mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Emergency! (Bulk dump) how to…"

Posted on: September 14, 2016 @ 11:38 PM
k9lbk9lb
Total Posts:  8
Joined  09-14-2016

I have 2 original motif racks. I turned the one in the studio off a few weeks ago during lightning storm as a precaution.  When I turned it back on it had defaulted to the original factory presets.  Luckily the one I have in my road rack is set up the same.  I need to upload all of the settings (bulk dump)from the road motif rack to a computer so I can then down load them to the studio motif rack.  It’s a good idea to have this backed up!!!

Also I’m thinking the internal battery on the studio rack has died so I’ll need to replace that as well… (and I think the other is not far behind) then download the settings again.
Can someone tell me how to upload and download the “memory” of the original motif rack please?!
Thanks, Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2016 @ 07:23 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Bulk dump procedure is described on p.56 of the manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2016 @ 10:14 AM
k9lbk9lb
Joined  09-14-2016

Thanks for the reply Meatballfulton, I see the paragraph devoted to the topic on pg. 56. However There must be more to it than this. How do you set up your computer to receive the data? Is it a sysex dump?  There is an awful lot of information to send and it takes a long time to send.  And when you send it, where does it go?
Once again, thanks for the direction.
Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2016 @ 08:55 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Yes, a Bulk Dump is SysEx data, of the form shown in section 3-6-4 on page 45 of the Motif-Rack Data List (http://download.yamaha.com/file/4540).

If you want to capture the data, you’ll need a SysEx utility compatible with your computer.

It should also be possible to directly dump the data from the “road” Rack to the “studio” Rack, by connecting a cable from MIDI-Out of the road unit to MIDI-In of the studio one. Make sure RcvBulkSw (Receive Bulk Dump Switch) of the studio unit is “on”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2016 @ 07:54 PM
k9lbk9lb
Joined  09-14-2016

Well, everything is easy when you know how…
And after looking over the information, I still don’t know how to do this.
Thank you for your efforts.
Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2016 @ 08:32 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Your member profile indicates you’re running Windows. I suggest MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com) to capture the Bulk Dump.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2016 @ 08:46 PM
k9lbk9lb
Joined  09-14-2016

I found this from when I updated my motif years ago, but I started with a clean slate back then.
I have never done a bulk dump or tried to input a bulk dump.
I have “recorded” a track with a bulk dump form my “good” Motif.  It looks like there is information there.  It took over 7 minutes. When I try to download it to the “factory reset” Motif, nothing happens.  I’m looking for the display to say something like “receiving midi sysex” or something like that.
Do I need to set the Mo up to receive?

File Attachments
motif update, back up.pdf  (File Size: 876KB - Downloads: 973)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2016 @ 10:56 PM
k9lbk9lb
Joined  09-14-2016

Thanks, I’ve downloaded Midiox and sent the sysex full dump from the good motif to my computer. 
Having trouble figuring how to save the file and send it to the Motif that desperately needs it.:)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2016 @ 10:59 PM
k9lbk9lb
Joined  09-14-2016

Gave the file a name and saved it, but went to upload to the other Motive but the file wasn’t there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2016 @ 11:41 PM
k9lbk9lb
Joined  09-14-2016

I guess I really only need to upload the “multi” And I was able to do that.  THANK YOU!!!
I never really changed any sounds. Only the midi multis with reverbs etc.  And all of that is controlled with the sequencer, but I had to have the multi working.
Thanks again. 5-pindin

[ Ignore ]