mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "connecting piano via MIDI to USB MIDI equipped keyboard"

Posted on: September 05, 2013 @ 12:32 PM
adampoewilson
Total Posts:  2
Joined  06-30-2013

I need to know whether this can even work or not before I go digging in storage to find a MIDI cable.

I use a Yamaha P-85 piano & a Yamaha PSR - S700 keyboard.  I don’t have a 5 pin adapter for the piano (i.e. - MIDI cables hook in one end, and the other goes into USB port on computer).

Is it even POSSIBLE to connect MIDI cables to the PSR, and connect the PSR to the computer at the same time?!  What I aim to be able to do is play the piano parts on the P-85 and have those notes I’m playing via the P-85 sent into the PSR and from there on in to the computer.

If you all have any questions, I’ll try my best to make it plainer.

Thanks!!!

Adam

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2013 @ 12:48 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

I am not exactly sure how this question fits into the Motif XF Forum, but hopefully someone will have some insight for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2013 @ 01:21 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

This should really be in the Freebie section

Here’s the routing though. You will need to connect the P85 to your computer as indicated in its Owner’s Manual (with a UX16 interface cable).

This will allow the P85 to act as a controller keyboard in your setup.

You would turn LOCAL CONTROL = OFF in the P85, this disconnects the P85 keybed from the P85 tone engine, this way MIDI commands travel out to the computer where with the appropriate software you can re-route the MIDI signal either back to the P85 or to another connected device.

You would connect the PSR-S700 to the computer via USB as well.  The software that you will use will (should) allow you to interconnect your devices as you require.

You will need software. The computer is a really dumb device until you run some software that can direct it as to what you want to do. Do you have any idea what music software you will be running?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha PKBZ1 Z-style stand specs
Next Topic:

Connecting Garageband to Motif 8 - Help ››