mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling Uses"

Posted on: July 07, 2013 @ 03:46 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

I’m hoping some of you will step up with some input.  I’m finally at a point with my Motif experience where I want to delve into sampling; Its seems to be a significant feature that I’ve not tapped into.  I understand what sampling is....I’ve even made some vocal tracks for my songs using the sampler.  I’ve read some support articles on inserting samples into drum kits, etc but I would really like to know WHAT sort of projects could I use sampling for? 

I’m kind of looking for a punch list of different things I can do with the Motif ISS.  I really appreciate your suggestions, ideas or different uses you’ve had with the sampler.

thanking you all in advance!

Rich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2013 @ 04:42 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I would really like to know WHAT sort of projects could I use sampling for?

That is almost like asking, what can I record with a microphone? It is too big a subject.

Everything from incidental sound effects, to vocal tracks. Your cousin playing acoustic guitar, your dog howling at the moon, drum grooves from your favorite classic records, crickets, helicopters, thunder, rain, the ocean… you name it.

The limitations allow for many things.

The longest sample at high resolution is 6 minutes and 20 seconds. 
The sample can be stereo or mono.
Any track designated for audio can contain as many as 128 samples!

It can be via microphone (weak signal) or a line level signal (strong signal), or anything in between (guitars/basses)…

Go for it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 07, 2013 @ 06:48 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Ok Phil .... I know (or suspect) you’re not out there sampling that dog howling at the moon, but I understand what you mean.  That’s why I was just looking for experiential “samples” of what different motif users were dong with their samplers, if anything at all. 
So when you tell me a track can contain as many as 128 samples, I suspect no one would do this, but I don’t really know the reasons for putting more than one sample on a track.  These were the things I’m looking for....just sorta brainstorming. 

I read your article on basics of ISS.  It put me right into it!
Had fun laying down some vocal tracks using both A and B insert effects....one being the Misc. Step Down effect on A and a flange effect on B.....wild stuff?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2013 @ 03:56 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

So when you tell me a track can contain as many as 128 samples, I suspect no one would do this, but I don’t really know the reasons for putting more than one sample on a track.

You would place more than one sample on a track when they are going to be treated similarly in your mix. For example, background vocals… Say you want to create a choir out of your own singing voice.

you can select a Track and designate it for AUDIO. On KEY = C3 you can lay down the first vocal recording.
While playing back the vocal recorded on C3, you can overdub a second vocal part on C#3.
While listening back to the two vocals on C3 and C#3 you can add a third vocal pass on D3, and so on.

How many voices do you want in your vocal choir?… max is 128 (correct, no one would do that) but you might build a 10-15 voice choir this way. (or build your own BarberShop Quartet!)

Recognize that each recording is turned on (plays back) via a NOTE-ON event and can independently be set as to volume using MIDI Velocity. Backing vocals are a perfect candidate for the same track because you will likely EQ, fade and effect them as a group. (Make sense?)

Second example, say you have a friend over to play a “real” electric guitar solo on one of your tracks. You know guitar players… they never get it on the first take. Record their first attempt to C3… listen back, they will inevitably ask you to “keep” that one, but let them try another.

Don’t open another track… simply set the playback Velocity of the C3 note to 0, setup to sample the guitar again to C#3… Okay this one is better, but can a try another.... Sure, no problem, set its playback velocity to 0 and target D3 and so on.

Somewhere around take 13, they nail it. :-)

Of course, you own a Motif-series so you can easily IMPORT all of this to Cubase using the IMPORT MOTIF XF SONG function (MIDI tracks go to Cubase MIDI tracks Audio Tracks are inserted on a Cubase Audio Track)… and with its extensive COMPING tools, you can take the best licks from each of the 13 takes and assemble a great guitar solo.

When you are guitar player hears the end result - she or he will think they are a genius! :-)

Again because the source is the same instrument and would likely easily share the same EQ, and effects, this is a way to use more than one sample on a Track.

And things like sound effects - since recording can be done and sample KEY BANKS can be copied and moved around as you may require, let your imagination run wild. Any thing that can be recorded can be placed in your Motif XF… as long as you know where the limitations of the ceiling and walls are - round around and have fun.

Longest single sample is 6 minutes and 20 seconds (at the highest resolution 44.1kHz)
Samples are triggered by NOTE-ON Events
Volume is determined by NOTE-ON Velocity
All samples on the same audio track will exist in a single USER SAMPLE VOICE that can contain as many as 128 KEY BANKS C-2 through G8

third example: You find a dynamite Drum groove and want to use its sounds as a DRUM KIT for your own music.
Sample the Drum Groove; Use the Sample SLICE function to divide the audio so that each Kick, Snare, and Hihat hit is mapped to a different KEY. Once SLICED you wind up with multiple samples on the same track… you can either use this to TIME STRETCH the drum groove to any tempo from 5BPM to 300BPM all without any audio artifacts (if you are careful) or you can simply manually play your own drum part using the sounds of this audio clip - since each kick, snare and Hihat sound is on a separate key - this is easy.

That should get your started…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2014 @ 08:59 AM
synthiboi
Total Posts:  8
Joined  11-22-2013

sorry to dig up an old thread, but i ran across this and i am sorta wondering the same thing.
I am using Cubase and want to create patterns in the Motif and transfer to Cubase for guitar parts....

so i am wondering....what would i use the sampler for? Seems like whatever i sampled could be done easier in cubase - probably with more flexability....i don’t know im a newb…

Phil, your suggestions are creative for sure, but in Cubase couldnt this all be done the same and slightly easier? Seems like the sampler is great for making the motif an “all in one” recording solution...but for those who want to use it with a DAW it may be less useful....am i off base here.

[ Ignore ]