mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Volume control in Logic"

Posted on: February 22, 2015 @ 10:26 PM
Clevecavs
Total Posts:  18
Joined  02-18-2015

Finally picked up my MOX8 today and am in the process of trying to get it set up in Logic.  Running into an annoying issue:

I have the driver installed and have created an aggregate device (Saffire pro 14) which I am able to select as the input and output within logic. Local ctrl set to off and I did select Logic pro as the DAW in Util>General (Not sure if I should have but it made sense.

I have created 3 tracks:

1 - Software Instrument - MOX seems to send signal fine but I have no Volume control from the MOX itself on either slider.  Kind of a pain but not sure how to correct.  If I go into audio preference and choose the MOX as input and out put I have control of the volume on the MOX but I need to use the aggregate device because I use a condenser Mic. 

2 - External Midi - Shows 3 Pro14 MIDI devices and 4 Yamaha MOX6.  If I select any of the Yamaha’s regardless of channel I can see where the keystrokes are measuring but hear no audio/ If I select a ProMIDI14 device on any channel I hear the audio.  Master volume slider controls the volume although the volume is significantly lower than the same setting on the Software instrument track.

3 - Audio Track - Mic hooked up and seems to be working fine.

Are there some setting I am missing here?

How do I get the Master volume slider on the MOX to control volume with the Software instrument track?

How do I get the DAW Level slider to work at all?

Once I get this figured out it’s on to dividing a performance into separate tracks in Logic.  If anyone has a good resource I can use to get that part up and running I would appreciate it.

Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2015 @ 10:51 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Clevecavs,

Instrument tracks are for virtual instrument plug ins, like the ones that come with Logic (Ultrabeat etc) and the seemingly endless amounts of third party AU instrument plug ins you can buy and install.  Your MOX will be used to play those instruments, but that type of track should not be used with the MOX in mind.

External MIDI tracks are what you need to use, because your MOX is an external MIDI device. 

The 4 ‘devices’ you are seeing are MOX MIDI PORTS, each port has a specific use.  Port 1 is the port that the MOX will communicate musical MIDI data to and receive data from the computer on. So that’s the one you should use.

Port 2 is for remote control.  Port 3 is for the 5 Pin DIN MIDI jacks on the rear of your MOX, and Port 4 is for the Editor.

Your Audio Track is exactly that, it will allow you to monitor and record audio.

Unfortunately, you cannot get the master volume slider to control anything.

The DAW level slider allows you to hear audio returning from Logic, so the question really is, how are you actually listening to Logic?

So, what is cabled to your speakers/monitors, your MOX or your Focusrite?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 12:45 AM
Clevecavs
Joined  02-18-2015

Phil,

Thanks for the clarification on the devices.  I am using the external Midi track and as you stated, If I select the 1st Yamaha device it seems to be working fine and the master volume slider works.  I did figure out the volume differential (One of my mono cables out of the mox was bad)

The monitors are hooked up to the Saffire and the outputs of the mox are run into ports 3 and 4 on the Saffire since I use ports 1 and 2 for my mic and usually guitar.  The Daw level slider doesn’t seem to control anything and I have to use the monitor and/or headphone controls on the Saffire to listen while playing.

So I guess I’m now trying to figure out a way to use the Master Volume slider on a software instrument track and whether I can use the DAW level slider at all.  I have not installed any other software and I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a Yamaha program I need to install to get full DAW control so maybe that is my problem.  I’m also curious regarding recording a performance to multiple tracks since if I try to record that track now while in performance mode on the MOX I am only getting one instrument that is recording.

Thanks again for the help.

Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 01:03 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I see,

If you are hooking up the analogue outputs of your MOX to the inputs of your Focusrite, you do not need an aggregate device at all.  The Focusrite should be your chosen interface at all times.

That solves your DAW level slider problem, which is for USB audio only, when you use the MOX as an interface.

You went analogue, which is totally fine and is much more simple.

With your current configuration, any time you want to hear your MOX, you must have a stereo audio track set up in Logic and be monitoring it.

This might take you back to your initial problem on your last post, which was about hearing your MOX when you don’t want to use your computer.

I’m not clear about what you are trying to use an instrument track for, but you shouldn’t be using one with the MOX and hoping to control the MOX with it.  There are several virtual instruments that come installed with Logic, though.

Splitting up a performance is at the harder end of things, so you’re best off getting everything set up and working before you try that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 01:14 AM
Clevecavs
Joined  02-18-2015

What is the downside to way I am hooked up?  As I mentioned I do want to be able to record a performance from the mix to multiple tracks in logic and I do have the MOX hooked up via USB.  Is my goal in setting up the multiple tracks in logic just an issues of routing the appropriate channels of a performance to the correct tracks in logic?

I think this is where I’m confusing myself… I have several option available regarding hook up so I I’m not entirely sure of the best way to go.  I did notice when selecting either aggregate of MOX my latency went up a tad in the settings box but I’m assuming that’s the firewire vs. USB.  It’s minimal so I’m not concerned.

Aggregate

Saffire

Mox

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 02:26 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

You’ll find your problem requires more of a happy balance than anything else.

Cabled the way you are, you have stereo left and right from your MOX into the Focusrite.

A performance (your goal) could be made of up to 4 parts.

If you are happy to mute parts of your performance off to isolate the part you want to record, shuffle that around and keep doing it until you’ve got all 4 parts, or up to 4 parts recorded, working with synchronisation, then leave it as it is.

Your USB audio interface on the MOX, offers 2 stereo outputs or 4 mono outputs digitally, so it is not really much quicker. You’ll still need to use sync.

Since speed doesn’t bother me in the slightest on this and I’d rather take care, I’d leave it the way it is.

The downside is that you need to use Logic if you fancy a play on your MOX, at any time, since it is cabled in to your Focusrite.  Unless you don’t mind redirecting those cables to your amplification.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 07:57 PM
Clevecavs
Joined  02-18-2015

Let the problems continue. 

As we discussed last night I had sound and signal and there were no problems.  I get from work today, fire up Logic and while I hear fine when I load a software instrument when I load an external Midi track I can see the signal going through but no output??  Nothing changed since last night so I totally don’t get it.  Local control is off and I can see where logic is getting the signal from the MOX I just can’t hear it.  Works fine with the software instrument.

Any ideas?

Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 08:20 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Yes,

External MIDI tracks aren’t for software instruments.

Instrument tracks are for software instruments.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 08:53 PM
Clevecavs
Joined  02-18-2015

Yes, I am aware of that.  The track in question is an external Midi track and I cannot hear the MOX voice although I can see the signal.  Sorry if the question was confusing.  I can hear fine while controlling a software instrument track.  When I click on my external midi track I can see signal but hear nothing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2015 @ 10:09 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

Do you have an audio track set up alongside the external MIDI track, monitoring the MOX?

Since your MOX is cabled analogue to your Focusrite, you need a way of hearing it… and an Audio Track will let you do that. 

You only need one audio track though, a stereo one, and you won’t need to add one each time you create a new external MIDI track.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX setup questions
Next Topic:

Need help getting MOXF to play Software Instrument ››