mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "External Audio Interface or Motif XS Built-in Interface?"

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 03:40 AM
edouard.m.julien@gmail.com
Total Posts:  15
Joined  09-09-2012

I have a Motif XS with the built-in audio interface.  Currently, my Motif XS is connected to my iMac via the FW.  The Motif Editor is the major application I use with Cubase 7 to take full advantage of the sounds on my Motif XS. 

Now, I want to record vocals into Cubase 7 for production.  It is my understanding that the Motif XS, used as an audio interface, is capable of accomplishing this task through the A/D input (plug a mic into it);however, this is only when using a dynamic mic. and not a condenser. I understand that I can also use an audio interface, i.e UR-22, UR-28M, etc. to record vocal using either a condenser or dynamic mic.

Right now, I am weighing the option of purchasing the UR-22 or using the Motif XS build-in audio interface with a dynamic mic.

My question is, is there a difference in recording quality between the two interfaces?  It seems like, the UR-22 interface might provide more flexibility as well.  But, I have very limited knowledge on the matter.

Also, if I were to purchase the UR-22, how will I set it up with my Motif XS? Will I still need to connect to my computer and Cubase through the FW and also be able to use my Motif Editor?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 05:57 AM
Lennyx
Total Posts:  76
Joined  06-10-2012

You don’t need an additional audio interface to record with a condenser mic.

Do you have a mixer with phantom power? If you do, plug the mic into the mixer. The mixers output will than be connected to the Motifs A/D input.

Or you can buy a battery powered phantom unit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 09:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Lennyx is correct. Of course, if you have a mixer it is an elegant solution. And not all condenser microphones offer self power (battery or external)…

If you don’t have a mixer with Phantom Power, then the UR22 is a very high quality and small solution to your situation. The UR22 is a USB audio interface from Steinberg, that features Yamaha’s D-Pre (Class A) Mic preamplifiers. Sound quality is awesome. When you need a no-compromise solution for external input to your computer this is an excellent choice.

It uses the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for ASIO.

As to how. You can use this and FW from your XS ... It is likely in a recording scenario you would probably lay down the music tracks before overdubbing the vocals… As an example. In such a situation, you can record using the XS via FireWire, recording individual tracks as you may require.

Since Cubase has as one of its unsung features, the ability to switch drivers, when you are ready to overdub your condenser mic input simply switch the ASIO Driver. Remember either driver can playback your audio… It is the input that requires sorting out by the different drivers. One thing of course is the device acting as the audio interface must connect to your Monitor speakers.

If you are running on a Mac, you can build an Aggregate Audio device that simultaneously let’s you handle the 16 inputs from the XS and the 2 from the UR22.

Hope that information is helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 10:38 AM
Joined  09-09-2012

Lennyx, Bad_Mister, thank you so much for the prompt responses.  You have been a great help.

Unfortunately, I do not own any sort of mixer or phantom unit.  All I have right now are my Motif XS8 and Cubase on my Mac. 

It appears that the UR22, as Bad_Mister suggested, will be my best bet for now.

You guys are awesome.
Thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 10:49 AM
Joined  09-09-2012

Bad_Mister,

In the last paragraph above, you made mention to “[building] an Aggregate Audio device that simultaneously lets [me] handle the 16 inputs from the XS AND the 2 from the UR22”.  That sounds very interesting. 

I will make my purchase of the UR22 today and should receive it buy the July 9 and will be back here for your and Lennyx input again (or anyone else willing to share his knowledge).

Again, thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2013 @ 05:45 PM
Lennyx
Total Posts:  76
Joined  06-10-2012

Edouard

I’m glad to share the little knowledge I have, but Bad Mister is surely the top expert around here and a great source of knowledge.

Welcome to this forum and and enjoy your instrument!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 06, 2013 @ 03:25 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Bad_Mister,

In the last paragraph above, you made mention to “[building] an Aggregate Audio device that simultaneously lets [me] handle the 16 inputs from the XS AND the 2 from the UR22”.  That sounds very interesting.

Yes, the Macintosh operating system allows the user to create their own audio device (Aggregate) which can be a combination of your audio interfaces simultaneously. This is Mac only, however, and is a function of how audio is handle in that platform.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Completely Set up Motif XS to Work with Cubase
Next Topic:

Apple Mac mini ››