mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS8 -> printable score"

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 09:29 AM
dnuttall
Total Posts:  12
Joined  05-31-2009

I want to be able to create MIDI files from my XS8 so that I can import them to Sibelius 6 to create a reasonable approximation of the recording.

At this point, I’m only interested in scoring ad-libbed piano tracks (mostly hymns). 

How do I create a MIDI track where almost everything below middle C goes into a bass clef and above into a treble clef?

Creating a separate track for each hand seems to be the only way my inexperienced brain can visualize it....hopefully there is another way, which is what I hope someone can tell me what to do.

I’m going to use Cubase 4I on a laptop which is connected/working.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, TX

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 09:46 AM
kr=d+=+
Total Posts:  125
Joined  03-20-2009
dnuttall - 16 October 2009 09:29 AM

I want to be able to create MIDI files from my XS8 so that I can import them to Sibelius 6 to create a reasonable approximation of the recording.

At this point, I’m only interested in scoring ad-libbed piano tracks (mostly hymns). 

How do I create a MIDI track where almost everything below middle C goes into a bass clef and above into a treble clef?

Creating a separate track for each hand seems to be the only way my inexperienced brain can visualize it....hopefully there is another way, which is what I hope someone can tell me what to do.

I’m going to use Cubase 4I on a laptop which is connected/working.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, TX

ad-libbed printing cannot be done on this way.
You need a clean placement in bars if you want to use your recordings for printing.

How do I create a MIDI track where almost everything below middle C goes into a bass clef and
above into a treble clef?

This you do in your print application while importing the midifile, or after that. I don’t know Sibelius (I’m a Finale user) but it must be possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 09:48 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

dnuttal,

I have to try it whether it is possible to do it in Cubase 4. You Cubase 4, right?

So you play/record you piano play on midi track in Cubase 4 or 5.
Then highlight the recorded track and select in the top menu bar midi, and scores. Set the score in polyphony and split on C3. After doing that you will get a score with a treble clef and the bass clef.

I suppose I now can copy/paste the bass clef notes in one time to another midi track. However, I have to check that out in Cubase. Maybe Cubase is offering a possibility to split a midi track on the C3 point. I do’nt know yet. Maybe it is better to ask that in the Steinberg forum

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 09:59 AM
dnuttall
Joined  05-31-2009
jan bruijn - 16 October 2009 09:48 AM

I have to try it whether it is possible to do it in Cubase 4. You Cubase 4, right?

YES, Cubase 4I as bundled with the XS-8 here in the U.S.

So you play/record you piano play on midi track in Cubase 4 or 5.
Then highlight the recorded track and select in the top menu bar midi, and scores. Set the score in polyphony and split on C3. After doing that you will get a score with a treble clef and the bass clef.

That is to say that I split the track IN Cubase before trying to import the resulting MIDI to Sibelius?  That makes a lot of sense, but it would have taken me “years” to figure that out!

I suppose I now can copy/paste the bass clef notes in one time to another midi track. However, I have to check that out in Cubase. Maybe Cubase is offering a possibility to split a midi track on the C3 point. I don’t know yet. Maybe it is better to ask that in the Steinberg forum

Good point that a Steinberg forum may be a better place.

Thanks, Jan.

Dave

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 16, 2009 @ 08:38 PM
dnuttall
Joined  05-31-2009

After a fair amount of off-line discussions with local musicians, I’m led to think what I need to do is “split the XS8 output” into two MIDI channels, one from lowest to B below middle C (C4) and the other with middle C (C4) and above.

But none of my local contacts have knowledge of the XS8.

How do you setup the XS8 so that the keyboard output is split between two MIDI channels where the top or bottom key is specified as middle C?

The assumption then is that if I capture two channels and export the 2-channel capture, then Sibelius will split between bass and treble clefs.

TIA for sharing your knowledge.

Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, TX

[ Ignore ]