mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90 Power On Errors"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: November 24, 2018 @ 06:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
m1muzik - 24 November 2018 04:36 PM

Hello everyone.

Welcome to the forum.

m1muzik -

I too am having the same power on issue with my s90 and suspect the similar components are faulty. I wanted to know what places is best to order the voltage regulators and which type is recommended.

The voltage regulators don’t tend to fail.

m1muzik -

So far I have ordered parts (electrolytic capacitors and currently looking for SMD chip-type capacitors) from eBay and Amazon. I had tried to order the parts via Yamaha’s support site but I haven’t had any luck especially using the correct part number references from the service manual. Any info would help.

Thanks

The electrolytic caps previously mentioned are typically what needs to be replaced. It’s not necessary to order such parts from Yamaha.

Your member profile doesn’t indicate your location, so making recommendations for parts suppliers is difficult. In the US, Mouser Electronics and DigiKey Electronics are usually good choices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2018 @ 06:58 PM
m1muzik
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-24-2018

5pinDIN -

Thanks for the fast reply! Yes, I am located in the United States. I’ll check those two places to order the rest of the capacitors that I need to replace. I have noticed on PSU board that there are darker lines coming from one of the regulators, I figured the regulator in that section would be burnt or needs changing. I’ll continue to replace the capacitors in my case and see it that resolves my power on errors.

Thanks again!

-M1muzik

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2018 @ 07:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome.

Have you checked voltages to determine if the regulator is/isn’t functioning correctly? Sometimes bad caps can cause excessive dissipation in such a device, or heat sinking is insufficient due to a mounting issue.

Typically Yamaha doesn’t manufacture the power supply, it’s purchased from another supplier. Therefore there’s usually no schematic or parts information for it in the SM. Yamaha provides a part number for the entire PSU.

If you need to replace the regulator, what identification do you see on the part?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2019 @ 11:40 PM
m1muzik
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-24-2018

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, I had forgotten my password and tried several times to reset my password and finally I was able to login back. Thank God I had found my password written somewhere in my phone, the password reset on this forum doesn’t work. Here is a picture of the PSU board. The middle section looks alittle dark especially around the voltage regulator area.

Picture 1

Main Picture

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2021 @ 12:52 AM
avanlooveren
Total Posts:  1
Joined  12-31-2021

Howdy, folks! Joined the forum just so that I could report the successful repair of my S90 based on this thread. So, first, thank you all! For the link to the service manual and also the descriptions of the issue and solution (replacing capacitors).

My S90 also (over the course of a year or more) began displaying the unregistered interrupt error screen over a year ago. And the “solve” of leaving it powered up to “warm up” and then be stable was getting more protracted and inconvenient over time. Came across this thread, found some time and a cheap O-scope (FNIRSI DSO Pro), and then replaced some 47uF surface mount caps, and voila! My S90 boots up straight away now.

So, 1) I wanted to thank y’all and 2) I thought it might be helpful to someone to have some details on my findings in this fix. I looked at IC’s 2, 36, 46, 47, and 57 (all voltage regulators).

IC    Vin   P-P     Vout   P-P    CAP   fix_P-P_in   fix_P-P_out
2     5.0   0.17    3.34   0.36   9     0.025        0.07
36   12.11  0.025   5.0    0.0    90   
46    5.0   0.17    3.36   0.46   124   0.03         0.022
47    5.0   0.175   3.33   0.022  125   0.032        0.012
57   12.11  0.0     5.06   0.0    154

(I tried to use BBCode for tables, but that didn’t work out.)
“P-P” is peak-to-peak fluctuation from the DC component, and the “fix” values are measured after soldering in the new caps. Amazingly better! From 10% fluctuations to 2%. Also, I didn’t touch C90 or C154 because their Vouts seemed “clean enough,” and my soldering skills are not great.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2023 @ 03:20 PM
adi_h
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-16-2023

I just signed up to report another successful repair of an S90 based on this thread. Thanks a lot to everybody in this thread for sharing all this valuable information!

It’s hard to google the error message, because the codes in it can change. One day I had this error:

=== system down ===

unregistrated interrupt.

error code     00000420
  occurence at   8c007620
  content of SR  40000000

Another day this one:

=== system down ===

unregistrated interrupt.

error code     00000180
  occurence at   8c01d3d0
  content of SR  40000001

I used the service manual to find the three capacitors C9, C124 and C125 (see page 35 and 36).

I don’t have any device to measure anything on the board, so I just replaced the capacitors with new Panasonic ones (radial, not SMD). I removed the original SMD capacitors first.

That’s what I used as replacement:
- Capacitor model: FC-A 47U 16
- Capacity: 47 µF
- Voltage: 16 VDC
- Ripple Current: 175 mA
- Tolerance: +/-20%

It’s important to put the new capacitors with the right polarity.
- On this page I learned how to read the polarity of the old capacitors.
- The new capacitors have a minus sign on the side

Attached images:
- the tools I used
- the new capacitors

Thanks again!

Image Attachments
2023-02-16 23.05.56_b2.jpg
2023-02-16 22.34.10_b2.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using S-90 with Yamaha Editor