch events, or have tons of continuous control data, such as Pitch Bend. The XF has a way to thin the data, if that’s a problem.

Xeraser -

Another unrelated question (asking it now instead of opening a separate topic): Do the “elements” of a voice count towards the 128 note/voice polyphony limit or is a single voice *actually* a single voice regardless of how many “elements” it has?

Each of the active Elements being played add to the polyphony count. Just because a Voice may have eight Elements doesn’t mean they’re all in use at any particular time.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/how_to_count_polyphony_motif_xs
--- and ---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php?ACT=39&fid=161&aid=14676_wT4JtnOgLl0ZtuldKSaL&board_id=1
The PDF is a table I created of Preset Voices in the XS/XF that use the AF (Assignable Function) buttons in a way which changes Element usage. See the last page of the PDF for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Tools software
Next Topic:

HELP , Motif Rack ES need Old OS OR BACKUP / Firmware 1.0 ››