mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Mixers"

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 01:46 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

At the moment I have a N12 mixer and I want to expand the number of channels. Is it wise to buy a second N12 to do the job or should I look to a 01V96 or equivalent of it.

I am confused. According Yamaha the model 01V96V1 and V2 are discontinued. So what will be the successor of these models.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 05:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The 01v has evolved as a mixer since its introduction in the late 1990s. The most recent version, which is at least the fifth generation, is the 01v96i. The “i” signifying it is a computer INTERFACE, providing 16-in/16-out via USB. In addition to being a Swiss Army knife mixer, and being on stage with virtually every major touring act, the 01v-series can now act as a recording mixer, capturing 16 bus outputs simultaneously.

The 01v96i is a USB system. Yamaha currently does not make a FW version of this console. And it uses the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver.

These are things you should consider when thinking of adding additional channels. Your n12, of course, is using the YSFW driver, if you are running v1.03, and is using the mLAN driver if you are still running 1.02. So either way you are using the FireWire connection and the appropriate driver for your n12.

The n8/n12 were basically designed for the Home Studio where the number of inputs would be more or less fixed ... That is, there is no official way to “cascade” two of them. Each will maintain its 16 bus outputs to the computer during your record sessions, and you can certainly setup so you can monitor the expander n12 through the one acting as your main mixer.

I’ve never done this but in theory this is completely workable.

How many simultaneous inputs do you need?
How many musicians do you envision playing simultaneously?
Have you worked out the headphone situation?

These are the types of questions that must be dealt with, particularly in a home studio situation, once you outgrow 12 simultaneous inputs. You don’t need to answer these, I just put them forward because I’ve been here before with more than a few end users.

It might be time to weigh a different solution - Yamaha offers a complete line up of digital mixer solutions
The previously mentioned 01v96i, the DM1000VCM, 02r96VCM, DM2000VCM, etc, etc.,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 13, 2014 @ 05:34 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Bad Mister,

Thanks. This is very helpful. I always thought you could cascade the N12 mixers. Yes, I am running out input channels because I have connected several synthesizers with stereo outputs and tone generator modules (also stereo). Besides that I use channels 1 and 2 for microphones. So it would be nice to have some extra stereo inputs. Maybe I am lazy guy because I do not like to pull out every time plugs from my mixer. LOL.

Of course I do not play all those synths at the same time, but it is nice when they are already plugged in the mixer when I need to play one of them.

Maybe a stupid Idea, but suppose I buy another N8 or N12, could I not connect the stereo audio output from one mixer which has all the synths and tone generator with their stereo outputs to a a pair input channels on the second mixer, after I have mixed all those stereo tracks from those tone modules???? Or is that not practical?

Jan

[ Ignore ]